Author Topic: Treasury Secretary Paulson Says Government Won't Buy Troubled Assets  (Read 877 times)

Offline Scoobie

Treasury Secretary Paulson Says Government Won't Buy Troubled Assets

Ken Sweet
Fox Business

[excerpt]

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said Wednesday that original plan to purchase distressed mortgage assets from Wall Street firms is not the best use of the $700 billion financial rescue package, and officials will now focus on direct capital injections into the struggling financial firms.

This comes after Paulson said buying troubled assets -- the plan originally advertised to the public -- would take too much time in a financial crisis that continues to test the patience of investors, government and the public.

In his statement, Paulson said that nonbank financial institutions, including companies that deal with credit cards, auto loans and student loans, may be eligible for direct capital injections. Companies such as American Express (AXP: 20.53, -1.87, -8.34%), which is one of the country's largest credit card companies, is reportedly seeking $3.5 billion in fresh capital from the government, according to The Wall Street Journal.

“I determined that the most timely, effective step to improve credit market conditions was to strengthen bank balance sheets quickly through direct purchases of equity in banks,” Paulson said.

The remarks were made in a press conference scheduled to update the public and Wall Street on the progress the bailout plan.

Paulson said that the original TARP program, which was crafted in consultation with Congress to purchase troubled assets directly from banks, did not address the financial crisis with the immediacy needed.

“It was clear to me by the time the bill was signed … we needed to act quickly and forcefully, and that purchasing troubled assets -- our initial focus -- would take time to implement and would not be sufficient given the severity of the problem,” Paulson said.

<snip>

Link

Oh FFS!! Does anyone speak the friggin' truth anymore about what the hell is going on???   :banghead: :censored: :banghead: :censored:
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Treasury Secretary Paulson Says Government Won't Buy Troubled Assets
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:09:09 AM »
No, they don't.

AMEX won't let me defer charges anymore (even though I have a zero balance) but they've got their ****ing hands out. 

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the definition of "chutzpah".
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
Re: Treasury Secretary Paulson Says Government Won't Buy Troubled Assets
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 10:37:15 PM »
the goal here is the purchase of equity by the government into large portions of the largest corporations.  During Lenins time, this was referred to as controlling the commanding heights of the economy.

One interesting bit of equity purchasing discussed is the purchase of shares in news organizations.  Free press anyone?
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.