Author Topic: DU sad that stimulus bill so small  (Read 1560 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

DU sad that stimulus bill so small
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:17:31 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3727211

kpete  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-06-09 06:05 PM
Original message
Senators reach tentative $780B stimulus deal, sources say   
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Fri Feb-06-09 06:14 PM by kpete
Source: CNN

Senators reach tentative $780B stimulus deal, sources say Watch Now: Live on CNN.com.

February 6th, 2009
Stimulus agreement reached, sources say
Posted: 05:46 PM ET

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Democratic and Republican Senate negotiators have reached a tentative agreement for a $780 billion stimulus package, according to two Democratic sources and a GOP negotiator.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has taken the list of cuts to the nearly $900 billion Senate bill to fellow Democrats, the sources said.

The Senate plans to reconvene at 6:30 p.m. ET.

Read more: http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/02/06/stimulus-agreem... /

acmavm  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-06-09 06:22 PM
Response to Reply #1
8. Oh?
 Eliminations:

Head Start, Education for the Disadvantaged, School improvement, Child Nutrition, Firefighters, Transportation Security Administration, Coast Guard, Prisons, COPS Hiring, Violence Against Women, NASA, NSF, Western Area Power Administration, CDC, Food Stamps

GinaMaria  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-06-09 06:39 PM
Response to Reply #8
12. heartbreaking.
 Aren't food stamps one of the fastest acting methods to stimulate an economy? I thought I read that somewhere here. These are terrible losses. I hope they can be restored and delivered soon. They are needed.

:o I had to read that 4 times, lol

Believing Is Art (410 posts)     Fri Feb-06-09 07:05 PM
Response to Reply #12
15. I think that's from Moody's Economy
 Food stamps and unemployment, then infrastructure. Corporate tax cuts are the worst, losing 70 cents on ever dollar of tax cut.

::)

truebrit71  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-06-09 07:09 PM
Response to Reply #8
17. Are you joking or is that really what was negotiated out of the deal by our brave leader Reid?
 If that is the case then we need to SERIOUSLY start a campaign to get rid of him as Senate Majority leader. He is absolutely ****ing useless....

It's a bonfire but I can't go on without losing brain cells.

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: DU sad that stimulus bill so small
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:40:39 PM »
They act like that stuff in not going to be funded at all. The stuff will still be funded but using the normal channels.

Head Start, Education for the Disadvantaged, School improvement, Child Nutrition, Firefighters, Transportation Security Administration, Coast Guard, Prisons, COPS Hiring, Violence Against Women, NASA, NSF, Western Area Power Administration, CDC, Food Stamps

What does any of this stuff have to do with stimulating the economy... ?
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:40:58 PM »
Good, now have no Republican vote for the thing again.  Let this thing land completely on the commie's heads.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:40:17 PM »
Of course it's too small..

cliffordu  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Feb-07-09 12:03 AM
Original message
Three trillion.

I'd roll three trillion into

Infrastructure,

K-12 schools and FREE COLLEGE for anyone who qualifies.

Single payer health care.

A gracious, graceful 10 year end to the gasoline powered automobile.

Absolutely no taxes for small (200 acre) family owned organic farms. Interest free loans for families that want to start one.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8176361

I know ! Lets spend three times that amount.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:36:20 AM »
Their dreams have nothing to do with economics of course but what is in it for them on the assumption that their lives will be left worry free.

What the DUmbfux can`t grasp is with the likely inflation that will ensue from this and the fact that they won`t be included in the list of freebies their lives will be much worse.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:01:36 AM »
They're already trying to create excuses for when this piece of junk legislation fails.  "Boo Hoo Hoo, if only it had been more!"

Quote from:
GinaMaria

Aren't food stamps one of the fastest acting methods to stimulate an economy?

Oddly enough, one of them put up some graph they claimed was CBO numbers that said for every $1 spent by a food stamp recipient that it generated $1.73 back into the economy.  It was listed along with stats that said whenever you kept a dollar rather than the gov't taking it in tax, you would only spend something like $.50 of that dollar.

I'd have to go to the CBO and read about that chart and what it really represented.  Some DUmmie was saying that a food stamp dollar bought a grocery product which in turn was used to buy from a wholesaler who in turn used it buy product from distribution houses, etc...  But, that could be said about any $1 spent, so that was a worthless point.  The only minor point that could be made is that if the gov't gave you $1 you might be more likely to go out and blow it than if you had to earn the $1.    But the stat itself, given how it was presented by the DUmmies, doesn't add up.  If the gov't gives you $1, it's not going to earn enough in the market to pay back the dollar and then some in short time.  If that were the case, the gov't should just print up gobs of cash and hand out everyone $1M so it could get back from everyone the $1M plus.  A $1 earned is much more likely to add to the tax coffers.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
femmocrat  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-07-09 07:05 PM
Response to Reply #66
68. Why the f*ck are the repubs still pulling the strings?
 This really has me upset. What kind of tax cuts anyhow? Dammit.

femmocrat in a nutshell, "This bill sucks. Also, what's in this bill?".

tom_paine  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-07-09 07:05 PM
Response to Reply #68
71. Because America is not a democratic-republic anymore, but an Inverted Totalitarianism
 Edited on Sat Feb-07-09 09:05 AM by tom_paine
If you think about it, the Repugs ruled during Clinton, and they rule now, as much as is possible without tipping their hands that freedom and democracy are long in the past for the American Subject Populace.

