Author Topic: Toyota losing money  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Toyota losing money
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4701136

notadmblnd  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-22-08 11:51 AM
Original message
Toyota projects first operating loss since 1941
 Edited on Mon Dec-22-08 11:55 AM by notadmblnd
Crashing auto demand, especially in its key U.S. market, and the profit erosion from a surging yen proved too much for Japan's top automaker, which had been booming on the success of its fuel-efficient models, including the Camry sedan and Prius gas-electric hybrid.

Watanabe and other executives said production plans and other investment will be on hold, including a new plant in the southern U.S. state of Mississippi and expansion plans in India.

At a similar news conference last week, Takeo Fukui, president of No. 2 Japan automaker Honda Motor Co., also lowered profit and sales forecasts and declined to give a vehicle sales goal for 2009.

Toyota said it will reduce temporary workers at its Japan plants to about 3,000 by March from an earlier 6,000. Full-time employees will have job security.

Toyota is a relatively old-style Japanese company that offers lifetime employment, and only in recent years has hired and let go of temporary workers to adjust production. It was reviewing overseas jobs but had not reached a decision, it said.

deaniac21 (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-22-08 01:05 PM
Response to Original message
12. Somehow I can't beleive they posted gains in 1945.

spyrogyra (124 posts)      Mon Dec-22-08 01:21 PM
Response to Reply #12
13. You know i was wondering what that profit statement looked like 
 in 1945,'46,'47.

deaniac21 (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-22-08 01:23 PM
Response to Reply #13
14. Maybe they made a profit selling ashes.

:o Yikes!!!!

Personally, I would love to see every Asian auto maker go BROKE.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Toyota losing money
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:08:06 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4701136

:o Yikes!!!!

Not me. A ton of Southerners employed at Asian auto manufacturers. My next vehicle will probably be a Tundra.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline djones520

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:21:29 PM »
Not me. A ton of Southerners employed at Asian auto manufacturers. My next vehicle will probably be a Tundra.

Yeah, Hyundai has a plant in Alabama, is building two more in Georgia I believe.

Meanwhile, GM is expanding it's production capabilities in China.  Who are the bad guys here?
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline comradebillyboy

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »
I don't really want to see any of the auto makers go broke, but I sure would like to see them willing to dicker a bit more on the new Acura I want.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »

My grandpa just bought a 2009 Tundra.  It's a cute little truck.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:23:32 PM »
I don't really want to see any of the auto makers go broke, but I sure would like to see them willing to dicker a bit more on the new Acura I want.

Contact various dealerships via their websites.  Internet department sales are more based on quantity and less on gross per vehicle. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »
GM has been casting and assembling engines in Canada forever. Chrysler has been pre assembling in Mexico longer. Ford has "borrowed" entire chassis and drive trains, popped a nice body (The probe) revalved the shocks, and BINGO, American car!

The Ford "world car" gets 55 mpg. But it cannot be sold here, not "safe" enough. And so on, yet GM trots out the "Volt" as its' big incentive car. 40Miles max range? The Detroit Electric WW1 era got advertized 80 and up to 120 miles observed if things were "perfect". But only went 20 mph. 

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 12:50:12 PM »
It's a cute little truck.

Thanks for ruining it for me. Guess I'll have to go with the Titan.  :banghead:

:-)

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »
Yeah, Hyundai has a plant in Alabama, is building two more in Georgia I believe.

Meanwhile, GM is expanding it's production capabilities in China.  Who are the bad guys here?

Kia, which is owned by Hyundai, has a plant in LaGrange, Ga. They won out over this area due to logistical purposes and it's proximity to the Hyundai plant. Nissan is in Canton, Ms. Honda is in Alabama. Mercedes has a plant in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. BMW has a plant in South Carolina. Toyota has a plant in Huntsville, Alabama.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 12:56:38 PM »

The 2009 Tundra looks suspiciously like a Dodge ram. It's all good though because the 2009 Ram except for the grill area looks like a Ford.  :-)
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 12:57:06 PM »

Yep, heterosexual males don't drive "cute" vehicles. :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »
The 2009 Tundra looks suspiciously like a Dodge ram. It's all good though because the 2009 Ram except for the grill area looks like a Ford.  :-)

I like those tool boxes that are built into the walls of the new Dodge. ....just couldn't drive another Dodge. My ex-wife and I had an Avenger ES in '96, first year it came out, turned out to be a huge POS.

BTW, that new Tundra has some hellacious HP and "torqueage", and it still uses the bigger engine of the "normal" quarter-tons, a 5.7L.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »
Yep, heterosexual males don't drive "cute" vehicles. :-)

Not saying I would even try it in a million years, but I think the Titan is supposed to be rated for about 9500 LBs of towing capacity.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 01:09:19 PM »
I like those tool boxes that are built into the walls of the new Dodge. ....just couldn't drive another Dodge. My ex-wife and I had an Avenger ES in '96, first year it came out, turned out to be a huge POS.

