Author Topic: MSNBC retracts false Palin story; others duped  (Read 1619 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
MSNBC retracts false Palin story; others duped
« on: November 13, 2008, 04:14:34 AM »
Figures . . .

MSNBC retracts false Palin story; others duped

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer David Bauder, Ap Television Writer – Wed Nov 12, 11:33 pm ET

NEW YORK – MSNBC was the victim of a hoax when it reported that an adviser to John McCain had identified himself as the source of an embarrassing story about former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, the network said Wednesday.

David Shuster, an anchor for the cable news network, said on air Monday that Martin Eisenstadt, a McCain policy adviser, had come forth and identified himself as the source of a Fox News Channel story saying Palin had mistakenly believed Africa was a country instead of a continent.

Eisenstadt identifies himself on a blog as a senior fellow at the Harding Institute for Freedom and Democracy. Yet neither he nor the institute exist; each is part of a hoax dreamed up by a filmmaker named Eitan Gorlin and his partner, Dan Mirvish, the New York Times reported Wednesday.

The Eisenstadt claim had mistakenly been delivered to Shuster by a producer and was used in a political discussion Monday afternoon, MSNBC said.

"The story was not properly vetted and should not have made air," said Jeremy Gaines, network spokesman. "We recognized the error almost immediately and ran a correction on air within minutes."

But no one memtioned the retraction . . . until now.  Methinks that the LSM is trying to regain some shred of credibility in the wake of not properly vetting the Big Z.

The rest of the story is at:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081113/ap_en_tv/palin_hoax
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: MSNBC retracts false Palin story; others duped
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »
Figures . . .

But no one memtioned the retraction . . . until now.  Methinks that the LSM is trying to regain some shred of credibility in the wake of not properly vetting the Big Z.

The rest of the story is at:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081113/ap_en_tv/palin_hoax

As I read it, all they are retracting is the story on attribution of the hit piece, not the hit piece itself which now reverts to originating wiht 'An anonymous source.'
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »
In a similar vein, PMSNBC was talking about Palin again this morning. Some idiotic Den strategist was essentially inferring that this last campaign was an Obama vs Palin. There was a total disconnect  about McCain even being in the race!!! I was like....... WTF?!?!?!? Palin WASN'T the Presidential Candidate!!! I was even yelling at the TV!! Dumbass Dems....... :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 09:33:49 AM »
The left must be truly worried about Sarah Palin becoming a force for the conservatives.  There would be no other reason to keep trying to trash her image.  They sure as heck didn't keep slinging mud on the other dems when they dropped out of the primary race.  They sure aren't attacking McCain post election.  That leaves only fear of Sarah for the reason  that they keep doing this  :censored:.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:47:44 AM »
As I read it, all they are retracting is the story on attribution of the hit piece, not the hit piece itself which now reverts to originating wiht 'An anonymous source.'

Even Wikipedia has higher standards than that when it comes to the information it provides.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »
The left must be truly worried about Sarah Palin becoming a force for the conservatives.  There would be no other reason to keep trying to trash her image.  They sure as heck didn't keep slinging mud on the other dems when they dropped out of the primary race.  They sure aren't attacking McCain post election.  That leaves only fear of Sarah for the reason  that they keep doing this  :censored:.

Target.  Reengage . . . H5, BTW.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:13:16 PM »
Anyone that would actually think that Palin didn't know Africa was a continent is a dumbass themselves.  The other trash said at the same time was that she didn't know what countries were involved in NAFTA, and I don't believe that either.  She's not a stupid person.

BTW, Dennis Prager is talking about this right now.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »
Anyone that would actually think that Palin didn't know Africa was a continent is a dumbass themselves.  The other trash said at the same time was that she didn't know what countries were involved in NAFTA, and I don't believe that either.  She's not a stupid person.

BTW, Dennis Prager is talking about this right now.

I love Dennis Prager.  Did you hear him just talk about that 14 year old girl who wore an "Obama Girl" t-shirt one day and a "McCain Girl" t-shirt the another day and the reactions she got?  Very telling. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »
There was no journalism during this election.  If I was in the business I would be ashamed to tell people what I did for a living.  These guys took any 'whisper' of anythng against McCain/Palin and ran with it ..... they never looked back and I lost what little respect I still had for journalism.

On a good note it was great for teaching my kids to take EVERYTHING they read with a grain of salt.  Everytime something came out on Palin we would research it and usually prove it wrong.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »
There was no journalism during this election.  If I was in the business I would be ashamed to tell people what I did for a living.  These guys took any 'whisper' of anythng against McCain/Palin and ran with it ..... they never looked back and I lost what little respect I still had for journalism.

On a good note it was great for teaching my kids to take EVERYTHING they read with a grain of salt.  Everytime something came out on Palin we would research it and usually prove it wrong.

KC

Kind of like what Dan Rather did with Bush's alleged DD214 and "records". It seems as if it's acceptable to LIE about Republicans, but even a major truth about the Dems gets no traction.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 02:34:39 PM »
I love Dennis Prager.  Did you hear him just talk about that 14 year old girl who wore an "Obama Girl" t-shirt one day and a "McCain Girl" t-shirt the another day and the reactions she got?  Very telling. 

Yes I did, and I agree with you.  I'm glad that the university I go to isn't pushing a political viewpoint.  My algebra professor was telling the students how important it is for them to vote and yet, not once did she say who she was voting for.  She actually said "it doesn't matter who, just that you do it."

BTW, I really like Prager and Michael Medved. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."