Author Topic: Where are you from?  (Read 20213 times)

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
Re: Where are you from?
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2008, 12:17:31 AM »
That could be another thread. "What kind of mutt are you"?

Me, German, Scottish, Irish, and Cherokee.  :-)

I was born and raised in North Central Texas(Denison) and I have the same heritage as you Rebel,with a little Norwegian. I'm an Echota Cherokee with a roll number from Alabama.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2008, 12:22:15 AM »
I don't think I posted where I came from earlier in the thread's history.

I feel bad about that.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2008, 12:28:04 AM »
Where might it be FD? So tell us.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2008, 12:32:39 AM »
Where might it be FD? So tell us.
Yes, I am from there.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2008, 07:44:54 AM »
Born in W.Monroe, La, lived in a little town outside of Winnsboro, La(Liddieville), dad was in the AF and we lived all over.  Met my ex in Maine when I was stationed at Pease AFB in NH, moved to Ga after I left the New England area, in 1992.  Live outside of Atlanta in Acworth.
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline Zeus

« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »
I was born and raised in North Central Texas(Denison) and I have the same heritage as you Rebel,with a little Norwegian. I'm an Echota Cherokee with a roll number from Alabama.

Denison isn't Central Texas that's southern Oklahoma  Anything about Dullass/Fort Worthless is a buffer zone :evillaugh:

:tongue:
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »
Denison isn't Central Texas that's southern Oklahoma  Anything about Dullass/Fort Worthless is a buffer zone :evillaugh:

:tongue:

That's gonna git you a BS or two  ;)

:-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »
BTW, I said I was born in Denison, Tx and have returned there to live. What I never said were my travels. I was in Memphis, Tn for about a year, then got stationed in Norfolk, Va for four years. Did the typical Mediterranean cruises for Uncle Sam's Big Grey Boat Club and then went to San Diego for six years. Did the typical West Pacs and a LOT of short cruises to San Clemente Island (next door to Catalina Island). Decided I needed a change of pace and went to Minnesota for recruiting duty. I was there for four years. (Typical tour is three years) Got fed up with the Mother in law and decided to get back to the fleet. Spent my last five years In Norfolk, again. Retired to MN. Lived there for another 13 years. Now, I'm back home in Texas.

For the record, Zeus, anything south of the Red River is TEXAS!!   :hammer:

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zeus

« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »
BTW, I said I was born in Denison, Tx and have returned there to live. What I never said were my travels. I was in Memphis, Tn for about a year, then got stationed in Norfolk, Va for four years. Did the typical Mediterranean cruises for Uncle Sam's Big Grey Boat Club and then went to San Diego for six years. Did the typical West Pacs and a LOT of short cruises to San Clemente Island (next door to Catalina Island). Decided I needed a change of pace and went to Minnesota for recruiting duty. I was there for four years. (Typical tour is three years) Got fed up with the Mother in law and decided to get back to the fleet. Spent my last five years In Norfolk, again. Retired to MN. Lived there for another 13 years. Now, I'm back home in Texas.

You lived in Minnesota long enough to know the Red River runs South to North  :-)
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2008, 02:43:09 PM »

Damn. You're old. :evillaugh:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »
I'm from and still am there, the Soy Bean Capitol of The World, also the original home of the Chicago Bears. (actually born and raised in a small town near there)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #211 on: December 04, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »
Damn. You're old. :evillaugh:

Apparently not as OLD as YOU !!!    :tongue:         :yourpoint:

:owned:

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #212 on: December 04, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »
I've been to Iowa. I wasn't tempted to stay....   :tongue:

Shoeless Joe Jackson: Is this heaven?
Ray Kinsella: No, it's Iowa.
The Movie Field of Dreams

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2008, 06:59:42 PM »
Mock Iowa at your peril. John Wayne was Born here. and we are infamous for  mocking that great Presidentail candidate John Kerry.

