Author Topic: Cops fatally shoot Nazi memorabilia collector  (Read 643 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Cops fatally shoot Nazi memorabilia collector
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
Dummie thread on the recent killing of the guy in the nazi uniform.

Dennis Donovan  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jan-03-09 05:29 AM
Original message
Cops fatally shoot Nazi memorabilia collector (WA student wearing Nazi uniform and wielding rifle)   Updated at 4:46 PM

<snip>

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28477649 /

Submitted without comment.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4757853

The usual infighting , with some noteworthy responses.

thunder rising  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Jan-03-09 05:37 AM
Response to Original message
2. Ignorant and ill trained, our police have become judge, jury, and executioner.

I bet they'd change their tune the very instant that someone put a gun in their face and asked for their wallet.

aint_no_life_nowhere  (1000+ posts) Sat Jan-03-09 03:42 PM
Response to Reply #28
61. I only see one side of the story being reported here

The statement of facts is followed by the words "police said". Unless there was a percipient witness to back the police's story, I won't automatically buy it. Unfortunately, the young man is dead and can't tell his version. The cops responded to a report about gunfire. Did the young man actually point the gun at police or merely hold it? Was a warning given or did the cops shoot as soon as they saw the weapon? Was it just the action of one or two hot-headed cops in the group, with the others rallying behind the blue curtain and refusing to betray his unlawful actions? Some cops are very dangerously unstable and welcome opportunities to engage in target practice. Some cops are good but some others do not belong in uniform. Maybe nothing can be done about it, but I for one refuse to automatically accept everything the police says.

Idiots like this would sit around watching their house burn down while they debated if the glow was just a light that got left on.

HypnoToad  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Jan-03-09 09:36 AM
Response to Reply #2
34. Have you been a cop? Do you know any cops? You need rudimentary edification.

In situations confronting people with weapons, YOU DO NOT KNOW if they have blanks, if they are clowning around, or have an intent to use the weapon they are wielding. YOU DON'T.

Now add in human emotion and even the most rational of people might make a mistake.

I feel sorry for cops. Especially when post-situation evidence reveals it's some crank shooting blanks. But the cop didn't know that and what's he supposed to do: Ask the guy upfront and take him at face value? (which wouldn't be very bright on the cop's part.)

But on DU, cops would never get their say. Why? Because people like you are always right; no ands, ifs, or buts about it. :sarcasm:

:o  Some sanity displayed by a poster I thought to be beyond hope.

Cleita  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sat Jan-03-09 04:49 PM
Response to Reply #34
75. Personally, I think it was the uniform and not the rifle. Having spent a

lot of time in the rural areas of Washington State and Idaho, seeing the occasional person walking around with rifles and camo isn't that unusual. People assume they are going or coming from hunting. So I don't think it was the rifle but the uniform may have upped the "nut with a gun" ante. I still think that police are too trigger happy about shooting people in funny clothes or sometimes what they consider gang colors.

Right back to crazyland.

More than the expected number of the DUmmies are actually comming out on the side of the police here, but there's still a lot of stupid.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Cops fatally shoot Nazi memorabilia collector
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »
Interesting to see that their hatred of police outweighs their supposed hatred of a symbol of facisim.

Does anyone doubt who would be wearing the swastika in exchange for promises of safety and prosperity from the government at the expense of the wealthy (Jews at the time).

It wouldn`t be us.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:12:46 PM »
Funny, I see guys in camo walking around town lots of times here in deer/turkey/moose hunting country, and I don't see cops shooting them up.  Then again, they're not brandishing weapons in public, either.

These people have a terminal case of the dumbass--no other explanation for it.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:30:16 PM »
Interesting to see that their hatred of police outweighs their supposed hatred of a symbol of facisim.

Does anyone doubt who would be wearing the swastika in exchange for promises of safety and prosperity from the government at the expense of the wealthy (Jews at the time).

It wouldn`t be us.

Primitives are Fascists. They project their hatred for Fascism stems from the fact they are Fascists.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du