And until the crash hits hard, anyway, this was the nicest Totalitarian Tyranny that ever was.

Yes, the Repugs are still calling the shots. Yes, it's a puzzlment, much as it was in the very early 1930s when the Nazis had not yet gained majority power and the Chancellorship, yet still started running things in the "soft power" way long before Hitler ascended.

That was Hitler's Plan, to destroy the hated freedoms from within, after he had been defeated when trying it the "old fashioned way".

Quite frankly, the Bushies, after being defeated in their own Nazi-like putsch attempt in 1934-5, seem to have made a similar vow and have been successful at fufilling it.

Now, America is completely prostrate and unable to defend itself. Bushie Lies, so similar in structure and shameless audacity as Nazi Lies, are now our conventional wisdom.

I am sure the Bushies wanted to steal this election, but this is not Nazi Germany and ths such ham-fisted tactics cannot yet be performed.

But there will come a time. The Bushies will be back, and resume right where they left off.

UNLESS, Obama's Enlightenment strategy of reason and Old American Values is going to work against Nazis or Bushies. It never has before, and in the "kinder and entler nazi Way" that IS the Bushies, it certainly got it's ass kicked this time.

tom_paine in a nutshell, "Bushitler!!".

No Elephants  (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-07-09 08:16 PM
Response to Reply #79
80. After I posted, I clicked on your truthdig link and started to read. My analysis 
 is certainly not as detailed as his, but I noted he and I agree as to apathy:

“Every apathetic citizen is a silent enlistee in the cause of inverted totalitarianism.”

(I see his "silent" and raise him "clueless.")

If Peter Zenger could do it with broadsides, no Internet and no automobiles, trains, etc., we should be able to do it, but I am not sure how. I wish I knew how to make something go viral.

Inverted totalitarianism problem again, lol. Sounds like the DUmmies really hate this "inverted totalitarianism" thing and would much rather have regular totalitarianism with themselves in charge of course. What say you CC? Would having the DUmmies in charge be more like "the monkey's running the asylum" or "the inmates running the zoo"? (my votes on the former) For myself, I'd just as soon have no tyrany or totalitarianism  at all.

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »
My vote's on "the monkeys running the asylum."
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:27:57 PM »
This only solidifies my thought that the reason why so many people are in ridiculous CC debt and live beyond their means is because they have that DU mentality.  Seriously,  how can spending this kind of money HELP?  We all know it can't.  But they are like the person who thinks they still have money in their account because they still have checks in their checkbook.

Weren't these people for YEARS the ones saying "We can't have a massive debt and make our children pay for it!"

Well, they won't...at this rate it will be our great grandchildren who will be paying for this stupidity. 
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »
Weren't these people for YEARS the ones saying "We can't have a massive debt and make our children pay for it!"

Yeah, every time there's a Republican in the White House.  :whatever:

Between TARP and the "stimulus" package, Obama will have voted to increase the federal debt 20% in less than a year.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:21:35 PM »
Yeah, every time there's a Republican in the White House.  :whatever:

Between TARP and the "stimulus" package, Obama will have voted to increase the federal debt 20% in less than a year.
And to be certain this is but the first installment.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline jukin

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »
All things bad under a republican president are good under a democrat one.

War, deficits, higher debt ceilings, spying on citizens, executive branch power grabs,....
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »
Too small? Oh FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 09:58:30 AM »
And yet, once again, the DUmpmonkiees prove just how teh stoopid they can be.

They must all be wearing ruby slippers? (click your heels folks!)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »
tom_paine  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-07-09 07:05 PM
Response to Reply #68
71. Because America is not a democratic-republic anymore, but an Inverted Totalitarianism.
 Edited on Sat Feb-07-09 09:05 AM by tom_paine
If you think about it, the Repugs ruled during Clinton, and they rule now, as much as is possible without tipping their hands that freedom and democracy are long in the past for the American Subject Populace.

And until the crash hits hard, anyway, this was the nicest Totalitarian Tyranny that ever was.

Yes, the Repugs are still calling the shots. Yes, it's a puzzlment

Well, if you folks can't take the bull by the horns when you have the presidency and both houses of congress the perhaps you're just to ****ing weak to be in charge.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
Quote from:
tom_paine

..... much as it was in the very early 1930s when the Nazis .... way long before Hitler ascended... That was Hitler's Plan...... in their own Nazi-like putsch attempt ..... shameless audacity as Nazi Lies.... Nazi Germany....  to work against Nazis ..... the "kinder and entler nazi Way" ...

With the DUmmies, the history of the world started in 1930's Germany.  Primitive tom_paine is just a good marker as to how far they traveled down that whacko trail.   :mental:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 03:26:37 PM »
Well, if you folks can't take the bull by the horns when you have the presidency and both houses of congress the perhaps you're just to ****ing weak to be in charge.

Cindie

H5!  Freedumb, I nominate Cindie's post for your Bullseye Award of the Day!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 04:55:48 PM »
by the time this thing comes out of conference its going to be $850 billion or more

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 05:07:35 PM »
by the time this thing comes out of conference its going to be $850 billion or more

At least.  I'd say north of a trillion.

Chase her.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 12:21:10 AM »
if you count debt servicing, it is around $1.3 trillion now