Author Topic: 2 arrested for hanging Obama effigy on Ky. campus  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
2 arrested for hanging Obama effigy on Ky. campus
« on: October 31, 2008, 07:56:03 AM »
2 arrested for hanging Obama effigy on Ky. campus

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- A University of Kentucky student and another man were arrested Thursday, accused of hanging a life-sized likeness of Barack Obama from a tree on the campus.

The incident was one of several in recent weeks involving effigies of the presidential candidates or their running mates. No charges have been filed in four other cases that have made national headlines.

UK Interim Police Chief Joe Monroe said the men "expressed remorse for a stunt that had gotten out of hand."

Arrested were Joe Fischer, 22, a UK student, and Hunter Bush, 21, both of Lexington. Both were being held at Fayette County Detention Center on charges of disorderly conduct related to the hanging of the effigy. They were also charged with burglary and theft at a fraternity house where police said the materials came from.

*snip*

"As outrageous and offensive an act as the effigy was, I truly believe it has mobilized our campus, the community and the state in an effort to battle racism," Todd said Thursday

Yup.  Hanging an effigy of a white Christain woman is okay, but hang a black (possibly muslim) man, and you're a racist.   :argh: :maddernhell:

MORE
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: 2 arrested for hanging Obama effigy on Ky. campus
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:58:51 AM »
Okay now, how about those other four cases?

Are they going to be prosecuted?

Like that gay couple out in Hollywood, with their depiction of Sarah Palin being lynched?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Fair play, even-handed distribution of justice.

Or am I hoping for too much?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:01:48 AM »

Are they going to be prosecuted?

Like that gay couple out in Hollywood, with their depiction of Sarah Palin being lynched?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Fair play, even-handed distribution of justice.

I think your last question is actually the answer to it.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:17:54 AM »

Yep.  I'd say they are in a lot more trouble on the burglary charge (as serious felony) than on the disorderly conduct charge (a misdemeanor, in most places a minor one), though.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »
I'll go with the burglary charge. That's acceptable. However, the police are walking ALL over those student's 1st Amendment rights with the disorderly conduct charge. We won't even get into the "fairness" of the other four. If a person(s) can hang Palin in effigy and depict McCain as a "satan" ( or whatever their intention was), then why can't a person hang Obama or Biden in effigy ?? After all, that's what the 1st Amendment is all about, isn't it?? There's nothing about political correctness or taste in the 1st Amendment.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline djones520

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »
I'll go with the burglary charge. That's acceptable. However, the police are walking ALL over those student's 1st Amendment rights with the disorderly conduct charge. We won't even get into the "fairness" of the other four. If a person(s) can hang Palin in effigy and depict McCain as a "satan" ( or whatever their intention was), then why can't a person hang Obama or Biden in effigy ?? After all, that's what the 1st Amendment is all about, isn't it?? There's nothing about political correctness or taste in the 1st Amendment.

If it's legal to burn the American Flag, then damnit it out to be legal to do what they did.  Maybe a visit from the Secret Service to ensure that there is nothing going on beyond an act of speech, but criminal prosecution is just a clear violation of their rights.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 09:43:20 AM »
Frank, I don't know if you've seen this or not, but watch the entire series (Indoctrinate U, I hope it's CC'd) It explains quite well why the other cases won't raise an eyebrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJuQQcXKLWM
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »
I can understand the burglary and theft charges at a frat house, but why the Obama effigy. There is the Palin hanging effigy in LA and that person will likely have Secret Service at the door.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »
I have more of a problem with the way he's been elected in effigy.

Offline Jim

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »

it aint no hate crime if its a rethuglican...
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »

It's Halloween. Those students should say they were putting together a Halloween display. Worked for those Palin hanging people in LA.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 02:48:08 PM »
Selective enforcement of the law basd on race = racism
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 11:44:19 AM »
Not surprised at all.   :censored:

Folks, just wait to see what will be tolerated and what will not be if the Obamessiah gets elected.  Racist blacks will try their all to see those days of slavery be reversed and "whitey's" will be riding in the back of the bus.....Okay,that's a stretch...but so was this case.