Author Topic: Worthless Primitive Bitches About Police Recovering His Stolen Car...  (Read 1257 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4604275

JMDEM  (1000+ posts)      Sun Dec-07-08 01:00 PM
Original message
My car was stolen, recovered, and I get hit with the bill
My car was briefly stolen, then recovered the next day in a ditch about 10 miles from my house. It was obvious that someone had just taken it for a "joyride".

I got a call from the police that they had recovered the vehicle, and that it had been towed to an impoundment lot. I could not pick the vehicle up, however, because it was Sunday.

The next day I got the vehicle, and I received a whopping bill -- $185 to tow the car, and $80 for two days of storage, for a $265 bill altogether. The impoundment lot happened to be about 3 miles from where the car was discovered, so that was $165 for a 3 mile tow.

When I went to pick the car up, they refused to release it to me until I paid, and that is when I found out what the bill was. I was outraged, but they all said to calm down -- that insurance would cover it. So I calmed down, got the car and took it home.

The next day I found out from my insurance company that they would NOT cover the charges. Or rather, because I had $250 deductible, that they would cover $15 of it. It wasn't even worth the effort to file the claim. The insurance company added that this happened all the time, and the towing company and the police knew damned well that insurance didn't cover this bill.

The insurance guy said this was a rampant nationwide scam that was set up between the police and local towing companies and that "profits" were often split between the towing companies and either police departments or the cities. He said that only one state -- Missouri -- had a law on the book that required the police to give you the option to use your own towing services (e.g., AAA) to have the car towed to a location of your choice. Some cities also have this law, such as San Francisco. Otherwise, you are screwed.

And yes, I do have AAA. In fact I have dual towing privileges through my insurance company and AAA, but neither would cover the towing part of the bill because I had not requested the tow -- the police had. Apparently they too are aware of this scam and dodge it with the clause that they will only pay when the vehicle owner requests the tow. In these cases, the towing bill is usually much much lower.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: Worthless Primitive Bitches About Police Recovering His Stolen Car...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:31:14 PM »
Fine.

Have it your way, whiny little punk.

Next time the Police can shunt your $500 wreck outta the way, and head back to the station for a well deserved coffee to wait for the local hoods to come back and and have a CarBQ.

What's the bet that should the local police have called and informed the DUmmie where the car was, the DUmmie would do nothing, the car would get stolen again or torched, and they'd be bitching even louder.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »
GI"MDUmb should be happy.  A guy I know had his truck stolen, and the police found it in the local lake. He had to pay the recovery fee which was close to a grand.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 05:59:04 PM »
my truck was stolen, they drove a few blocks, parked in a driveway and stole another. When, 11 months later, I went to pay the registration I was told I couldn't because there was an outstanding parking ticket on the vehicle. When the cops recovered it, they ticketed it.
BTW, when you call a police captain a mother ****er on the phone, a police sergeant knocks on your door with in minutes.
I got the ticked rescinded.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 06:09:43 PM »
This is the biggest crock of  :bs:

Tow companies bid for towing priviledges with municipalities.   The contract calls for a set price for the tow (regardless of the mileage) and storage per day.   If a vehicle is illegally parked then it is getting towed.    The thought of police departments hunting down the owner of vehicles to ascertain which towing company they would like used makes me laugh out loud as it is utter nonsense.

Insurance companies do reimburse for tow and storage -- that is usually paid for by the autobody shop who completes the repairs and is written for in the appraisal.   Apparently this vehicle did not sustain any damage, so the total fee was the cost of towing and storage. 

He picked his deductible, the insurance carrier did not.    His complaints are misdirected. 

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »

BTW, when you call a police captain a mother ****er on the phone, a police sergeant knocks on your door with in minutes.

I lol'd a little  :-)

If they catch the thief, the DUmmie could always sue the perp for damages. Of course, there would be costs involved there, too.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:38:20 PM »
Another DUmmie who doesn't understand the real world. Shocker.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »
Once again, the DUmp monkeys want freedom to mean they don't pay for shit.

Next time this ****er's car gets stolen, I hope the police find it burned out in a landfill.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline djones520

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 06:56:51 PM »
Had the same thing happen to me in High School.  Someone who was supposedly my best friend stole my car, broke into someones house, and got arrested in the act.  My car was impounded, and the police even threatened to slap me with charges as an accessory since I had given the guy the keys so he could get something outta the car.

I had to pay to get my car out of the impound.  What really happened though was I asked my friends dad to cover the bill and he was willing to do so.

Thats how shit works across the whole country.  Deal with it.  Thats what small claims courts are for.  Find out who ganked your car, and sue their as for it if you want the money back that bad.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 07:39:43 PM »
Just a bet that in the most liberal cities the tow fees are the most...just a guess.... no corruption there I'm sure.... or unions..nah. 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »
This is the funniest part to me:

The next day I found out from my insurance company that they would NOT cover the charges. Or rather, because I had $250 deductible, that they would cover $15 of it.

:rotf:
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »
JMDEM  (1000+ posts)      Sun Dec-07-08 01:00 PM
Original message

The next day I got the vehicle, and I received a whopping bill -- $185 to tow the car, and $80 for two days of storage, for a $265 bill altogether. The impoundment lot happened to be about 3 miles from where the car was discovered, so that was $165 for a 3 mile tow.

You think that's bad, wait until you need a new kidney from ObamaCare.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline djones520

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »
$165 for a 3 mile tow isn't bad.  I just paid $80 to tow my car 1 mile.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 08:08:31 AM »
Quote from:
TheCentepedeShoes

2. Kinda makes you wonder who really stole your car.

It's Bush's fault.   :whatever: :mental:

Quote from:
TexasObserver

20. Yes, it is part of the obvious graft and corruption routinely practiced by police in America.

They are working for the towing companies, who are kicking back cash to the police, some known, some under the table. It is an epidemic, and just one more example that the number one group in America to worry about is not criminals, but police. They engage in such petty thievery routinely, and further, think it's their damn right to do so.

This is one of those seedy practices NO POLICE OFFICER ever resists. It's a glorified form of free donuts at Dunkin.

In case someone was wondering why this piece of trash was in my Top 10 DUmmies of 2008 list.....

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.