Author Topic: I must pimp something here...  (Read 1153 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
I must pimp something here...
« on: January 03, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »
We are going to be going to So-Cal for a week in February and my wife was looking at Hotel rates in the San Diego-Carlsbad area.  She was finding problems booking adjoining rooms (An ungoing fricking hassle with hotel chains) and the rates were running steep.

So we fell back on an old friend, Vacation Rentals By Owner or VRBO for short.  It was where I found my cabin in Washington state for my get away. She looked and was finding rental homes with swimming pools AND private beaches for right around a thousand a week.

That sounds a little steep on the surface but a NICE hotel will run near $200 a night for an occupancy of 2 growed ups and two kids, more with a suite or adjoining rooms. That's slightly cheaper for 7 full days in a private house with a full kitchen and private swimming pool.  Most of the rentals have hot tubs and other bennies as well.

We have used this a lot for vacations and have had really good luck with the prices and been totally satisfied with the rentals.

If it can save any of you money on big family trips it pleases me to share the tip. :)

http://www.vrbo.com/

:cheersmate:

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: I must pimp something here...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:29:47 PM »
We are going to be going to So-Cal for a week in February and my wife was looking at Hotel rates in the San Diego-Carlsbad area.  She was finding problems booking adjoining rooms (An ungoing fricking hassle with hotel chains) and the rates were running steep.

So we fell back on an old friend, Vacation Rentals By Owner or VRBO for short.  It was where I found my cabin in Washington state for my get away. She looked and was finding rental homes with swimming pools AND private beaches for right around a thousand a week.

That sounds a little steep on the surface but a NICE hotel will run near $200 a night for an occupancy of 2 growed ups and two kids, more with a suite or adjoining rooms. That's slightly cheaper for 7 full days in a private house with a full kitchen and private swimming pool.  Most of the rentals have hot tubs and other bennies as well.

We have used this a lot for vacations and have had really good luck with the prices and been totally satisfied with the rentals.

If it can save any of you money on big family trips it pleases me to share the tip. :)

http://www.vrbo.com/

:cheersmate:

I enjoyed the San Diego Marriott this last week.

But I paid for it with points.

On Edit: ******* ghey smilies
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:45:56 PM by freedumb2003 »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:29:52 PM »
We did that on our trip to Switzerland.  It was a hell of a lot cheaper than finding hotels for a family of five.  The Outer Banks has lots of rent-by-the-week homes as well.  The one my brother got was $1500 a week for a four bedroom house that slept nine people.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »
We did a similar setup the first time we went to London.  At the time it was just over $1000 for a week in Knightsbridge, literally a block away from Harvey Nichols and a block away from Harrod's overlooking Hyde Park.

Suh-weet.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »
I still prefer the cute little cottages that this one place has for rent out on Tybee Island... Just over $1300 per week, but well worth it.  This one place, Fish Camp Cottage, is absolute heaven, inside and out.  A little old-fashioned, yet high-tech at the same time.  It has no dish washer, but it has wireless internet and DirecTv.  :-)

Fish Camp Cottage
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
I enjoyed the San Diego Marriott this last week.

But I paid for it with points.

On Edit: damn ghey smilies

Which one was it? We'll be going to San Diego in August and I can book rooms at any Marriott with points earned through sales. I believe you had mentioned Mission Bay. Is that the facility that has lovely grounds, very tropical, by the water? I might have stayed in it once. Perhaps you can Pm me or just post here.

Many thanks.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »
Which one was it? We'll be going to San Diego in August and I can book rooms at any Marriott with points earned through sales. I believe you had mentioned Mission Bay. Is that the facility that has lovely grounds, very tropical, by the water? I might have stayed in it once. Perhaps you can Pm me or just post here.

Many thanks.

San Diego Marriott and Marina

The view from my room looked a lot like:

It was very nice.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:23:12 PM by freedumb2003 »

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
I stayed in one of them fancy motel rooms once.  It had a coffee maker AND a handheld bathroom heater right in the room.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 10:31:33 PM »
I stayed in one of them fancy motel rooms once.  It had a coffee maker AND a handheld bathroom heater right in the room.

Ah, but did it have a PHONE in the bathroom?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:33:36 PM »
Ah, but did it have a PHONE in the bathroom?

They have phone?

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 10:58:33 PM »

San Diego Marriott and Marina

The view from my room looked a lot like:

It was very nice.

Thanks, will check it out. I think it's the place where I had stayed before. Could you see the military ships go by there? Had stayed in a hotel in the downtown area and it was fascinating to see a variety of vessels that went by, including subs (not totally submerged). Please excuse this land-locked midwesterners lack of the proper names for the ships.