Author Topic: Immigrant Widows Left In Limbo  (Read 416 times)

Offline thundley4

Immigrant Widows Left In Limbo
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »
WTF is wrong with Chertof and homeland security?  They want to actively deport these legal immigrants while letting so many illegals roam free in sanctuary cities?  :banghead:
CBS) Tim was an artist, and their house doubled as his studio. She told Simon her life had never been better, until it all fell apart. "Everything happened so fast. It was, like, we were in our life and then he died of a heart attack. And then he was gone," she says.

And now she's fighting deportation, trying to stay where she and Tim built their life together.

Asked why it's important to her to stay in the house, rather than to return to Germany, Monika tells Simon, "Because it's my home. And it's the place that I was the happiest in my life."

While a foreign spouse can become a U.S. resident, immigration argued in court that a widow is not a spouse, citing Black’s Law Dictionary, which defines spouse as "a married person."

"That rules out widows," said immigration, "because a widow is no longer married." But the federal court in Massachusetts rejected that argument because just a few lines down the same law dictionary defines a surviving spouse as one who outlives the other. So, the court said widows are spouses and are eligible to become U.S. residents.

But immigration is appealing that decision and three other federal court rulings that have all gone against them.
  Link