Author Topic: Poll update: Voters having 'buyer's remorse'?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Poll update: Voters having 'buyer's remorse'?
« on: October 30, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »

(CNN) – With five days until Election Day, there are signs the presidential race may be tightening, according to a new CNN poll of polls.

According to an average of several recent surveys, Barack Obama's lead over John McCain is down to 5 points nationwide, 49-44 percent — a gap that is 3 points less than it was earlier this week, and nearly half what the margin was one week ago.

The closing of polls late in a presidential race is not unusual: Sen. John Kerry lost his 2004 White House bid despite holding a slim lead over President Bush in its final days. Then-Vice President Al Gore trailed Bush by 5 points in early November before the two essentially split the vote days later.

“It’s possible that McCain will continue to close the gap over the final few days of the campaign,” said CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. “Presidential elections often tighten up at the end, especially if there’s not an incumbent on the ballot. Voters sometimes experience a degree of ‘buyer’s remorse’ before settling on a new president."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/30/poll-update-race-may-be-tightening/

Buyer's remorse comes after the purchase surely? Unless they mean the MSM is having buyer's remorse.  :uhsure:

Offline Mr Mannn

Re: Poll update: Voters having 'buyer's remorse'?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:19:42 PM »
I don't think its anything like buyer's remorse.

The pollsters deliberately gave false numbers, and now that its almost election time they have to get closer to the truth: or lose credibility in the future.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »
It's going to be very awkward for me if McCain wins.

Having to go to church will be an alien experience.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:06 PM »
I don't think its anything like buyer's remorse.

The pollsters deliberately gave false numbers, and now that its almost election time they have to get closer to the truth: or lose credibility in the future.

Some have even quit trying to be objective.  Survey USA put out a poll today that showed Obama up by 15 in Iowa, and despite nearly equal percentages of registered Dems and Republicans in 2004, shows an oversampling of Democrats by 16 percent (45-29, versus actual voting turnout of 36-34 in favor of Republicans).

In New Hampshire, a UNH poll shows Obama up by 16, 55-39, but the poll is a running average of 100 respondents per day in each of NH's 2 congressional districts using only phone calls during the daytime, and does not reveal party affiliation.  In reality, the race is much closer, given the fact that all four of the Pres/VP candidates have been here within the past month, most recently two weeks ago when Obama, Biden, and Palin were all here within the space of a week.  Bill Clinton is scheduled to make stops in Rochester, Nashua, and Manchester on Sunday.

There is a LOT the polls, media, and campaigns aren't telling you.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:49:04 PM »

You'll get used to it.

You're welcome to come to my church if you want...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:50 PM »

You will be completely comfortable at my church:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.