Author Topic: Primitive Mortgage Rounding Woes With A Fish Bouncy Thrown In.  (Read 1832 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
Primitive Mortgage Rounding Woes With A Fish Bouncy Thrown In.
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:53:26 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4677528

sixmile (407 posts)      Thu Dec-18-08 04:35 PM
Original message
Seeing red after a call from Citigroup Mortgage
My mortgage company just called me to demand $10.70 that I owe on my mortgage then refused to let me pay it with my next payment and threatened to report me to the credit agency. It seems I rounded down a few payments by pennies and now they're sending the posse out to collect.

I know Citibank is a big ponzi scheme, but do they RELLY need this money right now?
Thanks for letting me vent.

Yet another effed up facist institution with it's "Rules" expecting to be paid what they are owed bashes the common man.  :whatever:

sixmile (407 posts)      Thu Dec-18-08 04:40 PM
Response to Reply #1
6. Why can't consumers report companies to the credit bureaus?
 Or better yet. Where's our ****ing credit bureau?
I've never even spoken with this company after years of paying my mortgage, and they feel I'm worth a harassment call.

NYCALIZ  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-18-08 04:39 PM
Response to Original message
3. they don't have the option of not counting you delinquent
 even if its only a small part of your scheduled payment amount.
Why take a chance of occurring penalty rates over $10.70 that you acknowledge that you owe?

sixmile (407 posts)      Thu Dec-18-08 04:47 PM
Response to Reply #3
14. Why don't they have the option?
 Edited on Thu Dec-18-08 04:48 PM by sixmile
If George Bailey were running Citibank they would have the option. If anything that had a soul was running Citibank they would have the option.

All too often it seems the hidden hand of the 'system' runs things and people use it as an excuse to be assholes.

percussivemadness (566 posts)      Thu Dec-18-08 04:39 PM
4. here`s a good one for you, I have done it myself, and it really pisses them off
 Buy a fish, write you account details on it, including routing etc...then add the amount and sign it, put it in a box and mail it to them. Once your signature is on it (anything can be a check) they are obliged to accept it.

There follows a short and stupid debate on what constitutes a check and what an assclown the Drummy Primitive is.

Mike 03  (949 posts)        Thu Dec-18-08 04:39 PM
5. Wow, Citi is desperate. 
 That is pathetic beyond belief that they are playing hardball with you over ten dollars.

That is a great reason for nobody to even consider buying stock in Citi, and I know some people have been.

Shocking and sad.

A few months ago, for fun, I wrote them a check to pay off my credit card balance, and there was a one cent at the end of the number, and I did not send them that penny.

To my amazement, my next statement showed I had paid my balance in full. I thought for sure I'd have to pay a penny interest on that penny.

Make no mistake: Citi is in dire straits.

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-18-08 04:46 PM
Response to Reply #5
13. I transposed a number with a Sears Charge
 I tell my husband to use the damned debit card, but NOOOOO he HAD to use the damned Sears card (which I thought we had CUT up..but that's another story)..anyway

I accidentally left a 99cent balance, and the next month...my bill had a $ 2.00 amount due.. That's right $1.01 finance change for a 99 cent balance..

I made him take them the $2.00 and pay it at the store..

and dammit..if he didn't use the thing AGAIN this month..handed me a bill for $179.34...which I immediately went online and paid..and triple checked the amount..

apparently he gets a minute discount by using their damned card, when he buys some cockamamie tool..(Our garage has a bigger "tool department" than most Sears' stores)

NYCALIZ  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-18-08 04:44 PM
10. my company charges me an additional $225 if I don't
 Edited on Thu Dec-18-08 04:46 PM by NYCALIZ
make full payment by the due date even if its only 1 day late.

added Chase Mortgage Company

hfojvt  (1000+ posts)        Thu Dec-18-08 04:52 PM
17. a big Ponzi scheme? They leant you money to buy a house.
 You call that a scheme? I think they suck. In fact, on my favorites menu is a link to their website, and I labelled the link "Citimortgage - we suck" but you really oughta pay what you owe too.

sixmile (407 posts)      Thu Dec-18-08 04:54 PM
Response to Reply #17
18. No. They did not.
 They bought my mortgage from another company. And I do pay what I owe, thank you.

Well... Except for that whole "Rounding" thing...

sixmile (407 posts)      Thu Dec-18-08 05:29 PM
Response to Reply #24
25. When I say rounding down 
 I paid $____.20 instead of $____.70, but to be fair, you're missing the point of the OP
  :rotf:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 05:01:01 PM by asdf2231 »

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Primitive Mortgage Rounding Woes With A Fish Bouncy Thrown In.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:57:57 PM »
Speaking of.....has anybody seen the cymbals primitive the past few days?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 05:05:08 PM »
So she's been paying less than the required amount and now is pissed b/c they want their money.  Dumbass. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »
So she's been paying less than the required amount and now is pissed b/c they want their money.  Dumbass. 

See it's okay though because she was trying to rip off a CORPORATION that is trying to keep her down by making money and acting all corporationy.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:12:57 PM »
See it's okay though because she was trying to rip off a CORPORATION that is trying to keep her down by making money and acting all corporationy.

Bastards!  :bird:  You mean they actually wanted the money she was behind?!?!?!  How dare them! 

