Author Topic: Senator Stevens................Guilty  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Senator Stevens................Guilty
« on: October 27, 2008, 03:03:03 PM »
Thanks Ted :bird:

Sen. Ted Stevens Found Guilty on All Counts in Federal Corruption Case
Monday, October 27, 2008

WASHINGTON —  Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens has been convicted of lying about free home renovations and other gifts he received from a wealthy oil contractor.

The Senate's longest-serving Republican, Stevens was found guilty on all seven counts of making false statements on Senate financial documents.

The verdict throws the upcoming election into disarray. Stevens is fighting off a challenge from Democrat Mark Begich and must now either drop out or continue campaigning as a convicted felon.

The trial hinged on the testimony of Stevens' longtime friend, who testified that his employees dramatically remodeled the senator's home.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,444257,00.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:12:17 PM by Crazy Horse »
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Senator Stevens................Guilty
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »
douchebag! :banghead:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »
Ah yes, the October Surprise.  And William Jefferson will go on trial when?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 05:57:11 PM »
Ah yes, the October Surprise.  And William Jefferson will go on trial when?

He will be pardoned on Jan 23rd
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »
He will be pardoned on Jan 23rd
Along with jack murtha and john f'ing kerry (who, BTW, was in Vietnam).

And TiT for his stolen valor, probably.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 06:32:19 PM »
Hang the bastard!
He broke the law and his pledge to this nation. Unlike the Democrat scum, I could care less about party affiliation. Additionally, his ****up and crimes could NOT have come at a worse time in this nation's history and for the Republican party.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »
"I am obviously disappointed in the verdict but not surprised given the repeated instances of prosecutorial misconduct in this case," he said. "Exculpatory evidence was hidden from my lawyers. A witness was kept from us and then sent back to Alaska. The government lawyers allowed evidence to be introduced that they knew was false. I will fight this unjust verdict with every ounce of energy I have.

You know, he may be being railroaded.  I heard enough about the trial on NPR to know that these things are absolutely true.  It was even reported that the judge castigated the prosecution for using evidence that was obviously false...but he didn't do it in front of the jury.  The prosecution had bills for work done by a man who not only didn't do the work, but testified he was actually out of the state at the time...yet it was introduced as evidence. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »
he might win on appeal, but by then the damage will be done.

OTOH, "Uncle Ted" might still be able to keep his seat, given his popularity in alaska, and the sitting governor is one who will make a good appointment for his replacement if needed

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »
I mean, this almost reminds me of 1992...Cap Weinberger being indicted a week before the election, effectively killing any chance Bush 41 had to win.  Am I reading too much into this, or will the DemocratMSM play this up too?

Oh, who the hell am I kidding?  It's probably lead story on Olbertard's show tonight.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 07:11:13 AM »
he might win on appeal, but by then the damage will be done.

OTOH, "Uncle Ted" might still be able to keep his seat, given his popularity in alaska, and the sitting governor is one who will make a good appointment for his replacement if needed

If McCain/Palin doesn't win , can she appoint herself to his vacant seat?  I have no idea about the Alaskan law for this.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »
If McCain/Palin doesn't win , can she appoint herself to his vacant seat?  I have no idea about the Alaskan law for this.

I believe alaska law requires a special election.  but I assume he's just going to lose.  that's a real kick in the shorts.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 06:03:18 PM »
alaska law does not require a special election... both of the current senators (stevens and murkowski) were appointed to begin their careers there.

Lisa Murkowski was appointed by her father when he was elected governor, and won reelection against tony knowles in 2004... the ads against her for nepotism were brutal, and possibly apt.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 10:49:39 PM »
alaska law does not require a special election... both of the current senators (stevens and murkowski) were appointed to begin their careers there.

Lisa Murkowski was appointed by her father when he was elected governor, and won reelection against tony knowles in 2004... the ads against her for nepotism were brutal, and possibly apt.

the law was changed in 2004, exactly because of that situation.  alaska law does call for a special election, but the exact method is undefined, and will probably be left up to the alaska supreme court.  I googled this question earlier this afternoon, and I thought it sounded confusing, but didn't have a lot of time to explore why at the time. it's pretty interesting:

If Stevens were to resign from his seat or be expelled, how would a replacement be chosen?

Nobody can say for sure.

That's because Alaska's law on senatorial succession was changed twice in 2004 -- once by the Legislature, and once by ballot initiative. Both laws call for a special election within 60 to 90 days of the vacancy. But they disagree on whether the governor appoints an interim senator in the meantime.

The Alaska Supreme Court would ultimately have to decide which law the state follows.

More

Offline Lauri

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
You know, he may be being railroaded.  I heard enough about the trial on NPR to know that these things are absolutely true.  It was even reported that the judge castigated the prosecution for using evidence that was obviously false...but he didn't do it in front of the jury.  The prosecution had bills for work done by a man who not only didn't do the work, but testified he was actually out of the state at the time...yet it was introduced as evidence. 

my best friend is from alaska.. and her parents still live there and have followed this closely and they say they are shocked by what is happening. just remember how hard the Dems are campaigning to have a sealed up Senate and House - they are going after as many seats as they can, and any state where they have friendly judges is where they are going to unseat the GOP.

its probably happening in more places than we realize, but with the election its just not making the news.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 03:10:32 PM »
my best friend is from alaska.. and her parents still live there and have followed this closely and they say they are shocked by what is happening. just remember how hard the Dems are campaigning to have a sealed up Senate and House - they are going after as many seats as they can, and any state where they have friendly judges is where they are going to unseat the GOP.

its probably happening in more places than we realize, but with the election its just not making the news.

thank God that George Bush fired all of those federal attorneys, and the DoJ is so stacked in our favor.  :uhsure: :-)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 07:24:27 PM »
thank God that George Bush fired all of those federal attorneys, and the DoJ is so stacked in our favor.  :uhsure: :-)

oh yeah, we have SO many of them on our side...you betcha!