Author Topic: Chicago schools' espresso machines a waste of money, inspector reports  (Read 832 times)

Offline bijou

One Chicago Public Schools manager must have really been jonesing for a cup of coffee when officials say she spent nearly $70,000 of the district's money to buy 30 cappuccino/espresso machines for a high school program.

But five months after the machines were purchased, 22 remained unopened, one disappeared and three were being used at two schools—though not in the culinary arts program for which they were intended, the district's inspector general said Tuesday.

Officials in a department dealing with work-school programs allegedly separated the purchases to make them appear they came from 21 different schools and were under $10,000.

By doing so, the purchases did not have to be competitively bid or win school board approval, said Jim Sullivan, the district's inspector general. ...
link

Offline thundley4

Re: Chicago schools' espresso machines a waste of money, inspector reports
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »
If the machines were for the "work-school" programs, then I'd have no problem with it.  It's just helping to prepare those Chicago Public School students with their future job skills. OTOH, I think hamburger grills and spatulas would better do so.  :fuelfire:

Offline bijou

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
If the machines were for the "work-school" programs, then I'd have no problem with it.  It's just helping to prepare those Chicago Public School students with their future job skills. OTOH, I think hamburger grills and spatulas would better do so.  :fuelfire:
It would have made sense if it was for job skills training, but since, at best, only 4 of them were being used for their intended purpose it just shows that when spending other people's money there is no such thing as self discipline.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »
Now how would that teach them how to hand out carts at Walmart?   :fuelfire:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.