Author Topic: twix primitive overflowing at work  (Read 784 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
twix primitive overflowing at work
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:05:02 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4628566

Oh my.

I'm not sure, but I think the twix primitive is in lower-level management at a small Target discount store somewhere.

TwixVoy  (488 posts)        Thu Dec-11-08 12:16 AM
Original message

Our stock room is literally OVERFLOWING at work.... too much product coming in no one is buying

Just got a call from our logistics manager at work warning me what a mess I was walking in to tomorrow.

For the past week our stock room has been literally stuffed so full with product there is no longer any room on shelves or the steel to stock it. The sales floor is 100% full. There is no place for it to go. So the backroom is LITERALLY so full of product we are having to stack it on the floor, and it is now no longer possible to even physically get to some places in the stock room because a mountain of boxes is in the path. In my years at this store I have never ever seen anything like this happen before.

Apparently the distribution center pushed us ANOTHER truck full of toys and other product. The distribution centers know we don't need the product, but the company has it and has to get rid of it so the DC has to push it to the stores to get rid of it.

Apparently corporate sent down a message today instructing stores to activate clearance prices IMMEDIATELY on tons of this crap. This is a major surprise because the original plan was NOT to activate clearance prices until after christmas. There is so much product that has to go clearance our price change teams are going to be working overnight to ticket this stuff.

But this is really freaking me out. The system is literally jamming up. The distribution centers have more product going in to them than they can store, so they are pushing it to the stores, and the stores aren't selling it so it is literally getting piled up and sitting in the store backrooms. It is like a septic system backing up.

Hopefully the clearance prices will start to get this stuff to move out the door, but the bad thing is once these clerance prices get activated that means less profit and even taking a loss on this product depending on how far we have to mark it down. This is a very concerning instruction that corporate has given us because it means that sales are NOT AT ALL going according to plan.

Too much plastic junk that no one sees a need to get in to debt for anymore it looks like. I am afraid to see how the market reacts when earnings numbers for this quarter get reported.

You know, when I first moved up here into northeastern Nebraska, and before I could get all settled in, because I needed the money, I unloaded trucks for the dollar stores here.

I'm assuming the twix primitive's company works like dollar stores.

(a) For some reason, the manager of the main warehouse (Kansas City, I think) for one dollar store, whenever he needed more space in his building down there, he simply shipped off dead inventory to the individual stores (the managers of the individual stores did not do the ordering; they just took whatever was sent to them).

There seemed this perception that individual stores had their own enormous warehouses; it was always a mess.  If I were a store manager, I would've just taken a big shovel and scooped entire backrooms of stores into the garbage dumpster.

(b) One could always tell when some buyer was hopping around in the sack with a particular sales(wo)man of one product or another, such as when a really small store would get a shipment of 16,000 bottles of a certain brand of ketchup or 24,000 boxes of a certain brand of laundry detergent.

I've done income taxes for buyers and salesmen for many years; I know how these "deals" are made.

(c) And then there was the matter of merchandise utterly inappropriate for the market, such as when one store got over a thousand ceramic black Santa Clauses.

Now, there's black people up here, but they're only like, maybe, .03 of 1% of the population.  I kept my eyes on those black Santa Clauses; as far as I know, franksolich is the only person in northeastern Nebraska ever to have purchased one.

One imagines the twix primitive thinks of the retail business as an orderly, logical enterprise, when in fact it's nothing more than management of one department or another (buying, warehousing) shoving crap down to the individual stores, and God help the individual store manager if he can't sell what's unsaleable; it's his fault, not theirs. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Mr Mannn

Re: twix primitive overflowing at work
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 04:20:18 AM »
On the other hand, DUmmies lie all the time

My take on the OP is this: Twix is publishing a bouncy that Americans aren't buying this Christmas season because of Bush's evil economic policies--we have no money left. And he's using his own store as the vehicle for the false story.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
My take on the OP is this: Twix is publishing a bouncy that Americans aren't buying this Christmas season because of Bush's evil economic policies--we have no money left. And he's using his own store as the vehicle for the false story.

Yeah, that's exactly the way the bonfire burns.

I was going to post this with that point of view, but as it's an enormous bonfire, and it was the middle of the night, I figured it was way too much to copy-and-paste.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:46:25 AM »
Our stock room is literally OVERFLOWING at work.... too much product coming in no one is buying

I've worked retail and this is complete bull.  Companies don't send product unless the store orders it.  Heck, in this day and age, computers can track every shipment and sale and know exactly what a store has and needs and automatically schedule future shipments.  If no one is buying, then more product will not be sent.  And even if a stock room did get to "overflowing," items can be sent to other stores or back to the company warehouse.

Worst bouncy ever.

Offline claret1995

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:56:13 AM »

To show my appreciation for all the "HUMOR" from the dummy camp of the island. I have added an additional Christmas present this year.

I will be making a MAX donation to the Palin for 2012 campaign.......IN THEIR NAME

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »
I've worked retail and this is complete bull.  Companies don't send product unless the store orders it.  Heck, in this day and age, computers can track every shipment and sale and know exactly what a store has and needs and automatically schedule future shipments.  If no one is buying, then more product will not be sent.  And even if a stock room did get to "overflowing," items can be sent to other stores or back to the company warehouse.

Worst bouncy ever.

Yep, it is called "Just-in-Time Inventory". Its modern day version was pioneered by Wal-Mart. It allows a business to not use floor space for storage and all the utility costs  that come with it. Most "Big Box stores" have implemented it, including, Best Buy.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:03:10 AM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Zeus

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 09:01:45 AM »

Worst bouncy ever.

Actually at times volume stores do receive stock not ordered. When they do get the stock not ordered they can return it for credit or most often get clearance to sell it as a lose leader. The consumer usually gets the item through a buy one of these items get one of these other items free.

They won't receive truckloads of unordered inventory but will get perhaps a pallet or two of an unordered item.

The trucks to the Walmart store here run none stop.On avg of about 8 - 10 trucks per day. Tell me they aren't selling something.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:05:44 AM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline claret1995

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:14:30 AM »

There is one more thought here

TWIXT...Maybe if you and your lib co-workers would bath,use deodorant andget a haircut,customers would start coming back and backlogged inventory would disappear

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:59:38 AM »

There is one more thought here

TWIXT...Maybe if you and your lib co-workers would bath,use deodorant andget a haircut,customers would start coming back and backlogged inventory would disappear

:bow: :lmao: :rotf:  H5!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 05:32:20 PM »
Total bullshit.

Made the "mistake" of going into a Best Buy last Saturday.  Four cashiers, line of people over 40 long waiting to purchase what looked to me to be fairly high ticket items.  I'm standing there with a DVD.

I don't "do" Christmas, as I have no immediate family, but had to visit my former employer the other day (they're a nation wide retail franchise that sell electronics / furniture and everything in between). The parking lot was parked out, and the place was choked with people eager to spend.

No apparent shortage of either shoppers or capital to spend.

It's only going to get more hectic as Christmas approaches.