Author Topic: Fox News' Brit Hume leaving for family, religion  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Fox News' Brit Hume leaving for family, religion
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »

well, damn.  that was my favorite show.

Fox News' Brit Hume leaving for family, religion

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - After 12 years at Fox News Channel and four decades in the news business, Washington managing editor Brit Hume will leave "Special Report" and daily journalism for a quieter life, spending time with his grandchildren and following his Christian faith (the anchor still will contribute to the network as a political analyst).

Hume, 65, talked about the demands of the job and how his succession should be handled.

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: YOU'RE AT THE TOP OF YOUR GAME AT THE TOP-RATED CABLE NEWS CHANNEL AND NEARING THE END OF THE BIGGEST PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN IN RECENT YEARS. WHY LEAVE NOW?

Brit Hume: I think it's time. It's a good idea to go out when you're still doing OK rather than waiting until you're getting old and people stop listening to you. That's part of it. A big part of it is that I have a lot of other things that I want to do. To cite one example, I have a couple of grandchildren that I'm just crazy about. With the job I have now, I really can't go to their plays or games. There's a grandparents' event they have at school. I haven't been able to go. These anchor jobs at cable channels, if you care at all about the content of your program, they're demanding. To try to do a quality program is a lot of work.

THR: YOU'VE TALKED RECENTLY ABOUT HOW YOU'VE LOST A LOT OF YOUR ENTHUSIASM FOR THE JOB. HOW IMPORTANT IS THAT IN JOURNALISM?

Hume: I think it's the indispensable ingredient in TV news, and maybe in news in general. You see someone like Mike Wallace, who went on and on and on to a very advanced age, but he was fine because he never lost his zest for this stuff. The cycles or events didn't seem to tire him out. I feel all the time when I'm covering the news that I've seen this before. That's valuable because it may give you insight into how things are going to go or what they mean. But after awhile, it makes it less interesting. And that's a bad thing. That makes me less valuable, I think.

More

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Fox News' Brit Hume leaving for family, religion
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
Britt Hume is one of the few news anchors that is pretty decent at keeping his personal beliefs/ politics out of his broadcast.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »
NOooo! :bawl:
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 02:32:01 AM »
He announced a long time ago that he was retiring after the elections (they talked about it a bit on election night too).

I just hope they replace him with someone equally experienced.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:08:44 AM »
I would like to see Chris Wallace get the job.

Britt is to me what Walter Cronkite was to my Dad.  Sorry to see him go. :(

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:02:07 AM »
I've always believed that Brit Hume got screwed over at ABC when they promoted Peter Jennings over him, but what the hell do I know?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:58:56 AM »
Brit is my favorite.  I "met" his daughter on a parenting site. Yes I KNOW it was really her.  I've seen pictures of her daughters with Brit several times.  A few others here know her as well.  She gave liberals hell at this site.  Just the mere sight of her screen name would send them into a tizzy.  We need to get her here.  Flame do you still have contact with her?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:16:19 AM by BEG »

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
And the DUmpmonkiees twist into .......  3..............2.........................1............
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »
Brit Hume is a true class act and IMO, the Walter Kronkite of our generation. Sad to see him go. Hopefully they find an equally good replacement, but I doubt it.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Jim

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 06:59:36 AM »
damn... there goes one of the last journalists.  but he deserves his retirement.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.