Author Topic: Some good news from Commiefornia: California voters approve gay-marriage ban  (Read 2176 times)

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
California voters approve gay-marriage ban

LOS ANGELES – Voters put a stop to same-sex marriage in California, dealing a crushing defeat to gay-rights activists in a state they hoped would be a vanguard and putting in doubt as many as 18,000 same-sex marriages conducted since a court ruling made them legal this year.

The gay-rights movement had a rough election elsewhere as well Tuesday. Amendments to ban gay marriage were approved in Arizona and Florida, and Arkansas voters approved a measure banning unmarried couples from serving as adoptive or foster parents. Supporters made clear that gays and lesbians were their main target.

But California, the nation's most populous state, had been the big prize. Spending for and against Proposition 8 reached $74 million, the most expensive social-issues campaign in U.S. history and the most expensive campaign this year outside the race for the White House. Activists on both sides of the issue saw the measure as critical to building momentum for their causes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_on_el_st_lo/ballot_measures

Yer welcome!  :-)

Offline whiffleball

What!  Call me surprised.

Offline thundley4

More good news from CaliFruitopia.
Californians by very wide margins defeated two green initiatives that anthropogenic global warming enthusiasts in the media and in legislative houses across the fruited plain should take heed...but will they?

To begin with, Proposition 7 would have required utilities to generate 40 percent of their power from renewable energy by 2020 and 50 percent by 2025.

Proposition 10 would have created $5 billion in general obligation bonds to help consumers and others purchase certain high fuel economy or alternative fuel vehicles, and to fund research into alternative fuel technology.

Much to the likely chagrin of Nobel Laureate Al Gore and his global warming sycophants in the media, these measures went down, and went down in flames:

Proposition 7 Renewable Energy Generation
Yes 3,294,158 35.1%
No  6,102,907 64.9%
Proposition 10 Alternative Fuel Vehicles
Yes 3,742,997 40.1%
No  5,581,303 59.9%
Will global warming-obsessed media share this news with the citizenry? Shouldn't this be HUGE news given President-elect Obama's green sympathies and his desire to enact a carbon cap and trade scheme to reduce carbon dioxide emissions?

We'll see.
Newsbusters

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
But did anybody notice the returns on that ballot initiative in California to force farmers to pamper livestock?

Two things:

(a) California's going to not produce nearly as much food as it presently does.

(b) higher grocery prices.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
But did anybody notice the returns on that ballot initiative in California to force farmers to pamper livestock?

Two things:

Yep -- no one ever said most people in California are smart.  I think they stumbled into voting for Prop 8.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty

Two things:

Ya  that's the stupity of my fellow Californians. They also voted down the abortion notification, but approved the above. Makes sense, right?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

Heh, kinda puts a dent in 'ol Barry-0's mandate.  Seems like most black folks voted for him based on his skin color and not on his social ideals.  One wonders how far he would have gotten if he had claimed to be white, since he's half white and half black.
 :fuelfire:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jendf

My home state of Arizona as well as Florida also passed their marriage propositions. Silver linings...

Offline Chris_

My home state of Arizona as well as Florida also passed their marriage propositions. Silver linings...
I believe Arkansas did as well.

Offline jendf

I believe Arkansas did as well.

What's funny is, my liberal friends are more upset with the failure of the marriage amendments than they are happy with Obama's election. They really do find ways to remain unhappy all of the time. It's truly amazing!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
What's funny is, my liberal friends are more upset with the failure of the marriage amendments than they are happy with Obama's election. They really do find ways to remain unhappy all of the time. It's truly amazing!

I noticed that too. The euphoria is wearing off.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Jim

right or wrong people voted BHO because of the financial deal or because he's black.  not because they like liberal crap.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
They voted for the Big Zero because,
1. He's black.
2. He's going to "pay" for all the "stuff" they need.
Nevermind the "how".

****ing idiots. :bird:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.