Author Topic: No Reward For Meter Reader Who Found Skull  (Read 1179 times)

Offline thundley4

No Reward For Meter Reader Who Found Skull
« on: December 15, 2008, 09:38:45 PM »
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- It was a meter reader who found the remains that could be Caylee Anthony. He's having a tough time and does not want to talk with the media and he is so disturbed by what he found his bosses have given him some time off of work.
When the Orange County meter reader discovered a skull in the woods not too far from Caylee Anthony's home his supervisor called 911.
That phone call makes the meter reader ineligible for a $5,000 Crimeline reward. To collect the reward, you have to call Crimeline first before you call 911.
*snip*
Bounty hunter Leonard Padilla offered a $50,000 reward for Caylee's body, but pulled the money when people complained searchers were tearing up their yards looking for remains.
*snip*
Still, Padilla plans thinks the meter reader deserves some kind of reward and he plans to write him a check if the remains belong to Caylee.
"It's going to be a figure between five and ten grand involved easily," he said. "Nobody looks at bags out here in these palmettos, they just walk by it. This guy had the foresight to go over and do it."

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: No Reward For Meter Reader Who Found Skull
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:17:30 AM »
Should people get rewards for finding dead bodies though?  I think it should be a +1 brownie point in life.  Or a get out of jail free card, but money is just crass in a situation like this.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 08:01:53 AM »
I would tend to agree.  The money would remind me of the terrible and needless loss of an innocent life.  Not much better than blood money, IMO.  I wouldn't want reminders of that.  Consolation enough that she's at peace now.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 08:17:36 AM »
My beef with the Crimeline is that they offered the reward, but reneged on a technicality. Who knows, the meter reader may feel the same way and donate the reward from the bounty hunter to something worthwhile.  In the end though, it doesn't sound like he was actively searching for the remains.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:33:55 AM »
In the end though, it doesn't sound like he was actively searching for the remains.

No, but he did call the authorities.  That should count for something.  How many people get away with crimes because other people don't call 911?

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:44:06 AM »
No, but he did call the authorities.  That should count for something.  How many people get away with crimes because other people don't call 911?

And WTF?  He was supposed to call Crimeline before calling 911????   :mental:  That's just stupid.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:06:17 AM »

Or worse, how many people get away with crimes even when someone DOES call 911?  Anyone read the case of the college student who called 911, yet police couldn't be bothered to show up for nearly an hour?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:37:59 AM »
Or worse, how many people get away with crimes even when someone DOES call 911?  Anyone read the case of the college student who called 911, yet police couldn't be bothered to show up for nearly an hour?

Didn't that happen here in MN?

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »
Wisconsin, actually--close enough.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 11:52:46 AM »
Wisconsin, actually--close enough.
Eh, they all sound alike.   :-)

:bolt:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.