Author Topic: subway cat does a selling job  (Read 850 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
subway cat does a selling job
« on: December 16, 2008, 03:23:05 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4659824

Oh my.

Now, some of this is the subway cat's original stuff, and some of it's copied-and-pasted, but one quite reasonably assumes all readers know which is which.

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-16-08 12:32 AM
Original message

Making the sickness and selling the"treatments"   

But never find the cure?

The Breast Cancer Profiteers

While Rhone Poulenc Rorer's pharmaceutical division churns out docetaxel (Taxotere), a breast cancer treatment drug, material safety data sheets reveal that 56 of the 91 crop protection products on the company's website "contain ingredients that are probable or suspected carcinogens."

Also the world leader in 1998 agrochemical sales, at $4.15 billion, Novartis makes the pamidronate compounds used to treat bone metastases in breast cancer patients. On one web page, this multinational boasts that "Novartis intends to lead the fight against cancer by introducing therapies that battle the disease and alleviate the patients' suffering." Another page boasts, "Novartis Crop Protection is the leader in fungicides."

Eli Lilly and Co. sells millions worth of raloxifene (Evista) to treat breast cancer, but a cash cow for Elanco, Lilly's animal health division, is the cattle hormone Rumentin. Eating hormone-treated meat is suspected to alter estrogen levels, which may contribute to cancer risk. And Elanco manufactured pesticides under Eli Lilly until 1997, when DowElanco, the progeny of its marriage to Dow Chemical Co., became a separate entity.

http://www.greens.org/s-r/20/20-05.html

They make the chemicals, they run the treatment centers, and they're still looking for "the cure" — no wonder they won't tell you about breast cancer prevention.

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/199909/cancer.asp

Looks like cancer is making some people very rich.I don't think the people profiting from pesticides that cause cancer while profiting from the treatment of cancer will support universal healthcare.

These corporations are so intertwined so conflicted they ensure we all end up suffering and they will sell us a remedy that will only suppress symptoms but never a cure, because a cure does not make patients into repeat customers.Many people are losing everything to pay medical bills,I don't think people profiting off this shit want the gravy train to stop.

Now, I wouldn't go as far as the subway cat, but I'd go a little ways with her; I have some qualms about the pharmaceutical industry, because while on the whole it seems genuinely driven to cure, because of human venality, there may be instances where its priority is selling its product, more so than curing something.

So I'll go not a mile, but at least a few feet, with the subway cat on this.

babylonsister  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-16-08 12:35 AM
Response to Original message

1. Cancer is making lots of people wealthy. Sad but true and has been for a long time. Then there are the tests and the biopsies and MRIs, etc., to really prove someone has it. Ca-ching.

wiggs (1000+ posts)      Tue Dec-16-08 12:36 AM

2. Seeing just the headline I thought you were talking about wall street bailout.

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-16-08 01:23 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. That wall street bailout was the banks robbing all of us. whether they wear suits and call themselves Ceo's and rewrite laws and spook congress or hold a gun to your head and demand all you have,they are still nothing but stick up men and I hate them and the stupid compliant congress that went along with this stick up..

And yes the cult of the CEO is like a CANCER on this country, it needs to be cut out..

As do parasites on the public dole, although Shelley-0 during the campaign assured us that in the 0bamareich, everybody would "have to work," and one is reasonably confident--or perhaps not--the subway cat will be compelled to knuckle down and get a job, for the greater good.

Ichingcarpenter  (1000+ posts)      Tue Dec-16-08 12:40 AM

3. If there is a curable vaccine for cancer what happens to the drug companies?

I remember when there was a huge industry around Polio.

I know not the same kind of disease, but still its a point.

What happens to the drug companies is that as long as the Reader's Digest and similar mass-circulation magazines continue their decades-long habit of inventing new "diseases" or "ailments" for primitives, the drug companies will simply move on to those.

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-16-08 01:26 AM
Response to Reply #3

5. cancer is scary 

cancer can make a person desperate,it is painful disfiguring and deadly so to an inhuman profit seeking company,it's the misery of it that makes cancer the ultimate cash cow..As long as NOBODY takes the environmental toxin and pesticide causations for cancer seriously and the "scientists" keep on looking at everything BUT those causes.That way the cancer causing chemical makers who sell the cause and sell the treatment for what their"products" cause will remain unconnected in the public's mind..
apres moi, le deluge