Author Topic: primitives inflate egg omelets  (Read 2243 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives inflate egg omelets
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x52958

Oh my.

What a way to ruin good eggs.

wlucinda  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-11-09 01:01 PM
Original message

Favorite omlette fillings?

I thought it might be fun to collect our favorites in one thread....

My current favorite is an ASIAGO DILL Omlette. I add fresh or dried dillweed to the egg base, a tiny bit of cream when I have some on hand, and then use shredded asiago cheese in the filling. The combination of the dill and the sharp flavor of the cheese is wonderful.

It can, of course, be augmented with finely sliced ham, or sauteed veggies.

Mushrooms work very well.

What are you favs?

Why not just serve all this other stuff as side-dishes, rather than ruining eggs?

As for mushrooms, I wouldn't touch a mushroom with a ten-foot primitive.

wildflower  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-11-09 01:04 PM
Response to Original message

1. I love parmesan and parsley

Smoked salmon is good, too.

(This is one of the only ways I like dried parsley, is in eggs. Otherwise, dried and fresh are like two different herbs, and when I don't have fresh parsley for a recipe, it's like I have no parsley.)

wlucinda  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-11-09 01:14 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. I'll have to give that a try! I've really been experiementing with parmesan lately but hadn't tried it with eggs, and I never think to add dried parsley to anything. I always have it around, but never use it!

Dried parsley's great with french fries, in case nobody's tried it.

AZDemDist6  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-11-09 01:14 PM

3. my basic go to is cheddar in the omelet with salsa and sourcream on top as garnish but i'm VERY flexible

Sour cream's great with pizza, in case nobody's tried it.

wlucinda  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-11-09 01:17 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. Yum! I use hot sauce on sharp cheddar omlettes if I am out of salsa.

Can't wait until this years cilantro crop is up and ready. Salsa is a food group in my book!

Because I do accounting work for a food bank, and because donors donated too much canned vegetables that the poor don't want (and for good reason), just before the lastest Deep Freeze descended (about a day and a half ago), the deliveryman delivered several cases of canned vegetables to this place.

Usually this stuff goes out to the landfill, but I like it because it's great fertilizer, and so the food bank people accommodate me.

Canned green beans, canned corn, canned peas, canned beets, canned spinach, canned asparagus, canned sauerkraut, canned white beans, canned string beans, canned salmon, canned spaghetti, canned carrots, canned potatoes, canned tomatoes, canned turnips, canned lima beans, canned glorp, &c., &c., &c.

Nothing ruins food more than being canned.  It's worthless.

It's a pain to open up hundreds of cans of canned stuff every spring, to dump on the ground reserved for the garden here, but it's great fertilizer.  I see there's a case and a half (circa 36 cans) of salsa; I'll bet that makes good fertilizer.

Ugh.

Ick.

Bleah.

Canned shit.

cali  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-11-09 01:28 PM

5. asparagus and gruyere

steamed asparagus cut into 1 inch lengths and grated gruyere. simple and delicious dinner dish.

Hmmm.  One wonders if the 0bamaite cali primitive's aware of the Judaic background of this stuff.  She might decide she Hates it then.

ginnyinWI  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-11-09 03:12 PM

6. mushroooms, onions and shredded cheddar.

Saute veggies in another small skillet first. Place on omelet and sprinkle with some shredded cheese. Fold and put a little salsa on as garnish.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-11-09 03:39 PM

7. We have our standard that we make.

Saute onions and baby bellas, and sometimes spinach, in butter with a little granulated garlic. Pour the egg over the vegetables. When the eggs are about set add feta and sharp cheddar. When melted a little, fold and allow to melt a few more minutes. Is great with either apricot or strawberry jam on toast.

sandnsea  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-11-09 05:12 PM

8. ham, tomato, mushroom, onion, and just about any kind of cheese.

As soon as I try some spinach variations that grasswire (?) suggested, I might have to change this.

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-11-09 05:18 PM

9. anaheim chilis and jack cheese

mmmmmmmmm.......

But I also love just salsa and cheddar. Or spinach and feta and walnuts. Anything! My idea of a perfect dinner is an omelette and a salad.

And did you know that a cream cheese and strawberry jam omelette is truly delicious?

spinbaby  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-11-09 07:02 PM

10. Apples

Seriously. Fry apple slices in butter, then add a wee bit of brown sugar and brandy. Great omelette filling.

