Author Topic: green commode primitive brings up Meg Whitman for governor of California  (Read 632 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4770655

Oh my.

The things the primitives think of, to clutter their little tiny minds:

WCGreen  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 02:37 PM
Original message

Meg Whitman to run for California Gov...

The woman behind EBay wants to take over from Arnold....

Good luck on that...

The silly primitive:

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 03:04 PM
Response to Original message

6. Peachy.. another "niche" governor

and y'know what? I have not heard much "buzz" about ANY democrat who might be running..

No doubt we'll have another Bustamante run (boring) and some mid-level , relatively unknown dems will challenge

there will be somemore divisive "propositions" to bring out all the freeps and we'll be stuck with Gov.e-Bay..another republican

Look for proportional giveaway of our electoral votes, folks.. that's a republican wet-dream, and gaining ground with the non-thinkers..of both parties..

I had heard that DiFi was interested, but she's not said much lately about it..and she's too old anyway (IMHO)..

Google California governor's race & this is ALL that comes up under the "news" tab:

It's Politics: Sanchez in elite company
Whittier Daily News, CA - Dec 26, 2008
GOVERNOR'S RACE: Rep. Gary Miller has endorsed state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner for governor. Miller, R-Diamond Bar, joins state Sen. ...
NewsBlaze
"Bank on California" Money Laundering Scheme May Bankrupt California
NewsBlaze, CA - Dec 26, 2008
If deported, they will default on loans they take out under the Governor's plan. Deported illegal aliens would have no incentive to continue to pay off ...
Reviews: Grades 5 & Up
School Library Journal - Jan 1, 2009
Although the teen and her family are largely accepted in their small 1920s community, outsiders come to enforce the governor's decree that Vermont is only ...
WELT ONLINE
UPI NewsTrack TopNews
United Press International - Dec 10, 2008
The governor's lawyer said his client doesn't plan to resign after being arrested Tuesday on charges he, among other things, tried to sell or barter ...
Video: Obama On Blagojevich Aftermath CBS
12-11-08 EUR ALL ON ONE PAGE Eurweb.com

see what I mean

Alas, the poor silly primitive; no Democrat candidate yet.

Alexander  (1000+ posts)      Mon Jan-05-09 03:41 PM
Response to Reply #6

9. Gavin Newsom will run. And he will win.

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 03:46 PM
Response to Reply #9

10. I hope you're right..

Xithras (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 03:54 PM
Response to Reply #9

11. Sadly, I don't think he would

Newsom has tremendous political support in the Bay Area, but his support wanes quickly once you get out of that region. Support for him in SoCal is soft, and it's practically nonexistent in the redder noncoastal regions.

The problem with Newsom, IMHO, is that he's still identified too closely as a San Francisco politician, which doesn't scale well to the rest of the state. I think he should take a shot at a state assembly seat (which he would win), spend a few years working at the state level, and THEN take a shot at the governors seat. He needs to separate his identity from SF a little first.

Hmmm.  That's not gonna go over well with Doug's ex-wife, who thinks her home city is America.

ColbertWatcher  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 04:49 PM
Response to Reply #11

22. You know what? I don't agree with the idea ... 

... that a San Francisco politician is radioactive.

I'm betting that if he were to campaign and people were to get to know him, their ideas about him and San Francisco politicians would change.

After all, another San Francisco politician represents the state in the Senate.

Xithras (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 05:44 PM
Response to Reply #22

23. Yes, and DiFi also lost to a Republican when she ran for Gov. 

And on these boards, she ranks up there with Lieberman when it comes to popularity.

Perhaps not the greatest of examples there.

And I do have to disagree with you about San Francisco politics being radioactive. Have a discussion with a central California environmentalist about SF sometime and you'll probably be shocked at the outright disdain that even many California LIBERALS have for the politicians in that city.

By the way, I'd probably skip a Newsom vote myself over the Hetch Hetchy issue. His attack on environmentalists a few years ago, and his quotes that went along with it, pretty well defined everything wrong with San Francisco politicians. I like his stance on some issues, but he is a classic San Francisco politician in many areas that I just can't ignore.

ColbertWatcher  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 05:59 PM
Response to Reply #23

24. I only used DiFi as an example because she was able to win the state. 

Showing that at least the majority of the state can elect a San Francisco politician to state-wide office.

But, there's gotta be one San Francisco politician who isn't painted with that "San Francisco politician" brush!

Xithras (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 06:38 PM
Response to Reply #24

25. The DiFi thing is interesting. 

She lost to Pete Wilson by a fairly wide margin, but won her Senate bid only two years later. Lots of people attributed her victory to the fact that people disliked Seymore, who had been Wilson's appointee to the seat previously.

By the way, we cannot forget, in this discussion, that DiFi herself is reportedly mulling a run for the seat. She's supposedly still somewhat irked over losing it the last time around and is considering a second try. If she throws her hat in, she'll be the nominee. The political machines in the state party will be behind her, and Newsom doesn't have what it takes to run an Obama-like campaign to override the parties internal machinations. She wields an incredible amount of power within the California Democratic Party, while Newsom is largely an outsider to state party politics.

Yet another reason why he should run for another state position before trying to become governor.

Le Taz Hot  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jan-06-09 10:17 AM
Response to Reply #22

29. I live in one of the "redder" inland areas of the state.

Trust me, they will see him as a San Francisco politician. Bay Areans in general have a very very very bad habit of looking down their noses at the rest of the state, particularly the farming communities (we stink, we're uneducated, we're "oakies" and "arkies," etc.) so the fact that he's from San Francisco will hurt him. What can I say, Bay Area, you reap what you sow. Additionally, the nutso fundies will only see him as being the "pro-gay" candidate and of course there's nothing worse in their world than being pro hom-I-se-shul.

ColbertWatcher  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 04:04 PM
Response to Reply #6

13. What would you say if Boxer ran?

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-05-09 04:11 PM
Response to Reply #13

14. we need her more in the senate

Ah yes, Babs Boxer, ranked with Patty Murray as the two most IQ-challenged senators in Congress.

It's unfortunate that the two stupidest U.S. Senators have to be women, but it was a coincidence likely to happen sooner or later.

The primitives squibble-squabble on and on, but I was more interested in seeing if Doug's ex-wife had shown up at this bonfire, and no, she hadn't.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: green commode primitive brings up Meg Whitman for governor of California
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »
TomInTib could run and win.  :-)
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »
What the Libtards fail to understand is we have a Demoncrat controlled state, with a poser Repub "running" it. Look at the mess THAT'S gotten us into.

Newsom should go clean toilets.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »
TomInTib could run and win.  :-)

He already did. First elected in 1966 by a landslide, got over 114% of the vote. Longest serving senator from California, has the Congressional Medal of Freedom with nut clusters to prove it.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »

He already did. First elected in 1966 by a landslide, got over 114% of the vote. Longest serving senator from California, has the Congressional Medal of Freedom with nut clusters to prove it.

And then he woke up from his alcoholic blackout and discovered that out here in the real world the only nut clusters he has in hand to brag about are his useless, shriveled up testes.

Damn Sterno nightmares...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.