Author Topic: Grandma cooks a goose, er, duck  (Read 588 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Grandma cooks a goose, er, duck
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x50975

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Fri Dec-05-08 06:59 PM
Original message

Duck eggs.

My husband brought home six large and lovely duck eggs from the guy we bought our chickens from. We'll probably get a few ducks once he hatches out some more, maybe not til spring though. I don't want the trouble and expense of keeping the babies warm through their first winter.

Anyway, I've never eaten a duck egg before. We'll have a couple of them for breakfast but I'm trying to decide what to do with the remaining four. I'm wanting to make a cheesecake this weekend so that's an option. I actually found some of those Famous Wafers to make chocolate crust.

Any other ideas?

TygrBright  (1000+ posts)        Fri Dec-05-08 09:24 PM
Response to Original message

1. They make a lovely souffle or quiche or clafoutis.

They're like hen's eggs but larger. I get some whenever my poultry CSA has them.

They're good for pudding, too.

We use them when we are making half of a recipe that calls for "3 large eggs." One duck egg is the perfect solution for halving such recipes!

I have not tried them in meringue recipes.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Sat Dec-06-08 10:26 AM

3. We each just ate one for breakfast and they were very good. As the other half described them, "Just like a chicken egg, but even more so." That's a good description. Thicker, whiter whites and a nice rich yolk. Everything you like in an egg...only more so. LOL

sazemisery  (1000+ posts)        Sat Dec-06-08 07:16 PM

4. Cakes, darling, cakes!

When we had domestic ducks (20 years ago) the older ladies at the church paid premium price for duck eggs due to the loftiness they imparted upon their cakes.

Okay now, what does "the loftiness they imparted upon their cakes" mean?

Someone's trying to be literary here, and something's lost.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Sun Dec-07-08 04:36 PM
Response to Reply #4

6. I decided to save the rest of them for next weekend and make a cake rather than use them in the cheesecake.

youthere  (1000+ posts)        Sun Dec-07-08 02:07 PM

5. They are incredibly "eggy"...

I don't care for them for eating, but for baking they are terrific.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)      Sun Dec-07-08 04:37 PM
Response to Reply #5

7. I guess that wouldn't be good unless you really like eggs, which we do, thankfully. I am going to use the rest next weekend for a cake. Just haven't decided which kind yet.

Dover  (1000+ posts)      Wed Dec-10-08 09:04 PM

8. "Eggy" sounds good to me. I wonder why duck eggs aren't sold more commercially, like at grocery stores? Sounds like they'd be really popular.

DU AdBot (1000+ posts)      Thu Dec 11th 2008, 09:31 AM

2 Months and 40 Lbs Later
I Dropped 40 Pounds in 2 Months.  Just
Obey This #1 Rule, That's All.
apres moi, le deluge