Those guys were part of the Iowa National Guard of which I myself was formally a part of until the start of 2003.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:48:32 PM by Airwolf »
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
Born in W.Monroe, La, lived in a little town outside of Winnsboro, La(Liddieville), dad was in the AF and we lived all over.  Met my ex in Maine when I was stationed at Pease AFB in NH, moved to Ga after I left the New England area, in 1992.  Live outside of Atlanta in Acworth.

I lived in Woodstock, GA for a few years and I really miss it. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2008, 08:37:41 PM »
I'm kinda new to this board and don't know many of you well, but I'll jump in on this. (Besides, I know Thor won't pass on an opportunity to lay a BS on me just 'cuz.)  :lmao:

Born in Detroit, raised in the 'burbs of that freakin' hellhole. Escaped to enlist in the Army for 20 years and went to various places like South Carolina, Massachusetts, Virginia, then about 15 years in Germany. Back to Ft. Living Room in Michigan (it's a long story) for a couple of years, Illinois, Tennessee, Salt Lake City, NE Ohio, now here in north-central Missouri.

Probably going to retire permanently in TN. High sales tax, but no income tax, low property tax, and only a few tornadoes to worry about.

Besides, in Jackson, Tenn., you don't have to schlep your garbage cans out to the curb. The garbage guys come up and get 'em from wherever you store 'em, emtpy 'em, then put 'em back.

It's a little thing, but it's important.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: December 04, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »
Probably going to retire permanently in TN. High sales tax, but no income tax, low property tax, and only a few tornadoes to worry about.

Besides, in Jackson, Tenn., you don't have to schlep your garbage cans out to the curb. The garbage guys come up and get 'em from wherever you store 'em, emtpy 'em, then put 'em back.

Jackson is nice.  It's growing, but it's far enough away from everything to be quiet.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2008, 08:47:23 PM »
Jackson is nice.  It's growing, but it's far enough away from everything to be quiet.

Lived there for a year after getting married to Mrs. E. Great little town, worth going back to permanently.

But in the past 9 years, two tornadoes have ripped through the downtown area. What are the odds of THAT happening again?  :p

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »
Lived there for a year after getting married to Mrs. E. Great little town, worth going back to permanently.

But in the past 9 years, two tornadoes have ripped through the downtown area. What are the odds of THAT happening again?  :p

Well....

about the same odds as last time....

:innocent:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2008, 10:03:55 PM »
Well....

about the same odds as last time....

:innocent:

That's about what I figured.

I think I'll take my chances. At least it ain't a forest fire or a mud slide or an earthquake or some other kind of fun......

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2008, 05:28:50 AM »
I'm kinda new to this board and don't know many of you well, but I'll jump in on this. (Besides, I know Thor won't pass on an opportunity to lay a BS on me just 'cuz.)  :lmao:

Born in Detroit, raised in the 'burbs of that freakin' hellhole. Escaped to enlist in the Army for 20 years and went to various places like South Carolina, Massachusetts, Virginia, then about 15 years in Germany. Back to Ft. Living Room in Michigan (it's a long story) for a couple of years, Illinois, Tennessee, Salt Lake City, NE Ohio, now here in north-central Missouri.

Flatlander.  :thatsright:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »
Flatlander.  :thatsright:

My 4 years in Salt Lake City don't count? Those Wasatch Mountains are anything but flat!

Offline debk

« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »

I keep telling you to come over to this part of the state.....we don't have the same kind of tornadoes.  :-)

We do have a symphony and lots of students to teach music......

and this side of the state is Republican.... :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #223 on: December 06, 2008, 09:34:45 AM »

I keep telling you to come over to this part of the state.....we don't have the same kind of tornadoes.  :-)

We do have a symphony and lots of students to teach music......

and this side of the state is Republican.... :-)

Yeah, I know -- and I actually have family that live in Elizabethton - just south of Johnson City, I think.

Just one problem - I think it's too close to Dollywood.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #224 on: December 06, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »
I was born in Michigan City, IN. My family is mostly from here, Peoria IL, but my grandparents were from New York and Connecticut.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin