Author Topic: This is a DISASTER!!!!  (Read 1995 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
This is a DISASTER!!!!
« on: January 06, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »
Just when you thought they couldn't get any crazier ....

Dover  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-05-09 09:39 PM
Original message
This is a DISASTER!!!! And we've deliberately been kept in the dark.

...for our ocean life, food supply, human health, etc. Etc. ETC!!!!! And this is probably not the ONLY incident of dumping toxic waste in our oceans. How much of the destruction to our oceans
being reported as due to global warming is in fact the result of this toxic dumping???
And illegal dumping will get worse because NO ONE wants the waste and it's expensive to dispose of!
So much for the 'clean' nuclear solution.

This was originally posted by DUer 'NOWtense' in Editorials, but deserves MUCH more exposure.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=103&topic_id=413790&mesg_id=413790

This incident off the coast of Somalia is a crime of the most heinous nature and must be stopped, prosecuted AND cleaned up IMMEDIATELY!!! It is the equivalent of dropping a nuclear bomb on this region. This has been going on for at least two DECADES!

You are being lied to about 'Pirates'

Who imagined that in 2009, the world's governments would be declaring a new War on Pirates? As you read this, the British Royal Navy - backed by the ships of more than two dozen nations, from the US to China - is sailing into Somalian waters to take on men we still picture as parrot-on-the-shoulder pantomime villains. They will soon be fighting Somalian ships and even chasing the pirates onto land, into one of the most broken countries on earth. But behind the arrr-me-hearties oddness of this tale, there is an untold scandal. The people our governments are labeling as "one of the great menace of our times" have an extraordinary story to tell -- and some justice on their side.

..snip..

In 1991, the government of Somalia - in the Horn of Africa - collapsed. Its nine million people have been teetering on starvation ever since - and many of the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country's food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.

Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died. Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy to Somalia, tells me: "Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead, and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury - you name it." Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to "dispose" of cheaply. When I asked Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: "Nothing. There has been no clean-up, no compensation, and no prevention."

At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish-stocks by over-exploitation - and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300m worth of tuna, shrimp, lobster and other sea-life is being stolen every year by vast trawlers illegally sailing into Somalia's unprotected seas. The local fishermen have suddenly lost their livelihoods, and they are starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."..cont'd

[huffpo link]

'Toxic waste' behind Somali piracy

By Najad Abdullahi

Some pirates operating off Somalia's coast claim to act as coastguards.

Somali pirates have accused European firms of dumping toxic waste off the Somali coast and are demanding an $8m ransom for the return of a Ukranian ship they captured, saying the money will go towards cleaning up the waste.

The ransom demand is a means of "reacting to the toxic waste that has been continually dumped on the shores of our country for nearly 20 years", Januna Ali Jama, a spokesman for the pirates, based in the semi-autonomous region of Puntland, said.

"The Somali coastline has been destroyed, and we believe this money is nothing compared to the devastation that we have seen on the seas."

The pirates are holding the MV Faina, a Ukrainian ship carrying tanks and military hardware, off Somalia's northern coast.

According to the International Maritime Bureau, 61 attacks by pirates have been reported since the start of the year.

While money is the primary objective of the hijackings, claims of the continued environmental destruction off Somalia's coast have been largely ignored by the regions's maritime authorities.

[al-jiz link]

[snipped to preserve viewer sanity]

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=115x181834

So.... They're claiming that the Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden are really brave eco-warriors trying to prevent those evil corporations from stealing the food and dumping WASTE in Somalian waters..

The primitives lap it up like warm cream.

One of the sheep attempts to leave the herd..

FogerRox  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Tue Jan-06-09 04:00 AM
Response to Original message
9. I fail to see the connection between nuclear waste and pirates

I really think the concept is off the deep end.

But is quickly shouted down.

Zodiak Ironfist  DU Moderator Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Tue Jan-06-09 03:33 PM
Response to Reply #9
21. When the pirates were asked about why they were doing what they are doing

They stated that foreign vessels fishing their seas were starving them, and they would rather die fighting than watching their families starve.

So yeah...the connection was there if you bothered to look. Apparently you did not.

I get the impression that the DUmmies ability to ignore reality is proportional to the level of blame attributed to western society in their pet theory.

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
Re: This is a DISASTER!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:45:42 PM »
Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters.

Wasn't he in "An American Carol" ?

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »
It's Bushs' fault.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 05:11:12 PM »
We be glowin' in the dark. And marketing. Yarr.

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:31:31 PM »
We are definitely dealing with the low end of three sigma here.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »
Yeah whatever there sparky. We sank far more in shipping during both world wars on both sides to make the Exxon Valdez look like a kiddie pool accident. Teh stupid should be fatal to those idiots.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:40:42 PM »
We really need to flush the pot at DU and hope for better DUmmies in the new year.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »
And of course, NOTHING is radioactive unless WE made it that way, DUmmie.

Shut up and eat another banana.  Oh wait, there's Potassium-40 in those.  Radioactive.  Actually shows up on a whole body scan, too.

Here's a little conundrum for ya, DUmmies--why is the center of the earth molten?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »
Wasn't he in "An American Carol" ?

