Author Topic: Secret Order Lets U.S. Raid Al Qaeda in Many Countries  (Read 1004 times)

Offline formerlurker

Secret Order Lets U.S. Raid Al Qaeda in Many Countries
« on: November 10, 2008, 02:57:09 AM »
Secret Order Lets U.S. Raid Al Qaeda in Many Countries
By ERIC SCHMITT and MARK MAZZETTI
WASHINGTON — The United States military since 2004 has used broad, secret authority to carry out nearly a dozen previously undisclosed attacks against Al Qaeda and other militants in Syria, Pakistan and elsewhere, according to senior American officials.

These military raids, typically carried out by Special Operations forces, were authorized by a classified order that Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld signed in the spring of 2004 with the approval of President Bush, the officials said. The secret order gave the military new authority to attack the Qaeda terrorist network anywhere in the world, and a more sweeping mandate to conduct operations in countries not at war with the United States.

In 2006, for example, a Navy Seal team raided a suspected militants’ compound in the Bajaur region of Pakistan, according to a former top official of the Central Intelligence Agency. Officials watched the entire mission — captured by the video camera of a remotely piloted Predator aircraft — in real time in the C.I.A.’s Counterterrorist Center at the agency’s headquarters in Virginia 7,000 miles away.

Some of the military missions have been conducted in close coordination with the C.I.A., according to senior American officials, who said that in others, like the Special Operations raid in Syria on Oct. 26 of this year, the military commandos acted in support of C.I.A.-directed operations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/washington/10military.html?_r=1&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

Please don't tell anyone though cause it's a secret.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Re: Secret Order Lets U.S. Raid Al Qaeda in Many Countries
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:55:51 AM »
 :thatsright:

WTF is wrong with people
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:09:22 AM »
What the hell??? How does the Slimes do this with a straight face?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:47:56 AM »
I should hope so.

It is what the 9/18/2001 AUMF was all about.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."