Author Topic: Super Bowl  (Read 6974 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Super Bowl
« on: January 29, 2009, 07:07:39 PM »
Well?

I'll take the Steelers.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
Ditto.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »
Well?

I'll take the Steelers.

I hear tell the point spread is Steelers +5?  I'll forgo the points.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 07:12:54 PM »
I hear tell the point spread is Steelers +5?  I'll forgo the points.

Vegas has it marked at +7 Steelers. It's moved up a half a point. Some books may be carrying +5 Steelers (In Arizona, surrounding areas, etc.)
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 07:30:28 PM »
Who I think will win and who I'll be rooting for are two different teams.  :-)

I'm pulling for Arizona for the same reason I pulled for the Giants last year.  I've never rooted for the Giants before or since, but strange things can happen at the Superbowl. 

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:47:26 PM »
I'll go for the underdogs. and the Cardinals are definitely them

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:20:48 PM »
Vegas has it marked at +7 Steelers. It's moved up a half a point. Some books may be carrying +5 Steelers (In Arizona, surrounding areas, etc.)
I WIN I WIN I WIN!!  I posted after the playoffs that it would be Steelers +7!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »
Who I think will win and who I'll be rooting for are two different teams.  :-)

I'm pulling for Arizona for the same reason I pulled for the Giants last year.  I've never rooted for the Giants before or since, but strange things can happen at the Superbowl. 

Uh,   EXCUSE ME?????!!!!!!

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 08:25:49 PM »
Kurt Warner.     

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 12:52:22 AM »
Steelers, unless they start to blow it, then I will root for AZ.  :-)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »
I think it'll be the Steelers (even though I said the Jooooooooos!).  I've been a Steelers' fan since the mid 70s.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 08:45:05 AM »
Given my dad lives in Scottsdale, when a gun is held to my head and a decision forced from me, I'll reluctantly pick the Cards.

However, I'm realistic enough to know the Steelers will probably win, and more than cover the spread.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:02:30 AM »
cardinals...

I'll take kurt warner, edgerrin james/hightower & the receiving core of the cards, as well as their totally balanced team over the steelers 'all defense' squad...

this steelers team has more holes in it than swiss cheez (aside from their D) & is only in this SB for the same reason the cards are ...  (ie: cupcake schedule & a down year in the NFL)

willie parker/mobelly moore & the steelers Oline  vs. edgerrin james/hightower  & the Cards oline  ....yeah right ...

both QB's have been prone to totally looking horrific at times, but kurt warner has NEVER choked in the SB like Big Ben has ...

the steelers terrible punter & ST's will give the cards  great field position through the entire game & since the steelrs offense will only be good for a couple big plays, but no consistent ball control, the Cards great offense  will have way too many cracks at points ...

warner throws 3 TD passes, cards ground game puts up 100 & the cards  defense even has a great showing & forces a few turnovers & rapes big ben most of the game..

unless of course, the ZEBRAS call a holding penalty on  the cards everytime they get into the redzone (like they did to seattle in the last steelers SB)

even  if w/ the aid of phantom calls, I still don't think it will be enough to stop the cards offense  from scoring 24 + points...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 10:15:43 AM »
I voted for a Steelers win but will be cheering my head off for Arizona. Mostly because I hate the Burg but partly because, well c'mon, it's freakin' Arizona!?!!

Top three ressons why the Cards have a chance:

- Larry Fitzgerald/Anquan Boldin duo
- Kurt Warner
- A. Wilson/D. Rodgers-Cromartie duo

I toyed with the idea of going Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald and Fitzgerald but the Cards will need eveyone's best game on Sunday. They are against the best defense, and likely the crowd (and refs, lol) will be against them too. Win the turnover battle, win TOP and get that D tired and just maybe they win the game. Go Cards!!
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 10:28:58 AM »
I'll go for the underdogs. and the Cardinals are definitely them

I'll pick the definite underdog. GO JOOOOOOSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-)

Seriously.. Steelers by 10.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 10:54:13 AM »
I voted for a Steelers win but will be cheering my head off for Arizona. Mostly because I hate the Burg but partly because, well c'mon, it's freakin' Arizona!?!!

Top three ressons why the Cards have a chance:

- Larry Fitzgerald/Anquan Boldin duo
- Kurt Warner
- A. Wilson/D. Rodgers-Cromartie duo

I toyed with the idea of going Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald and Fitzgerald but the Cards will need eveyone's best game on Sunday. They are against the best defense, and likely the crowd (and refs, lol) will be against them too. Win the turnover battle, win TOP and get that D tired and just maybe they win the game. Go Cards!!

yeah steel,

adrian wilson has twice as many sacks as does polamalu these past few seasons & wilson did so  in alot fewer games  ...

he's the most underrated defensive player in the NFL & I think he may show the world the Adrian Wilson show & bigtime...

I'm already thinking he may be the MVP of this game,  even though they just love to give that to QB's &/or already have fiztgeralds name engraved in a trophy & ready to go...

cromartie will blanket S Holmes & Hines Ward is gonna be  a non factor this game cause of his injury...

what will the steelers do now that their best QB of  the last SB  is gone (Randel El)??

its gonna be a good one or a blowout, & I think if the cards win, it will be a blowout...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:20 AM »
yeah steel,

adrian wilson has twice as many sacks as does polamalu these past few seasons & wilson did so  in alot fewer games  ...

he's the most underrated defensive player in the NFL & I think he may show the world the Adrian Wilson show & bigtime...