The spinning primitive's a malicious mole, I bet.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-12-09 12:41 AM

11. Cheese with dill and summer savory was my basic go-to filling but I also loved mushrooms with nutmeg.

catnhatnh  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jan-12-09 01:32 AM

12. I like strong flavors....

...make mine extra-sharp cheddar with smoked ham, genoa salami, and a sprinkling of crumbled blue cheese....

livetohike  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jan-12-09 11:23 AM

13. Brie and diced tomatoes is my current favorite. I like sauteed mushrooms and onions with extra sharp cheddar, or slices of canned chile peppers with cheddar and a little picante sauce, too.

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-12-09 12:22 PM

14. Caviar, sour cream, "good" tomatoes and green onions

Obviously not an every day plate of eggs but as an occasional indulgence it can't be beat.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: primitives inflate egg omelets
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »
Ummm, Frank, you got some wierd eating habits. I take it you only like fresh?
Most of the omlettes sound great to me.
Anytime you want to send any of that canned "shit" to me, feel free.  :innocent:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »
Ummm, Frank, you got some weird eating habits.

Not really weird.  Most people in real life call it "austere" or "spartan" or "simple."

I take it you only like fresh?

Of course, and if it's out of season, bad luck for me.

Most of the omlettes sound great to me.

I know; to each his own.

Me, I like eggs plain, and the more yolk and less white, the better.

Anytime you want to send any of that canned "shit" to me, feel free.

This has been an issue (locally) before, reminding me of an old joke about a primitive, chomping on Fritos and a grease-sogged Wendy's hamburger, approaching an old lady sitting on a park bench.  The old lady is tossing bread-crumbs to the birds.

"Hey, old lady," the primitive says, his mouth full, "you shouldn't be wasting that on birds; there's people in Asia and Africa starving."

"Well, I can't throw that far," says the old lady.

This is a problem, maldistribution of goods, as well as the "market" (food banks) being glutted with too many of one sort of goods (canned junk) and too little of another sort of goods (fresh or frozen foods).  I'm sure much of this stuff could be useful in corrupt Democrat-machine blue cities and blue states, but the diesel fuel used to transport them there would be more than what the goods are ultimately worth.

You'd be surprised what food banks have to consign to the landfills.

In my case, being deaf with lots and lots and lots of time on my hands, I find it useful to use the stuff for fertilizer, rather than dumping it in a landfill.  Two times a year--early spring, early autumn, I spend a whole afternoon sitting on the front porch opening hundreds, the low thousands, of cans--I get blisters--and dumping it in the garden space, or in the meadow, to naturally decay and naturally fertilize.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:41:38 PM »
Canned salmon makes great salmon cakes.

I thought some of the omelets sounded delicious....though I have to admit, a Dummie using caviar in an omelet seems a bit ...um....."elite".... :lmao: (though it sounds delicious!)

The cinnamon apple mixture would be better on waffles.... :drool:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »
I'm not a fancy omelet guy. Bacon, cheese, ham, or any combination thereof and that's about it. I detest veggies in the A.M.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:49:34 PM »
I like just vegetables (including avocado) and cheese.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:51:38 PM »
I picked up some country ham today.  I'm not a huge fan of city hams or Canadian bacon.  City hams are only good if you layer a bunch of stuff on the outside.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »
I'm not fond of Canadian Bacon. Country ham is ok, but one has to soak it to get most of the salt out. I can prepare a city ham just fine and it's a LOT easier.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 07:18:41 PM »
I like Canadian bacon....particularly in Eggs Benedict. I like city ham.....I can't stand country ham.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »
I bought some country ham for my split pea soup.  Smithfield sells ham slices, so I didn't have to buy an entire leg.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Flame

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »

never tried avacodo in an omlette...sounds interesting!  I love asparagus or spinach!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
never tried avacodo in an omlette...sounds interesting!  I love asparagus or spinach!

don't cook it, just lay it in there before you flop it over on itself.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »

mmm, avocado goes with nearly everything.  My favorite sandwich is turkey, pepper jack, avocado, bacon and mayo on a roll.   :drool:
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Flame

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:15:29 PM »

mmm, avocado goes with nearly everything.  My favorite sandwich is turkey, pepper jack, avocado, bacon and mayo on a roll.   :drool:

man, that sounds divine!

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
I like Canadian bacon....particularly in Eggs Benedict. I like city ham.....I can't stand country ham.

Damn Yankee communist    :hammer:

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »
Made an omlette this morning with pico de gallo (sp?), YUM!  :drool:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 07:04:22 PM »
Made an omlette this morning with pico de gallo (sp?), YUM!  :drool:

I like those....with some pepper jack cheese.....and a bloody Mary.... :drool:

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 02:10:19 PM »
geesh, and I thought I got fancy when I wisked in tarragon to my eggs.  I like bacon of any kind and ham too ... in my omlettes, to the side, doesn't matter.
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!