BTW, that new Tundra has some hellacious HP and "torqueage", and it still uses the bigger engine of the "normal" quarter-tons, a 5.7L.

Power is wasted because of the light frame and not enough of a rear end. It's a Hobby truck not a work truck.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 01:46:10 PM »

He actually bought the "little" truck they have, just a regular cab.  (See my thread with my weekend pics in the Lounge and you can see it).  It's a good little truck, he was replacing a similar sized Chevrolet pickup that was flooded.  He's no towing anything with it or anything like that.
Stink Eye

Offline guest

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »
Miss Mia, the truck your grandpa has appears to be a Tacoma... Tundra is the full-size truck, something my stepdad's been eyeing for awhile.

My uncle has a Tacoma exactly like your grandpa's, only its maroon.  It IS a great little truck.  I wouldn't slander it by calling it "cute."  My uncle would be highly offended.  :lmao:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:06:47 PM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 02:10:07 PM »

I like the Asian brands. They build a better vehicle and don't extort my tax dollars out of my elected officials to keep them afloat during lean times. Between the greed of the union bosses and the incompetence of the executives, I'm surprised the Big 3 have made it as far as they have.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 02:27:19 PM »
I like the Asian brands. They build a better vehicle and don't extort my tax dollars out of my elected officials to keep them afloat during lean times. Between the greed of the union bosses and the incompetence of the executives, I'm surprised the Big 3 have made it as far as they have.

Actually those plants are receiving some good Tax abatement/economic development grants to locate where they are locating. I don't have a problem with that. In fact I think it's a wise economic move by local authorities. Just don't kid yourself that they are locating there out of the kindness of their hearts.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
Actually those plants are receiving some good Tax abatement/economic development grants to locate where they are locating. I don't have a problem with that. In fact I think it's a wise economic move by local authorities. Just don't kid yourself that they are locating there out of the kindness of their hearts.
I don't have a problem with local tax incentives either. It's when the government starts taking money directly out of my check so that it can be funneled into the pockets of union hacks that I get a little miffed. Further, the local governments in these areas have done the math and determined that it benefits them financially to have the plants there. The plants provide jobs to people who then spend money and pay taxes. It's a win-win for everybody. I know the Asian companies don't do it out of the kindness of their hearts. They do it because it allows them to be competitive in the marketplace rather than asking Congress to help fund their incompetence.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 02:45:28 PM »

Remember who bombed us. They're still attacking us.

You can keep those foreigh pieces of shit.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »
Miss Mia, the truck your grandpa has appears to be a Tacoma... Tundra is the full-size truck, something my stepdad's been eyeing for awhile.

My uncle has a Tacoma exactly like your grandpa's, only its maroon.  It IS a great little truck.  I wouldn't slander it by calling it "cute."  My uncle would be highly offended.  :lmao:

Yeah, I went and looked at it again and it's a Tacoma.   :thatsright:

Hey, my grandpa is a cutie so his truck is too.  :wink:
Stink Eye

Offline djones520

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 02:51:59 PM »
Remember who bombed us. They're still attacking us.

You can keep those foreigh pieces of shit.

Yay!  We've found a closet racist.

Grow the **** up.  We killed 2.7 million Japanese and dropped two atomic weapons on their nation for that war.  Since then we've become some of the closest allies.  And quite frankly, in the near 8 years I've lived in Japan and defended her shores, I can say without a hesitation in my mind that most Japanese are better people then most Americans.

They've long ago gotten over the atrocities we committed onto them.  Why don't you join the rest of us where we don't have our heads shoved up our asses.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 02:52:17 PM »

He actually bought the "little" truck they have, just a regular cab.  (See my thread with my weekend pics in the Lounge and you can see it).  It's a good little truck, he was replacing a similar sized Chevrolet pickup that was flooded.  He's no towing anything with it or anything like that.

Here's a Tundra:

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
Here's a Tundra:

Rebel, I just feel silly, I kept saying Tundra when it obviously isn't.  I used to date a guy that drove a Tundra and it's clearly different than the little Tacoma.  :)

And a Tundra is never cute, it's very manly.   :naughty:
Stink Eye

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »
Hmmmm.

One wonders why the primitives are even discussing this issue of economics, of finance, of business?

Given their level of knowledge and understanding of how things work, the primitives discussing this issue is like the village idiot describing the effect of derivatives on international money markets.

Primitives should stick with stuff they know about.
apres moi, le deluge