I'm already thinking he may be the MVP of this game,  even though they just love to give that to QB's &/or already have fiztgeralds name engraved in a trophy & ready to go...

cromartie will blanket S Holmes & Hines Ward is gonna be  a non factor this game cause of his injury...

what will the steelers do now that their best QB of  the last SB  is gone (Randel El)??

its gonna be a good one or a blowout, & I think if the cards win, it will be a blowout...

I worry about weather the Cards can run on the Steelers. (at all)

I agree Big Ben was the 3rd best QB to throw the ball in XL lol. Randel El was a Big loss as Big Ben will Big suck.

I'd love a blowout but will laugh my ass off reguardless if Pitt falls to the "lowly" Cardinals by any score.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
I worry about weather the Cards can run on the Steelers. (at all)

I agree Big Ben was the 3rd best QB to throw the ball in XL lol. Randel El was a Big loss as Big Ben will Big suck.

I'd love a blowout but will laugh my ass off reguardless if Pitt falls to the "lowly" Cardinals by any score.

did you happen to notice that pittsburgh became the SB around week 2 this year ??

after everyone realized Brady was DONE & P manning was washed up, they instantly claimed the steelers the team to beat ....

so I reckon, any team getting  into the bigshow by default, is bound to fall...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 12:44:46 PM »
did you happen to notice that pittsburgh became the SB around week 2 this year ??

after everyone realized Brady was DONE & P manning was washed up, they instantly claimed the steelers the team to beat ....

so I reckon, any team getting  into the bigshow by default, is bound to fall...

heh! I sure hope they do. (did I mention I hate the farking Steelers, lol)

I still worry about the Cards run game though. I bet E. James gets more yards catching than running if he can fee himself up for a few dump offs. (that's IF he is a factor at all)

I do trust Warner to convert on third down at least half the time, that will be big if it happens.

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »
heh! I sure hope they do. (did I mention I hate the farking Steelers, lol)

I still worry about the Cards run game though. I bet E. James gets more yards catching than running if he can fee himself up for a few dump offs. (that's IF he is a factor at all)

I do trust Warner to convert on third down at least half the time, that will be big if it happens.

why I think the cards running game will be more successful than the steelers:

#1: cards will be playing w/ the lead

#2: cards will have element of surprise

#3: cards RB's & Oline are better than the steelers & the cards RB's are built to makes holes & get extra yards...

edgerrin james  is as good as anyone who's played that position at getting 2 yards & thats what  he's gonna be facing alot of against the steelers  great run stoppers...

neither parker or moore is good at getting tough  yards...

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 07:05:17 PM »
cardinals...

I'll take kurt warner, edgerrin james/hightower & the receiving core of the cards, as well as their totally balanced team over the steelers 'all defense' squad...

this steelers team has more holes in it than swiss cheez (aside from their D) & is only in this SB for the same reason the cards are ...  (ie: cupcake schedule & a down year in the NFL)

willie parker/mobelly moore & the steelers Oline  vs. edgerrin james/hightower  & the Cards oline  ....yeah right ...

both QB's have been prone to totally looking horrific at times, but kurt warner has NEVER choked in the SB like Big Ben has ...

the steelers terrible punter & ST's will give the cards  great field position through the entire game & since the steelrs offense will only be good for a couple big plays, but no consistent ball control, the Cards great offense  will have way too many cracks at points ...

warner throws 3 TD passes, cards ground game puts up 100 & the cards  defense even has a great showing & forces a few turnovers & rapes big ben most of the game..

unless of course, the ZEBRAS call a holding penalty on  the cards everytime they get into the redzone (like they did to seattle in the last steelers SB)

even  if w/ the aid of phantom calls, I still don't think it will be enough to stop the cards offense  from scoring 24 + points...

Its good to see your head is still squarely up your ass  :loser:
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 07:20:12 PM »

indeed. 

but the key to the cards will be larry fitzgerald.  if he can get open, or even partially open, that guy can change a game.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »

and that's because that is where all the action is with JCC. :rotf:

I just kill myself sometimes.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »
and that's because that is where all the action is with JCC. :rotf:

I just kill myself sometimes.

Just keep in mind if the Cards do lose, he'll never admit they didn't play good enough to win, it'll always be someone elses fault but there's.  Sounds like the kind of excuses we document on a certain board we watch and laugh at.

I think the Steelers will win it, but it wouldn't surprise me either way.  Whoever wins, I won't be on here crying foul because the other one didn't.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 10:53:02 PM »
Just keep in mind if the Cards do lose, he'll never admit they didn't play good enough to win, it'll always be someone elses fault but there's.  Sounds like the kind of excuses we document on a certain board we watch and laugh at.

I think the Steelers will win it, but it wouldn't surprise me either way.  Whoever wins, I won't be on here crying foul because the other one didn't.

steelers, plus 10.

I have $100 that says that i am right