Author Topic: Alabama NAACP criticizes use of Trail Maids in Inaugural Parade  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Alabama NAACP criticizes use of Trail Maids in Inaugural Parade
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
Alabama NAACP criticizes use of Trail Maids in Inaugural Parade

Montgomery, Ala. (WSFA) --  They're part of a long standing tradition that will soon become a part of Presidential history.
The head of the Alabama NAACP, however, wants Mobile's Azalea Trail Maids to stay home on Inauguration Day, claiming the group reminds him of slavery.

"These are not just regular costumes.  These are the costumes that remind someone of the plantation in Gone with the Wind," Edward Vaughn said in a phone interview.

Vaughn went on to say the group would be the laughing stock of the Inauguration.  County leaders say nothing could be further from the truth.

"We want everyone to know that these young ladies do not need to be identified with slavery," said Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine.

"I don't see what the dresses have to do with racism. I don't see it. It's just a regular dress to me.  Just a dress they wore back in the day," said Carolyn Tius of Montgomery.

Organizers stand behind the tradition, but opponents say tradition is the problem.

"We needed something that could show Alabama's great progress rather than something that shows a shameful past," Vaughn said.

LINK

Anything having to do with history, especially the history of the southern US, is by defintion racist.  [/NAACP mode]
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Alabama NAACP criticizes use of Trail Maids in Inaugural Parade
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »
Reminds him of slavery? How old is this dumbass?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 02:00:15 PM »
I guess they were REALLY pissed about the Tuskaloosa Field Hand Marching Band then...   :uhsure:

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »
Oh FFS. I guess they missed the part where the man getting sworn in is BLACK.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:52:54 PM »
The Mobile Azalea Trail had its beginnings in 1929, when the Mobile Junior Chamber of Commerce undertook a project to encourage citizens of our community to plant azaleas along the Port City’s thoroughfares. The blossom-lined streets became known as the Mobile Azalea Trail. Each Spring,

from 1924 through 1948, local, state, national, and international dignitaries were invited to cut the ribbon to officially open the trail. Local debutantes originally served as hostesses for this event.

By 1949, the four local high schools were asked to appoint two senior girls to serve on what was to become the first Azalea Trail Court. Mary Edmunds of Murphy High School was selected to serve as Queen. In 1951 the idea of the Azalea Trail Festival was born and for the next seven years the reigning Miss America served as Queen of the Azalea Trail. Included among these Miss America’s were Mobile’s own Yolanda Betbeze in 1951, and Lee Meriwether, who later went on to success in the entertainment industry, in 1955. During this time, neighboring Jaycee chapters were invited to send representatives to serve on the Azalea Trail Court. The idea became so popular that soon each Jaycee chapter in Alabama, and some outside of the state, had a representative. As some of the towns these girls represented were 300 miles away, gathering the full court was a very difficult task.

There be racists here.  yarrr.  :whatever:

This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 07:10:46 PM »

http://www.pic2009.org/blog/entry/marching_on_the_azalea_trail_maids/

What do you know? By the link above, they consider it an honor to walk in the inaugural parade and have been working hard to get there. And I'd like to add a word for the people at the NAACP. You know what reminds me of our sometimes racist past even more than pretty girls in a pretty dress? The term "Colored People".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:13:34 PM by ReardenSteel »
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:33:51 PM »
And I'd like to add a word for the people at the NAACP. You know what reminds me of our sometimes racist past even more than pretty girls in a pretty dress? The term "Colored People".

perfect irony, H5!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »

http://www.pic2009.org/blog/entry/marching_on_the_azalea_trail_maids/

What do you know? By the link above, they consider it an honor to walk in the inaugural parade and have been working hard to get there. And I'd like to add a word for the people at the NAACP. You know what reminds me of our sometimes racist past even more than pretty girls in a pretty dress? The term "Colored People".
Look at that picture very carefully.  There's a black girl on the second row, right side.  OMG!!!!1111!!111!!!!!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
Someone call the Whambulance!
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:43:45 AM »
Look at that picture very carefully.  There's a black girl on the second row, right side.  OMG!!!!1111!!111!!!!!

