Author Topic: The $780 billion stimulus bill can be paid down..  (Read 898 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
The $780 billion stimulus bill can be paid down..
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »
Funniest thread of the day !

NAO  (1000+ posts) Mon Feb-09-09 10:46 PM
Original message
The $780 billion stimulus bill can be paid down if we legalized marijuana

A few select excerpts from this fascinating column:

"Now here is the controversial part: Perhaps it is time to revisit this debate on whether or not to actually legalize marijuana. It just may be a boost to our ailing economy. If we actually legalize it to be sold in controlled businesses similar to liquor stores, just think of how the government can tax this new commodity..."

"Think of the manufacturing base that can spring up around it such as making good old American bongs. Something to think about as we see plant-after-plant close. As many industries go belly-up, think of the many cottage industries that can spring up by selling these products. New businesses are always a plus for an ailing economy..."

"In Rachael Baldwin’s column for The Collegian, right off the bat she writes, “The legalization of marijuana would greatly impact the U.S. economy. According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, DEA, website, marijuana is “America’s most valuable crop.” With Washington looking for sources of cash to infuse into our economy, just think if it got down off its moral high-horse and legalized it. Found money!"

OKAY, I've probably already exceeded quotation guidelines, so just go to the link:

Link

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5020016

midnight  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Mon Feb-09-09 10:50 PM
Response to Original message
1. That makes alot of sense. Marijuana could really turn the

textile industry around here in America. It can be grown without lots of pesticides. I see this as a wonderful cash crop for many farmers. Enough fighting about this war on drugs. Just end it already.

ThoughtCriminal (1000+ posts)  Mon Feb-09-09 10:51 PM
2. Can we really smoke that much pot?

I may not be that patriotic.

I'm sure you won't have any shortage of people willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.

razors edge Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Feb-09-09 11:25 PM
Response to Reply #2
9. I would like to try.

Just get rid of those damned piss tests.

Ian David Donating Member (1000+ posts) Mon Feb-09-09 10:52 PM
3. We'll cut unemployment in half.

Edited on Mon Feb-09-09 10:53 PM by Ian David
If pot is legal, we'll have to hire twice as many people to do the same amount of work.

But you'll spend twice as long waiting in line for a hamburger, and on-hold for your cable company.

But you'll have a snack with you anyway.

Look how the tiles on the floor make a pattern.

BrightKnight  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Feb-10-09 12:56 AM
19. LOL - Just nationalize Big Oil and pay for everything. - n/t

I'm still trying to figure out if the thread is serious or not.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: The $780 billion stimulus bill can be paid down..
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »
Funniest thread of the day !

I'm sure you won't have any shortage of people willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Its $838 billion now without debt servicing, that makes it more than $1.3 trillion. Added to the around $9 trillion we already spent on bailouts.
I am sure legalizing pot would be nice for YOU but it ain't gonna fix the economy

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »
Legalizing pot will do what it's done for CA budget. Revenues from pot have fixed the torrential flow of red ink. Idiots.  :banghead: :hammer: :loser:

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »

Of course it's serious...remember who we're talking about here.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
Saving the country, one bong hit at a time.  That is the kind of patriotism the DUmmies can get behind. :usflag:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »
I did some consulting work in the textile manufacturing world making high speed inspection equipment.  I don't know about anywhere else but a huge amount of processed cotton came out of california. Now there is next to known because of... wait... EPA rules.  Yep a ridiculous deadline to spend billions of dollars to update plants.  The companies all went over to china where it was far cheaper to run their plants and the government actually wanted the companies to thrive. 

1. No textile plants.
2. No companies that make equipment for the textile plants.
3. No companies that catered to the textile plant's workers.
4. No tax revenues from all of the above.
5. No government employees to ovwersee the textile plants...HAHAHA just kidding those government employees were put on other businesses to drive them out of state.  So according to obama hundreds of jobs were created or saved.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.