Author Topic: LR.com: The Dangerous Sarah Palin  (Read 2085 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
LR.com: The Dangerous Sarah Palin
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:01:38 AM »
I know. I know. This forum is for DU, but when confronting the insanity that is lewrockwell.com it is best to keep things contained.

The dangerous Sarah Palin
Posted by Ryan W. McMaken at November 9, 2008 10:36 PM

While John McCain is technically the head of the GOP as its most recent presidential nominee, McCain really only leads the "moderate" wing, while the party is divided primarily into two factions: McCain's moderate wing (which supports massive government and doesn't care about religious issues) and Palin's right wing (which supports massive government and is obsessed with religious issues). There is no small-government wing save the much maligned libertarian wing led by (who else?) Ron Paul.

McCain is old news, so Palin stands to become dominant in her role of head of the right-wing faction which is probably more numerous than the centrist wing. This means come 2012, Palin will indeed be seen as the de facto leader of the party and especially as the leader of the religious right/culture warrior faction of the party.

Palin will become the leader of the American right-wing. Unless she has a major change of heart, Palin will stand for war, nationalism, the religious right, domestic spying, and massive government of every kind. Her followers will worshipfully follow her anywhere because they see her as the annointed middle-American savior who will lead the GOP to victory against the hordes of urban non-whites, immigrants, Ivory Tower America-haters, and atheists.

She will be re-elected in 2010 as governor, and in 2012 will emerge as the front runner from the right-wing of the party.

Palin will fully employ her country-girl schtick and will rely on active support from evangelicals, rural Republicans, and pro-war factions of the party.

In short, it will resemble the primary of 2000 when George Bush emerged using a country-boy schtick and seized control of the right wing of the party.

In many ways Palin is just George W. Bush without the blue blood, and she will build a very similar coalition. Like Bush she will have lots of clever slogans like Compassionate Conservatism, but virtually nothing will be heard about actually reducing the size of government except as a mantra to discredit "tax and spend liberals." Like Bush, she will choose a Cheney-like running mate to provide "gravitas."

The Palin movement will reject any serious suggestion that the size of government should be truly cut. There will always be new wars to wage, new votes to buy, and new people to imprison.

Palinism will essentially be a re-tread of Bush-ism, and just as in 2000, people who want smaller government will flock to her thinking she is somehow better than the alternative.

Amazingly, many wil be fooled, forgetting that 12 years earlier, they had all voted for a "small-government" candidate who gave us 8 years of the most expansive government since the New Deal."
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/023907.html

Let's see if I get this right:

country-hickism + christianity = Bush-like non-conservative? Not 1 mention of her actual record just a buch of half-baked analogies.

Am I reading this right?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: LR.com: The Dangerous Sarah Palin
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:51:56 AM »
Yup you are reading it right. Also, exchange Palin with Obama and left for right......................what do you get?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:09:22 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:52:41 AM »
Yep...and these people vote.
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:31:13 AM »
hordes of urban non-whites, immigrants, Ivory Tower America-haters, and atheists.

The guy is obviously a nut, but he does, at least, accurately describe the base of the democrat party.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 06:09:52 PM »
There is no point looking at what Palin has actually done when you can easily write a hit piece without any truth...and have the "hordes of urban non-whites, immigrants, Ivory Tower America-haters, and atheists" all love you for it.  Truth is a non-issue with many of these people.  After all, "Your truth is not My truth."   ::) ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 07:09:09 PM »
Fine, let'em suck on the dong of Obama.  :censored:

**** Lew Rockwell.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:09:27 AM »
Fine, let'em suck on the dong of Obama.  :censored:

**** Lew Rockwell.

:rotf: H5
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 08:35:21 AM »
The Lew Rockwell mouth-breathers are the same 2-3 percent (or less) people the GOP is trying to draw in with their "big tent" policies, and then they can't figure out why the base keeps staying home.  I swear, I've so little use for libertarians (big or little "L") it's stunning that I haven't just gone off completely on the first one to admit it to me.

In the last two years, I've been banned from two websites, had my job threatened, had people threaten to call the police on me, all because I DARED to call bullshit on them for their naive beliefs.

Some people just can't take a little criticism, I guess.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline EastFacingNorth

• Math Geek
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 03:53:39 PM »
The Lew Rockwell mouth-breathers are the same 2-3 percent (or less) people the GOP is trying to draw in with their "big tent" policies, and then they can't figure out why the base keeps staying home.  I swear, I've so little use for libertarians (big or little "L") it's stunning that I haven't just gone off completely on the first one to admit it to me.

In the last two years, I've been banned from two websites, had my job threatened, had people threaten to call the police on me, all because I DARED to call bullshit on them for their naive beliefs.

Some people just can't take a little criticism, I guess.

Okay, well, I'm a "little-L" libertarian.

Fire away.
Taxation if and only if Representation.

The Founding Fathers only got it half right.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 03:58:16 PM »
And I believe I fall into the "little L" libertarian category too, Sparky.

