Author Topic: primitives find non-coffee uses for coffee filters  (Read 1146 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives find non-coffee uses for coffee filters
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:03:09 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=353x2394

I dunno.

When I've felt a sneeze coming on in the kitchen, and I'm miles away from the nose tissues, the bathroom tissue, paper napkins, and paper towels, I grab a coffee filter.

Works just like a Kleenex or Puffs.

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-08-09 04:46 PM
Original message

Uses for coffee filters - just got this from a friend

We usually use the unbleached ones in the coffee maker. But the bleached ones are inexpensive at the dollar stores.

COFFEE FILTERS: Not just for making coffee....

1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers.

2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.

3. Protect China. Separate your good dishes by putting a coffee filter between each dish.

4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.

5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.

6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.

7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.

8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.

9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.

10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.

11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter.

12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters.

13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. Soaks out all the grease.

14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great "razor nick fixers."

AZDemDist6  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jan-08-09 05:03 PM
Response to Original message

1. great list!!

No other primitives at this bonfire yet.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: primitives find non-coffee uses for coffee filters
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:49:24 PM »
Cool!

Not being a coffee drinker, and coffee only getting made here on occasion when company is here...I never pay attention to the things.

Never thought of using them for anything else.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »
I've used them for some of the reasons listed. They're fairly practical and a multi-tasking  piece of paper. They also work as an improvised air filter for some vacuum cleaners and other  objects that need air filtered.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
Cool!

Not being a coffee drinker, and coffee only getting made here on occasion when company is here...I never pay attention to the things.

Popcorn holders.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »
Cool!

That company would be me  :rotf:  I saw the one about leaving it the bathroom for nicks, but if I did that, I'd probably use it for emergency toilet paper instead.
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
That company would be me  :rotf:  I saw the one about leaving it the bathroom for nicks, but if I did that, I'd probably use it for emergency toilet paper instead.

Yep...I don't think the coffee maker has been out of the closet since you were here last summer....and probably won't be out until you come back.... :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »
Yes indeedy ... I'm having withdrawals.
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 02:20:26 PM »
I dont have any. I just use the coffee filter (basket) that comes in the maker. For me, they're fine enough.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.