Author Topic: Police look to hack citizens' home PCs  (Read 506 times)

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
Police look to hack citizens' home PCs
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »
Police and state intelligence agencies from several countries may soon be working together to secretly hack into private citizens' personal computers without their knowledge and without a warrant.

According to a London Times report, the police hacking process, called "remote searching," enables law enforcement to gather information from e-mails, instant messages and Web browsers, even while hundreds of miles away.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=85293
I am fairly computer literate and USED play the black hat back at times in the days of bulletin boards and the initial opening of the Internet to the public. At my home I use a router to route down from my ISP assigned IP address to a private address and I only have a handful of ports open. Additionally, I use McAfee and Comodo firewalls. I have my doubts that they could gain access to my computer unless they used a trojan or key logger and I know I am protected from that.
Any ideas how these jerks could hack into my computer? The GRC port scan utility says I am completely stealth on the Internets.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Police look to hack citizens' home PCs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:32:33 PM »
It sounds like they are tapping into information on servers and tracking back the attribution for the traffic item that catches the attention of their super-Raptor, rather than going for your home computer in situ.  Search and seizure standards elsewhere do not use the same legal system we do, it is generally much easier to go for the home unit once you develop a lead to it than it would be in the US.  There is some potential for problems in the US though, since legally if something is intercepted by a warrantless search overseas, and the overseas law enforcement people turn over what they have to our LEOs, our LEOs can use it under what is referred to as the "Silver Platter" and "Clean Hands" doctrines, because the rules for exclusion of evidence for unlawful searches only apply to actions by US law enforcement agencies, if they are presented with evidence (no matter how obtained) from a source not subject to US law they can run with it and use it as a basis to obtain a warrant of their own or even make a bust, if it's complete enough.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.