Author Topic: Dave Barry's Worst Songs Of All Time!  (Read 1914 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Dave Barry's Worst Songs Of All Time!
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:39:29 PM »

To accompany the-artist-formerly-known-as-Schade's thread here's a classic from Dave Barry.
I hope you haven't had anything to eat recently, because, as promised last week, today I am presenting the winners of the Bad Song Survey.

In analyzing these results, I had to make a few adjustments. For example, the Bob Dylan song Lay Lady Lay would have easily won as Worst Overall Song, with 17,006 votes, except that I had to disallow 17, 004 votes on the grounds that they were cast by my Research Department, Judi Smith, who tabulated the votes, and who HATES Lay Lady Lay.

...But now for our survey results. Without question, the voters' choice for Worst Song -- in both the Worst Overall AND Worst Lyrics category -- is ... (drum roll ...)

MacArthur Park, as sung by Richard Harris, and later remade, for no comprehensible reason, by Donna Summer. It's hard to argue with this selection. My 12-year-old son, Rob, was going through a pile of ballots, and he asked me how MacArthur Park goes, so I sang it, giving it my best shot, and Rob laughed so hard that when I got to the part about leaving the cake out in the rain, and it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe again, Rob was on the floor. He didn't BELIEVE those lyrics were real. He was SURE his wacky old humor-columnist dad was making them up.
check out the rest here

Offline Schadenfreude

Re: Dave Barry's Worst Songs Of All Time!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »
MacArthur Park .....

The song is named after MacArthur Park, a park in Los Angeles, California. Its lyrics, which include the memorable line "Someone left the cake out in the rain", are more symbolic than descriptive, beginning as a poem about love, then moving into a lover's lament.

Ah... ok, I get it now.  :confused:

:lmao:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Dave Barry's Worst Songs Of All Time!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »
MacArthur Park .....

The song is named after MacArthur Park, a park in Los Angeles, California. Its lyrics, which include the memorable line "Someone left the cake out in the rain", are more symbolic than descriptive, beginning as a poem about love, then moving into a lover's lament.

Ah... ok, I get it now.  :confused:

:lmao:

I get it.  I always have.  The lyrics being symbolic are not all that strange - just weird.  You should weep for the recipe he will never have again.  A love-cake ruined, never to be baked again.

I'm a poet at heart, so I suppose I can understand things mere mortals are left to ponder.