Author Topic: NBC rejects anti-abortion Super Bowl ad  (Read 1458 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

NBC rejects anti-abortion Super Bowl ad
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:01:19 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3714767
sabra  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jan-30-09 11:26 AM
Original message
NBC rejects anti-abortion Super Bowl ad 
 Advertisements [?]Source: UPI

WASHINGTON, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- A Chicago-based Catholic organization says NBC-TV won't air an anti-abortion video during Sunday's Super Bowl that portrays President Obama as an unborn child.

The spot has had more than 700,000 hits on YouTube since CatholicVote.org, a subsidiary of Fidelis, ran it on its Web site, The Washington Times reported Friday.

Brian Burch, president of Fidelis, said NBC originally responded to the group's desire to run the spot with a proposal for a package costing $1.5 million to $1.8 million.

Burch says after his members pledged "significant dollars" for the project, NBC changed its mind.

Called "Imagine Spot 1," the ad opens with an ultrasound of a child in utero set to violin music.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/01/30/NBC_rejects_anti... /

You just know this thread will gutterball in no time at all.

CBGLuthier (1000+ posts)      Fri Jan-30-09 11:34 AM
Response to Original message
2. If they did one with Bush as an embryo
 I bet even the catholics could get behind that abortion.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jan-30-09 11:34 AM
3. Since the church is trying to force its dogma into civil law
 it is absolutely begging to be taxed as a political organization.

It's time for them to get a visit from the tax man, the only person in the world who can possibly explain the difference between church and state to them.

Warpy's usual gibberish.  :whatever:

Bette Noir (1000+ posts)     Fri Jan-30-09 11:42 AM
6. I have a few ex-boyfriends who should have been unborn.

Glorfindel  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jan-30-09 11:47 AM
Response to Reply #6
9. So do I...
 the term "waste of protoplasm" comes to mind.

Nice.  :thatsright:

The ad...
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c&feature=PlayList&p=1329FF1A1ECBE48D&index=184[/youtube]
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: NBC rejects anti-abortion Super Bowl ad
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
While I am not a fan of Obama that ad was powerful and well done.  :bow:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:05:01 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3714767
You just know this thread will gutterball in no time at all.

Warpy's usual gibberish.  :whatever:

Nice.  :thatsright:

The ad...
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c&feature=PlayList&p=1329FF1A1ECBE48D&index=184[/youtube]

If the company has the money, yeah, they should have the ad run. I don't see the problem with that ad. You think the DUmmies would even like it because it talks about the beginning of their moonbat messiah.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:12:35 AM »
Bette Noir (1000+ posts)     Fri Jan-30-09 11:42 AM
6. I have a few ex-boyfriends who should have been unborn.

After dating her, they probably agree.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
Auggie  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jan-30-09 11:54 AM
10. 1.5 million dollars -- Imagine all the children that could feed.

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 pasto76 (77 posts)      Fri Jan-30-09 12:01 PM
Response to Reply #10
11. EXACTLY
 why not put as much effort into feeding hungry children. Plenty of homeless kids out there.

DU default mode, telling other people how to spend their money.  :whatever:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »
  Auggie  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jan-30-09 11:54 AM
10. 1.5 million dollars -- Imagine all the children that could feed.

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 pasto76 (77 posts)      Fri Jan-30-09 12:01 PM
Response to Reply #10
11. EXACTLY
 why not put as much effort into feeding hungry children. Plenty of homeless kids out there.

Hmmmm, how much government money has been spent providing abortions?  Betcha that would feed lots of children too.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 11:35:52 AM »

I understand that PETA has an ad. Wonder how much hummus that time would have bought.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Redstatecka

• Thanks, Dad!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »
The time has come to boycott NBC and to start campaigns against all the advertisers who'll have ads during the Superbowl game, but also, in general, on the network.

Words do not matter to NBC and the leftists and liberals.

Money out their pockets, much more than the Catholic group would've given, will.
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here." -- Patrick Henry, 1765

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 12:00:58 PM »
The time has come to boycott NBC and to start campaigns against all the advertisers who'll have ads during the Superbowl game, but also, in general, on the network.

