Author Topic: Who will survive the auto crisis?  (Read 857 times)

Offline Miss Mia

Who will survive the auto crisis?
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:28:39 PM »
Who will survive the auto crisis?
Fiat's Marchionne sees fewer automakers as global car sales collapse

The economic crisis will trigger a big cut in the number of global automakers, Fiat group CEO Sergio Marchionne said.

Marchionne thinks there could be only six survivors in the global volume sector as falling new-car sales and rising financial losses lead to a wave of consolidation in the industry.

"By the time we finish with this in the next 24 months, as far as mass-producers are concerned, we're going to end up with one American house, one German of size; one French-Japanese, maybe with an extension in the US; one in Japan; one in China and one potential European player," Marchionne said.

"The only way for companies to survive is if they make more than

5.5 million cars per year," Marchionne told Automotive News Europe.

At present, only five automakers -- Toyota, General Motors, Volkswagen, Ford Motor and Renault-Nissan -- have that kind of scale.

Marchionne said: "This business is going to be completely different. It cannot continue as it did in the past. Independence in this business is no longer sustainable."

Analysts think bigger companies are likely to be the ones best placed to achieve cost savings and spread the expense of research and development in the future.

This could mean the end of some famous and long-established brands.

-snip-
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
Re: Who will survive the auto crisis?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »
Well, that is the way of the international capitalist economy.  Via con dios, GM and Chrysler.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 06:17:57 PM »
Well, that is the way of the international capitalist economy.  Via con dios, GM and Chrysler.

Marchionne predicts GM making it through. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »
I don't foresee Honda going anywhere. Their products are just too damn good. When people reach a point that they have to have a car last at least 10 years, Honda will have trouble keeping up with demand.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »

Marchionne predicts GM making it through. 

Their reputation for quality..... not likely.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!