You know, I never have this problem.  I always pay more than the minimum mortgage payment.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »
sixmile (407 posts)      Thu Dec-18-08 05:29 PM
Response to Reply #24
25. When I say rounding down  
 I paid $____.20 instead of $____.70, but to be fair, you're missing the point of the OP

In my best Ron White impersonation...

Don`t let a DUmmy pay your ****** bills.

Sometimes it is just hard to not explode at these cretins.
If the bill says you owe 100.70 that means you owe 100.70,not anything different.
The computer that does the receivables and prints the statements doesn`t see the humor or angst in your payment of anything different,nor does the bookeeper that has to enter your payment exactly as it was sent.

It will calculate perfectly that you are .70 cents short and will keep that figure applied in a 30 day field with service charges against it.
If it was a mistake most places will do a journal entry to waive it and balance the books but here it sounds as if the DUmmy is routinely doing it for whatever insane or bizarre reason they might have.

If that gets out to a point (usually 120 days past due) regardless of the amount it will kick it to collections if that is how it is programmed.

For being such super intellects they rarely demonstrate much knowledge of how things in the world actually work.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »
He/she/it is lucky she didn't get hit with a late fee for non-payment. 

If you're paying bills, the smart thing to do is round UP.  But like oil and water, DUmmies and smart don't mix.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
golddigger  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Thu Dec-18-08 05:23 PM
36. Jesus H. Christ! Just pay the damn $10.70, is it worth screwing up your credit.

:eyes:

I notice our friend golddigger has a new avatar

Stink Eye

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
IF there has ever been in any misunderstanding/problem with a credit card company, they have quickly and graciously fixed it.

Either the DUmbass is a habitual flake/****up (surprise surprise) or this is a complete fable.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
He/she/it is lucky she didn't get hit with a late fee for non-payment. 

If you're paying bills, the smart thing to do is round UP.  But like oil and water, DUmmies and smart don't mix.

Uh-huh.

I still have the old savings & loan passbooks used by my father, and I noticed he always made a monthly mortgage payment of $135.00, even though it was supposed to be $132.63.

When he died, the mortgage was already paid ahead for four years, because of that.

Of course, this was a simpler time. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »
Why on earth would anyone "round down"?  ::)

She obviously didn't pay attention either, when she signed her mortgage papers when she bought her house.

If she got her loan through ABC Mortgage...she most likely signed a paper that said ABC Mortgage reserved the right to sell the mortgage to another company.

Unless the mortgage is with a major lender (Chase, Citigroup, Wells Fargo, B of A, Countrywide, HSBC, etc), a savings and loan, a credit union, or a private banking lender.....chances are it will be "bundled" into a package of loans and sold to a major lender.

The borrower signs a paper, acknowledging this procedure is possible, at the closing.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »
Why doesn't the prim call its congressnoun and senators and ask for a bailout?  A George Baily-out.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline StormKat

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »

I notice our friend golddigger has a new avatar

Yeah, I notice that. What's up with Golddigger?

:-)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 09:05:13 AM »

Yep.  And if this same primitive's employer were to short their paycheck by as little as a penny, they'd be screaming bloody murder.  We all know the type:  It's always OK if they do it to someone else, but if someone else does it to them............

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 09:24:12 AM »
This one is a gem.  I have a couple of mortgages with Chase.
You have a TWO WEEK grace period with no additional charges on the mortgage payment.
This idiot can't make a payment within two weeks after it's due.

You know I'm a mortgage lender, and you'd be suurprised at the number of people who have no idea how to budget, because I've been in it for 20+ years and even I'm still surprised.  And it has nothing to do with their income.  I've seen couples that made $200K-$300K/year who can't make their $500 car payments on time, or better yet, they have 20 credit cards maxed out and they only make minimum payments each month.  Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
percussivemadness (566 posts)     
Thu Dec-18-08 04:39 PM
4. here`s a good one for you, I have done it myself, and it really pisses them off
 Buy a fish, write you account details on it, including routing etc...then add the amount and sign it, put it in a box and mail it to them. Once your signature is on it (anything can be a check) they are obliged to accept it.

:mental: :mental: :mental: :loser:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »
You know, something seems a little fishy here. We've had a relationship with Citibank for almost 20 years and they've always been fair with us. One time when my husband was laid off they let us pay just the principle and tacked the rest onto the back of the loan. I think maybe that $10 has a few more zeroes than said DUmmie is willing to admit.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »
You know, something seems a little fishy here. We've had a relationship with Citibank for almost 20 years and they've always been fair with us. One time when my husband was laid off they let us pay just the principle and tacked the rest onto the back of the loan. I think maybe that $10 has a few more zeroes than said DUmmie is willing to admit.

Cindie

DUmmies lie.

All the time DUmmies lie.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 02:57:44 AM »
If you are supposed to pay $X.70 why would you round down to $X.20 it doesn't make any sense, why not round up to $X +1 or down to $X? This is just self defeating stupidity.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 04:49:03 AM »
If you are supposed to pay $X.70 why would you round down to $X.20 it doesn't make any sense, why not round up to $X +1 or down to $X? This is just self defeating stupidity.

Bijou, it's primitive logic (an oxymoron, I know).

Makes me wonder if sixmile isn't a mole, cleverly disguised to show the abject stupidity of the island.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »
That little fishy trick won't work and I'll guarantee you that the poster never tried it. The moment said fish starts to decay it becomes a biohazard. Do you know what the penalty for sending a biohazard through the mail is? Delequent credit card payments will be the lest of their worries.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.