Author Topic: Ban Cell Phones While Driving, Safety Council Says  (Read 735 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Ban Cell Phones While Driving, Safety Council Says
« on: January 12, 2009, 06:16:46 AM »
Ban Cell Phones While Driving, Safety Council Says

WASHINGTON  —  A national safety group is advocating a total ban on cell phone use while driving, saying the practice is clearly dangerous and leads to fatalities.

States should ban drivers from using hand-held and hands-free cell phones, and businesses should prohibit employees from using cell phones while driving on the job, the congressionally chartered National Safety Council says, taking those positions for the first time.

The group's president and chief executive, Janet Froetscher, likened talking on cell phones to drunken driving, saying cell phone use increases the risk of a crash fourfold.

*snip*

"Public awareness and the laws haven't caught up with what the scientists are telling us," Froetscher said. "There is no dispute that driving while talking on your cell phone, or texting while driving, is dangerous."

Froetscher said the council examined more than 50 scientific studies before reaching its decision. One was a study by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis that estimates 6 percent of vehicle crashes, causing about 2,600 deaths and 12,000 serious injuries a year, are attributable to cell phone use. Hands-free cell phones are just as risky as hand held phones, she added.

"It's not just what you're doing with your hands — it's that your head is in the conversation and so your eyes are not on the road," Froetscher said.

MORE

Given the last statement in the quote, they need to ban all talking while driving.  It's not the phone...it's the conversation.  I bet these people think it's dangerous (and should be outlawed) to walk & chew bubble gum at the same time.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Ban Cell Phones While Driving, Safety Council Says
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 06:21:46 AM »
MORE

Given the last statement in the quote, they need to ban all talking while driving.  It's not the phone...it's the conversation.  I bet these people think it's dangerous (and should be outlawed) to walk & chew bubble gum at the same time.   :whatever:

You are wrong -- talking on the phone is different than talking to someone in the car.  But yes, the problem persists using hands free, which only lessens the problem of dialing while driving and having only one hand on the wheel.

But this should NOT be a national issue.  It should be decided by each state.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 06:28:32 AM »
You are wrong -- talking on the phone is different than talking to someone in the car.  But yes, the problem persists using hands free, which only lessens the problem of dialing while driving and having only one hand on the wheel.

But this should NOT be a national issue.  It should be decided by each state.

Ok, explain how talking on a hands-free device is any different for the driver than talking to someone in the car with you.

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:03:19 AM »
Having children in the backseat of a car is just, if not more, distracting that talking hands-free on a cell phone.  Especially if it is a crying infant, or fighting toddlers, or bickering teenagers.   Guess we need to ban them next?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:34:49 AM »
I don't wholly disagree with banning cell phones while driving, but I think using one while on the highway is less dangerous than using one in congested traffic.  It should not be a national law , but left up to the states.  I'd prefer that they just add in a fine IF using the phone is the cause of an accident.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:38:31 AM »
I'm going to chime in on this because as an avid motorcyclist, I was almost killed by a young teenager yapping on her cell phone when she pulled out in front of me at an intersection.

Agreed with freedumb2003: this is a states' issue. The Feds need to butt the hell out until they figure out where this issue is required to be handled by them. Constitution doesn't say anything at all about this.

That said:

There are some pretty heated arguments on both sides of the issue. One side says, "So are we supposed to ban ALL conversation in the vehicle - where does it end?" and the other says, "Yapping on cell phones is an unacceptable risk to life and limb and needs to be banned in all forms."

Fact is, we're talking about risk. The mere fact of driving a motor vehicle itself is risky; traffic statistics clearly show that we're much more likely to be injured or killed in a traffic accident than we are in a plane crash.

Now that we're talking from an even playing field vis a vis risk, we need to gauge precisely how much risk is acceptable.

I can't quote chapter and verse, but I can tell you that there are tangible differences between talking to somebody in a car (note I said "talking", not trying to bitch slap unruly kids or arguing with a passenger) and talking to somebody on a device. For some strange, unknown reason, we tend to react first and strongest to a person who is tethered to us electronically rather than somebody who's next to us.

How many times have you been sitting across the desk from somebody having a conversation about a work issue and have the phone ring? How tempted are you to completely forego the conversation you're having with a live person in front of you in favor of answering the phone?

I submit the temptation is very, very strong to answer the phone. The obvious question is why?

Fear of the unknown? That phone call might be representative of information that I need/want to have and the immediacey can't be determined by looking at Caller ID, so I'd better answer it! That's one idea.

Another is, much moreso than the kid that's bouncing around like a yo-yo in the back of the car, the kid is contained and cannot injure himself more than I can when I finally have a chance to stop this car and give him what-for. So maybe that idea allows us to respond slightly less to a crisis in the back seat when we're whizzing along at 70 mph.

We can talk about eating while driving, drinking coffee and spilling it while driving, searching for a dropped cigarette while driving, all kinds of inherently dangerous things.

How much risk do those things pose for us, from a purely global perspective? In other words, how often do those things happen to us and how much legislation should we consider enacting to deal with them?

The preponderance of cell phone usage in this country is unbelievable. Seems you're not somebody unless you've got a cell phone. And since just about everybody in this country drives a motor vehicle of some sort, it's natural that using a communication tool inside the moving vehicle is an understandable byproduct.

I consider the government in all its forms to be a necessary evil and I loathe expanding it for most reasons. But in the interest of public safety, these issues have to be measured and analyzed, bereft of emotional involvement (and if people aren't emotionally involved with their friggin' cell phones, my name is Barack Obama and I'm here to help you).

Appropriate legal decisions have to be made. And enforced.

For one, count me in the camp of banning cell phone usage. And if you cause a traffic accident because you were searching for a dropped cigarette, slurping your coffee and dropping it, eating a Whopper, or trying to bitch slap one of your kids, you have entered into the realm of liability that way too. Indeed, just by turning on the ignition of your car, you assume liability for all the damage you might cause as a result.

As distasteful as this sounds, we therefore need to enact laws to protect us from each other.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:39 AM »
Can't we just ban all women from talking on a damn cell phone while driving?   :stirpot:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »
Can't we just ban all women from talking on a damn cell phone while driving?   :stirpot:

Makes too much sense, so it must be

:cheersmate:

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:14:49 AM »
ok, my take on this: it's just more nanny statism.  I would say that it is wrong to be driving while impaired, be it alcohol, cell phone/distraction, or fatigue.  But to LEGISLATE that is another step towards cradle to grave paternalism.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:45 AM »
Can't say I entirely disagree with banning cell phone use while driving. Hell, just yesterday TWICE I almost T crunched a couple of dolts on their cell phones pulling out from parking lots onto busy streets. "Honey, I just picked up the mustard, bananas, the KY Jelly and hemorrhoid cream from the store, so I'll be home in a few min.... " CRASH! IF by chance I have to use my cell while driving... I put it on speaker. Doesn't screw up your peripheral vision that way.

I'd be more against the possible law if they revoke the law that if you get in an accident, if ya beat the s*#t outta the dumbass that hit ya the accident it's automatically your fault... I might change my mind.  :asssmack:

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin