Author Topic: MPAA Urges Obama to Embrace Internet Filtering  (Read 567 times)

Offline thundley4

MPAA Urges Obama to Embrace Internet Filtering
« on: December 10, 2008, 05:23:32 PM »
The Motion Picture Association of America is urging the incoming Obama administration to adapt internet filtering technology to block illicit file sharing of motion pictures and television shows.
The Hollywood studio lobbying organization, in a position paper posted on Obama's transition website -- change.gov -- writes that a top priority is "the fight against online piracy, including through automated detection and removal of infringing content." The group said it was "imperative to curb the theft of online content."
The paper, (.pdf) posted this week, comes as the incoming 44th president will be charged with nominating the nation's first copyright czar as part of legislation lawmakers approved months ago. The position paper marks the first time the motion picture lobby has publicly confirmed it was pressing the incoming administration to adapt its filtering vision, and it comes shortly after the Federal Communications Commission openly embraced internet filtering.
Toward that goal, the MPAA openly requested filtering information from technology companies. Eleven companies and a university responded, sharing their filtering visions and technology. The companies are: Advestigo, Audible Magic, Auditude, Gracenote, Intellivision, Magix/AudioID, NTT, Philips, Thomson, University of St. Andrew of Scotland, VidyaTel and Vobile, an MPAA spokeswoman said.
Wired

With his Hollywood Liberal donors, it's a given that Obama will support this.  I don't know if anyone here uses P2P networks for downloading, but it seems like this would also prevent someone from emailing a song to a friend. It was bad enough when ComCrap set a 250gig limit on their service, now this.  :censored: :censored:

Offline Airwolf

Re: MPAA Urges Obama to Embrace Internet Filtering
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »
I'm thinking that this should be no but then again they are only interested in sueing old ladies and kids that have no money . Between the RIAA and the MPAA they have yet to give one dime to the artist they claim they are protecting with lawsuits over internet downloads.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"