Money out their pockets, much more than the Catholic group would've given, will.

Nah, "small number" boycotts are for DU'ers. Besides I'm not give up NCIS for anything. Why should I miss something I enjoy just because a business has made a choice not to air an ad during the Superbowl? I'm sure they turn down a lot of ads. Heck, it's not even going to stop me from watching the Superbowl.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »

Wonder where their outrage was when Obama spent over 150 million on a damn party?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Redstatecka

• Thanks, Dad!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »
Nah, "small number" boycotts are for DU'ers. Besides I'm not give up NCIS for anything. Why should I miss something I enjoy just because a business has made a choice not to air an ad during the Superbowl? I'm sure they turn down a lot of ads. Heck, it's not even going to stop me from watching the Superbowl.

Cindie

Maybe it's time we decide to think a lot bigger than the DUers and Democrats, liberals and leftists?

We've nothing to lose except, perhaps, some TV-show-watching time. Yes, I, too, like NCIS. But it ain't that important to me. Even the Superbowl isn't.

And you're right: NBC is a business that made a decision. But keystrokes here and P-and-M-ing won't ever have the impact on them as will pressure from their advertisers.
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here." -- Patrick Henry, 1765

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 12:13:23 PM »
Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jan-30-09 11:34 AM

It's time for them to get a visit from the tax man, the only person in the world who can possibly explain the difference between church and state to them.

Oh, for f*ck's sake.

First of all CatholicVote.com is not an organization that is actually affiliated with the Church itself; granted it is a group of Catholics who are attempting to garner support for a cause that the Church supports, but that group itself gets NO MONEY from the Church.

SECOND, I have never been told in church whom I am to vote for. I have been encouraged to make myself aware of the candidate's stand on issues, to make myself familiar with the Catholic Church's stance on said issues, to vote, and to vote with my conscience, but never have I heard from the pulpit that I am to vote a certain way or for a certain person.

THIRD, the abortion issue isn't just a Catholic issue, it's an issue taken up by many other religious organizations as well. I have yet to find a Christian church that says abortion is okay. To blame it all on Catholics is just stupid, not to mention shows how uneducated Warpy is.

Gah. These people f*cking piss me off.

Offline Redstatecka

• Thanks, Dad!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »
SECOND, I have never been told in church whom I am to vote for.

Nor have I as a Protestant Christian, and that's in denominational or non-denominational churches.

THIRD, the abortion issue isn't just a Catholic issue, it's an issue taken up by many other religious organizations as well. I have yet to find a Christian church that says abortion is okay. To blame it all on Catholics is just stupid, not to mention shows how uneducated Warpy is.

Indeed, abortion is a Christian -- Protestant and Catholic -- issue and one also of many non-Christians.

I'm with you: I've NEVER heard of a Christian assembly, denominational or not, Protestant or Catholic, that advocates abortion.

You'd think that the Democrats, liberals and leftists would understand that by now.

Guess not. Would require awareness and curiosity, I guess.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 03:22:55 PM »
Quote from:
Auggie

1.5 million dollars -- Imagine all the children that could feed.

pasto76

EXACTLY

Wow!  Just imagine how many hungry children could have been fed with the money spent to anoint B. Hussein.  Bet these two kooks never posted anything about doing that.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »

Boycotts don't work.  From the left or the Right.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »
Wow!  Just imagine how many hungry children could have been fed with the money spent to anoint B. Hussein.  Bet these two kooks never posted anything about doing that.

Dims don't want to feed hungry children with their own money, that's what Repuke money is for.  Dim money is for killing children.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »

so, when should the TUCC expect a visit from the tax man?  Or Farrakhan?  Or any of a number of predominantly black churches?

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 02:16:17 AM »
Boycotts don't work.  From the left or the Right.

Yes they do.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 08:46:39 AM »

I bet this guy hates abolitionists and the REVEREND Martin Luther King.

Auggie

1.5 million dollars -- Imagine all the children that could feed.

pasto76

EXACTLY
TRANSLATION: Damn! A couple slipped past the Encephlo-Suck 6000!

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."