Author Topic: Salvation Army Leader May Lose Job Over Forbidden Marriage  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Salvation Army Leader May Lose Job Over Forbidden Marriage
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »
Salvation Army Leader May Lose Job Over Forbidden Marriage

OSHKOSH, Wis. —  The leader of a Wisconsin Salvation Army will lose his job if he goes ahead with plans to marry outside the organization.

Capt. Johnny Harsh of Oshkosh is engaged to a woman who's not affiliated with the Salvation Army. They're planning to marry in June.

Harsh says he's well aware of the agency's rule that says an officer may only marry another officer of the organization. But he doesn't think it's fair.

Salvation Army Advisory Board member Helen Lord Burr says the agency's rules are the same all over the world.

Harsh became engaged after losing his wife, Capt. Yalanda Harsh, to complications of a heart attack last June.

LINK

That just sounds  :mental: .
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
Re: Salvation Army Leader May Lose Job Over Forbidden Marriage
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »
Jiminy Christmas.......sounds like the Mormons. :-)
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:42:14 AM »
Jiminy Christmas.......sounds like the Mormons. :-)

How do you figger?  :confused:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:06:58 PM »
How do you figger?  :confused:
I'm kidding. Generally, though, Mormons won't marry outside of their church.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 01:11:22 PM »
I'm kidding. Generally, though, Mormons won't marry outside of their church.

Generally correct.  Judging by all of the "Part-Member" families I've been around/home taught/served over the years, we're lightyears behind the Salvation Army in ex-communicating folks for marrying outside the sect.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »
Generally correct.  Judging by all of the "Part-Member" families I've been around/home taught/served over the years, we're lightyears behind the Salvation Army in ex-communicating folks for marrying outside the sect.
Although not a Mormon myself, my uncle is a LDS Bishop in Houston. He's pretty adamant that he doesn't want his daughters marrying outside the church.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:59:05 PM »
Although not a Mormon myself, my uncle is a LDS Bishop in Houston. He's pretty adamant that he doesn't want his daughters marrying outside the church.

Given my druthers, my son would marry a nice mormon girl, too.  Just like the jewish families want their kids to marry a nice jewish boy/girl, and the catholic families want... well, you know the drill.

Point though, is that mormon kids fall in love and marry outside the church all the time, in my experience.  I don't know of one though, that has been disinheirited, disavowed, disowned or "dissed" in any other way because of it.