Which one there seemed to be many  :lmao:

And of course, NOTHING is radioactive unless WE made it that way, DUmmie.

Shut up and eat another banana.  Oh wait, there's Potassium-40 in those.  Radioactive.  Actually shows up on a whole body scan, too.

Here's a little conundrum for ya, DUmmies--why is the center of the earth molten?

Oh the old K40 propoganda

And it's easy as to why the center of the earth is molten................George * made it that way when he used the death ray on the twin towers..............DUH
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

Well, granted you have to use a PRM-5 probe and KNOW what you're looking for (gamma energy 1.31 MeV), but yes, two bananas.  I'm not kidding.  Granted, it would be eliminated quickly because the body keeps a pretty tight equilibrium on potassium levels, but right after eating it, you could see it.  We tried it.

God, what geeks we were.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
Somali pirates have accused European firms of dumping toxic waste off the Somali coast and are demanding an $8m ransom for the return of a Ukranian ship they captured, saying the money will go towards cleaning up the waste.

The ransom demand is a means of "reacting to the toxic waste that has been continually dumped on the shores of our country for nearly 20 years", Januna Ali Jama, a spokesman for the pirates, based in the semi-autonomous region of Puntland, said.

:thatsright: And these fools believe this???  :mental:

Teh Stupid over there is getting worse.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »
Well, granted you have to use a PRM-5 probe and KNOW what you're looking for (gamma energy 1.31 MeV), but yes, two bananas.  I'm not kidding.  Granted, it would be eliminated quickly because the body keeps a pretty tight equilibrium on potassium levels, but right after eating it, you could see it.  We tried it.

God, what geeks we were.

Oh I know............I was talking the old k40.....bananas have radiation, being a 107 worker is even less hazardous than eating :thatsright:

I remember a PRM-5 survey in our shop and them finding some hot fittings

Not us, ended up being SSN-721........ugly incident

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 07:53:26 PM »
Oh I know............I was talking the old k40.....bananas have radiation, being a 107 worker is even less hazardous than eating :thatsright:

I remember a PRM-5 survey in our shop and them finding some hot fittings

Not us, ended up being SSN-721........ugly incident

Chicago?  Do tell--I went to A school and prototype with a couple of guys (one RO, one mechanic) who ended up on the Chicago, plus my first XO on Buffalo ended up being the CO there a few years later.  There's got to be a reference on Chicago SOMEWHERE about the "Norweigan God of Sex", or doing the "Pelvic Airplane" dance--both of whom refer to the same guy.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
Short story..............they turned in their 3666-10K-1 Pressure calibrator to us (MIRCS LAB).  It was on the shelf awaiting shipment to the warehouse.  They came in for the annual PRM-5 survey and found 2 boxes of fittings that were hot.  Shut us down for about a week checking every damn fitting we had and everything else.

After quick research and thank the sea gods King Nutronics serializes the fitting boxes with the units (same number).  We discover that it belongs to the Chicago..................well the fun began then.  A Nuclear Inquisition began in the McKee Repair Conference room...........us present, Radcon present, squadron 11 present, Group 5 present and Chicago present.  The finger pointing and blame was flying all around.  The chicago blamed us, radcon defended us, Squadron 11 just shook his head........Group 5 looked in disbelief.  (This inquisition is the long story.............I was in just awe at everything going on............shocked the CO when I told him he was full of shit accusing my shop of contaminating the fittings)

Well when it was all said and done the only hot fittings were in the Chicago's box and we were cleared...................well except for all the damn new training we all had to do.  It seems the Chicago had been doing their "potentially" contaminated gages instead of sending them to us for the glove box are being done in a drape with already contaminated equipment.

Guess it could have been your buddy the mechanic

Can't remember if it was the Chicago or La Jolla that came in with the RAM missing on the Type 18, head window cracked on the Type 2 and both antennas bent almost 90 degrees.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »
Can't remember if it was the Chicago or La Jolla that came in with the RAM missing on the Type 18, head window cracked on the Type 2 and both antennas bent almost 90 degrees.

If it was around 1996, it was the La Jolla.  They fought with a torpedo retriever and lost.  We just dropped our anchor off Pattaya when we couldn't raise it and couldn't lower it.  Between Jefferson City, La Jolla, and Houston, it's a wonder there isn't a memorial plaque on that base somewhere.  Also, didn't the Gurnard hit the same seamount TWICE back in the late 80's?

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 11:09:34 PM »
Which one there seemed to be many  :lmao:

And it's easy as to why the center of the earth is molten................George * made it that way when he used the death ray on the twin towers..............DUH

Now that's funny!!!! H5!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 05:05:00 AM »
:thatsright: And these fools believe this???  :mental:

Teh Stupid over there is getting worse.

Let me know when reports of Godzilla sightings in the waters around Somalia start showing up. When toxic waste is involved, Japanese monsters aren't too far behind.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 05:33:47 AM »
Let me know when reports of Godzilla sightings in the waters around Somalia start showing up. When toxic waste is involved, Japanese monsters aren't too far behind.

:rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao:  H5!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.