Author Topic: Obama Administration Maintains Bush Position on 'Extraordinary Rendition'  (Read 1048 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
BlueJessamine (366 posts)        Mon Feb-09-09 03:35 PM
Original message
Obama Administration Maintains Bush Position on 'Extraordinary Rendition' Lawsuit   
 Advertisements [?]Source: ABC News

The Obama Administration today announced that it would keep the same position as the Bush Administration in the lawsuit Mohamed et al v Jeppesen Dataplan, Inc.

The case involves five men who claim to have been victims of extraordinary rendition -- including current Guantanamo detainee Binyam Mohamed, another plaintiff in jail in Egypt, one in jail in Morocco, and two now free. They sued a San Jose Boeing subsidiary, Jeppesen Dataplan, accusing the flight-planning company of aiding the CIA in flying them to other countries and secret CIA camps where they were tortured.

A year ago the case was thrown out on the basis of national security, but today the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals heard the appeal, brought by the ACLU.

A source inside of the Ninth U.S. District Court tells ABC News that a representative of the Justice Department stood up to say that its position hasn't changed, that new administration stands behind arguments that previous administration made, with no ambiguity at all. The DOJ lawyer said the entire subject matter remains a state secret.

This is not going to please civil libertarians and human rights activists who had hoped the Obama administration would allow the lawsuit to proceed.

Read more: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/02/obama-a...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ACLU says the Obama administration reneged on civil liberties, offers "more of the same."

Anthony D. Romero, Executive Director of the ACLU said of the decision: “Eric Holder’s Justice Department stood up in court today and said that it would continue the Bush policy of invoking state secrets to hide the reprehensible history of torture, rendition and the most grievous human rights violations committed by the American government. This is not change. This is definitely more of the same. Candidate Obama ran on a platform that would reform the abuse of state secrets, but President Obama’s Justice Department has disappointingly reneged on that important civil liberties issue. If this is a harbinger of things to come, it will be a long and arduous road to give us back an America we can be proud of again.”

HereSince1628  (1000+ posts)        Mon Feb-09-09 03:38 PM
Response to Original message
2. I hope scrotum slicing is no longer considered an operating procedure
 that we accept as part of dropping these detainees in foreign lands. 
ima_sinnic (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-09-09 03:39 PM
3. well, isn't that special. I think I really do want my campaign contributions refunded.
 I actually believed him, about "change" and all that ****ing BULLSHIT.

**** YOU, I did NOT vote for "RENDITION." sheesh. I wash my hands of the whole stinking "change administration" as a trojan horse for the war criminals.
That hopey changey thing is really not working out is it?  :rotf:   
Tiggeroshii (1000+ posts)        Mon Feb-09-09 03:48 PM
5. Can we feel any more insulted?
Ompeach now!!11!!ELEVENTY
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:37:37 PM by bijou »

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Obama Administration Maintains Bush Position on 'Extraordinary Rendition'
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:35:12 PM »
They "hope" for "change" and this is what they get . . .  :rotf: :lmao: :tongue: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »
Off-the-cuff faux rage on their behalf.  It's B. Hussein now. Give them time, they'll find a way to justify it.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:51:07 PM »
Tiggeroshii (1000+ posts)        Mon Feb-09-09 03:48 PM
5. Can we feel any more insulted?

If you did, would anybody care?  The election is over, useful idiots, get back in your pen!   :rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 03:53:47 PM »

"we can't afford four more years of failed bush-mccain policies".

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 04:53:42 PM »
did they really expect Obamatician to be different?

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »
did they really expect Obamatician to be different?

Yes, they did.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:30:36 AM »
they keep getting dumber and dumber by the nanosecond

Offline djones520

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »
I've gotta give Obama credit for buying a damn good bus.  He just rolled over the DUmp like it was nothing.   :rotf:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »
 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 11:32:37 AM »
I've gotta give Obama credit for buying a damn good bus.  He just rolled over the DUmp like it was nothing.   :rotf:

Oh but didn't he trade that bus for a train when he made his grand entrance before his coronation (to think Jesus only had a donkey)? You can get a lot more people under a train and they're flatter and bloodier.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »
Sing along with me, CCers . . .

The wheels on the bus go thump, thump, thump
Over the DUmp!

:beer:

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 11:58:02 AM »
Oh but didn't he trade that bus for a train when he made his grand entrance before his coronation (to think Jesus only had a donkey)? You can get a lot more people under a train and they're flatter and bloodier.

Cindie

yeah, but even God worked through moses when he parted the red sea.  The BarackStar! is already fixing our oceans, and he apparently works alone.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 02:12:45 PM »
You know, I got some flak--and a definite lack of reader interest--when I posted desciptions of my dreams about 0bama and the 0bamaite primitives last spring.

0bama selling the 0bamaite primitives down the river, 0bama reaching the other side of the Red Sea, and then unparting the waters, drowning the 0bamaite primitives following him, &c., &c., &c.

I wonder if anyone's noticed all those dreams have since come true.

It's not that dreams are prophetic; it's just that franksolich knows primitive nature, and so certain, uh, things are utterly predictable.
apres moi, le deluge