...and in one of the peach dresses in the back left.  :overreaction:

Jesse Jackson: "Sellout aunt Jemima m'f'n hos".  :whatever:

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 08:45:46 AM »
Due to the "diversity" in the city schools in Mobile....and 2 girls from each school are in the Azalea Court...there is no way, all those girls are white.

This may not be the place to comment.....but how is it....that everyone has seemed to have "forgotten" that Obama is half WHITE?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 08:49:28 AM »
Due to the "diversity" in the city schools in Mobile....and 2 girls from each school are in the Azalea Court...there is no way, all those girls are white.

This may not be the place to comment.....but how is it....that everyone has seemed to have "forgotten" that Obama is half WHITE?

Because he wouldn't be elite if he were half white. It's much more politically volatile (and thereby noticeable) to be black.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »
Because he wouldn't be elite if he were half white. It's much more politically volatile (and thereby noticeable) to be black.
...which is why he refuses to release his birth certificate...which likely says he's Caucasian.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »
...which is why he refuses to release his birth certificate...which likely says he's Caucasian.

Actually, his Hawaiian birth certificate has been released by the Hawaiian authorities and was posted on the web in about June of last year.

I say "Hawaiian birth certificate" to distinguish from the Kenyan birth certificate which, as we all know, has not been located yet.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 12:33:10 PM »
Actually, his Hawaiian birth certificate has been released by the Hawaiian authorities and was posted on the web in about June of last year.

I say "Hawaiian birth certificate" to distinguish from the Kenyan birth certificate which, as we all know, has not been located yet.

I thought that was just an electronic version, not a picture of the actual physical document.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 12:36:14 PM »

Obama is the first to openly admit he is Black, but he is not America's first Black President. He is the seventh. The previous ones are:
Thomas Jefferson
Andrew Jackson
Abraham Lincoln
Warren G. Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Dwight G. Eisenhower
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »
I thought that was just an electronic version, not a picture of the actual physical document.
It's a scan of the original document, and only one side of it.  The seal and signature are no the hidden side.  It also lists no info on the baby...race, length, weight, etc.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 03:36:38 PM »

It's a picture of the actual physical document. I think The Exalted One posted it on his website for all to revel in His Greatness.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 03:50:48 PM »
You mean the one that has "African" as his father's race? I was unaware that "African" was a race and his father doesn't look anything like Gary Player, also from Africa.

I don't buy it. Birth certificates can be forged just as easily as SSN's, not to mention the fact that he took Indonesian citizenship when he was younger.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:52:34 PM by Rebel »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 04:07:35 PM »
This is probably worthy of a separate thread altogether, but this is where I saw "photos" of The Exalted One's birth certificate:

Factcheck.org

The link shows 9 different photos, taken of different sides, different angles, of this "document."

Philip Berg's lawsuit which has gone through several presentations before SCOTUS, was "conferenced" this past Friday and apparently is going to be conferenced again tomorrow. I'm not sure what "conferenced" means.

http://www.obamacrimes.com/

But Congress, not surprisingly, isn't waiting on SCOTUS. They gleefully "certified" His Holiness as next prez on 1/9/09.

I guess they just couldn't wait for SCOTUS to get off its fat ass and make a ****ing decision.  :whatever: 

For the record, I despise Obama and truly think that where there's smoke, there's fire. I think Berg's lawsuit has substance. Even Justice Kennedy thought so last month, but they apparently are taking their sweet time about this.

Maybe DAT can enlighten us as to what "conferenced" means vis a vis the "actions" SCOTUS took last Friday and is supposed to take tomorrow.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:10:12 PM by Eupher »

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 04:39:06 PM »
It's been brought to the surface that Factcheck.org is in the tank for liberals.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
I ain't here to sing praises about factcheck.org. It is what it is.

We'll see what happens when SCOTUS gets off its ass.

For one, I believe very, very little of what I "see" on the web. But the "document" is there from several angles, not just a scan.

Personally, I think Obama was born in Kenya, like the locals themselves have said. Obama's grandmother, the one who recently died, also is reported to have said that as well.

Like I said, where there's smoke, there's fire.