Be gentle.  It's my first time.   :-) :rotf: :tongue:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »
I like Sarah. Sarah makes me smile. We need her . :cheersmate:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 04:18:02 PM »
I agree with the OP, in that Sarah Palin is very dangerous to them.  She will be back.  I actually thought of buying some domain names for her, connected to my state.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 05:58:46 PM »
MichaEL Steele has anounced that he wants tto be head of the Republican Party. Palin and he will be very effective together.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 08:29:27 PM »
And I believe I fall into the "little L" libertarian category too, Sparky.

Be gentle.  It's my first time.   

**** gentle.  Here it goes.  East, you pay attention too.

While it would be overly simplistic to paint libertarians as anarchists because of their favor of minimal government, it's certainly no stretch to say that many want the government so minimal as to be ineffective when needed.  Then again, how can one paint libertarians when even THEY cannot define what they are and what they are not?

To go further, sure, it might be a great political philosophy--when you're 15.  Those of us who live in the real world understand that some government, while it can be a pain in the ass, is necessary.  Allow me to expand.

One of the big tenets of libertarians is the contract, be it legal, commercial, or social.  If we were to simply disregard it on the basis of arguing that I never signed a contract--what about the Constitution?  Is that not an implied contract between government and its citzens?  If I have a land dispute with a neighbor, what REALLY makes it your property?  Were there conditions on its use?  Easements?  That is property as recognized by other parties, but ultimately rests with the government.  If you have disputes with other parties, you have legal redress.  But if the government is so weak as to be ineffective, then is that contract really worth anything?

Bottom line--the Constitution, which libertarians love to recite word-for-word literally much like an evangelican Christian reads (but does not interpret, for interpretation cannot exist in the literal word of God), is also a contract, but is only as strong as the government on one side and the people on the other.  When one becomes significantly more powerful than the other, then the equation is thrown out of balance and neither is effective.  Libertarians would render the people (read: the individual, not the whole) primary, with no consideration of others.

What we have seen over the course of our history is not simply an expansion of federal powers, but in many cases a transferral of power between the states and federal authority.  Many of the libertarian ideals for free-market societies have been analyzed, and rejected, nearly a century ago as unworkable and poisonous to the economy.  Taxation, whether on a federal or state level, has always existed.  Personal freedom has ALWAYS had limits.  I could go on and on.

I leave you with a quote from Judge Learned Hand: "And what is this liberty which must lie in the hearts of men and women? It is not the ruthless, the unbridled will; it is not freedom to do as one likes. That is the denial of liberty, and leads straight to its overthrow. A society in which men recognize no check upon their freedom soon becomes a society where freedom is the possession of only a savage few; as we have learned to our sorrow."

A simple example, but I can come up with many others if you have the time.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

While it would be overly simplistic to paint libertarians as anarchists because of their favor of minimal government, it's certainly no stretch to say that many want the government so minimal as to be ineffective when needed.  Then again, how can one paint libertarians when even THEY cannot define what they are and what they are not?

To go further, sure, it might be a great political philosophy--when you're 15.  Those of us who live in the real world understand that some government, while it can be a pain in the ass, is necessary.  Allow me to expand.

One of the big tenets of libertarians is the contract, be it legal, commercial, or social.  If we were to simply disregard it on the basis of arguing that I never signed a contract--what about the Constitution?  Is that not an implied contract between government and its citzens?  If I have a land dispute with a neighbor, what REALLY makes it your property?  Were there conditions on its use?  Easements?  That is property as recognized by other parties, but ultimately rests with the government.  If you have disputes with other parties, you have legal redress.  But if the government is so weak as to be ineffective, then is that contract really worth anything?

Bottom line--the Constitution, which libertarians love to recite word-for-word literally much like an evangelican Christian reads (but does not interpret, for interpretation cannot exist in the literal word of God), is also a contract, but is only as strong as the government on one side and the people on the other.  When one becomes significantly more powerful than the other, then the equation is thrown out of balance and neither is effective.  Libertarians would render the people (read: the individual, not the whole) primary, with no consideration of others.

What we have seen over the course of our history is not simply an expansion of federal powers, but in many cases a transferral of power between the states and federal authority.  Many of the libertarian ideals for free-market societies have been analyzed, and rejected, nearly a century ago as unworkable and poisonous to the economy.  Taxation, whether on a federal or state level, has always existed.  Personal freedom has ALWAYS had limits.  I could go on and on.

I leave you with a quote from Judge Learned Hand: "And what is this liberty which must lie in the hearts of men and women? It is not the ruthless, the unbridled will; it is not freedom to do as one likes. That is the denial of liberty, and leads straight to its overthrow. A society in which men recognize no check upon their freedom soon becomes a society where freedom is the possession of only a savage few; as we have learned to our sorrow."

Damn skippy, that is going to leave a mark. 

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 11:29:44 PM »

WHAT YOU SAID Bubba!!!!!

H5
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!