Author Topic: Ken Adelman Endorses Obama (THIS is bigger than Powell)  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Ken Adelman Endorses Obama (THIS is bigger than Powell)
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:55:58 PM »

this is a much, MUCH, MUCH bigger deal than powell, because adelman is a bona fide conservative . . . . this is from a column in the
blog section of the new yorker. 

Adelman and I exchanged e-mails today about his decision. He asked rhetorically,

Why so, since my views align a lot more with McCain’s than with Obama’s? And since I truly dread the notion of a Democratic president, Democratic House, and hugely Democratic Senate?

Primarily for two reasons, those of temperament and of judgment.

When the economic crisis broke, I found John McCain bouncing all over the place. In those first few crisis days, he was impetuous, inconsistent, and imprudent; ending up just plain weird. Having worked with Ronald Reagan for seven years, and been with him in his critical three summits with Gorbachev, I’ve concluded that that’s no way a president can act under pressure.

Second is judgment. The most important decision John McCain made in his long campaign was deciding on a running mate.

That decision showed appalling lack of judgment. Not only is Sarah Palin not close to being acceptable in high office—I would not have hired her for even a mid-level post in the arms-control agency. But that selection contradicted McCain’s main two, and best two, themes for his campaign—Country First, and experience counts. Neither can he credibly claim, post-Palin pick.

I sure hope Obama is more open, centrist, sensible—dare I say, Clintonesque—than his liberal record indicates, than his cooperation with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid portends. If not, I will be even more startled by my vote than I am now.

More

Offline formerlurker

Re: Ken Adelman Endorses Obama (THIS is bigger than Powell)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »
 because adelman is a bona fide conservative

If he is even considering endorsing Obama then he most certainly is not. 

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:05:51 PM »
I sure hope Obama is more open, centrist, sensible—dare I say, Clintonesque—than his liberal record indicates, than his cooperation with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid portends.

This is just one of the stupidest damned things anybody could say....I hope that this person in real life is nothing at all like he has been in ,uhm...real life.

Someone explain what kind of sense that makes or are we witnessing a bunch of bureaucrats polishing up their resumes?

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:07:44 PM »

it looks like mr. adelman did indeed have a falling out with the administration in 2006, and it seems to have escaped my notice.  but having a stalwart like adelman endorse obama (fer chrissakes) is a total kick in the shorts.

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:37:38 PM »
because adelman is a bona fide conservative

If he is even considering endorsing Obama then he most certainly is not. 

wonder what job he's been promised ?
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:54:21 PM »
Never heard of him. Powell does a Pro Quid Pro and this turkey jumps on the bandwagon also. So what.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 06:55:43 PM »
Im not moved by this at all, honestly. Id say 95% of people have no idea who he is, so it wont matter much.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
Im not moved by this at all, honestly. Id say 95% of people have no idea who he is, so it wont matter much.

:agree:

Ken who? :confused:

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »
:agree:

Ken who? :confused:

I do know who he is but I will concur that most won't.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »
Who?

Besides ooooobama kool-aid gulper #69576394769023, I got no clue.

here's what a quick google search turned up -

http://rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/982.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:53:50 PM by DixieBelle »
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 08:54:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm with you guys, who the hell is Ken Adelman?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »
Nobody knows who this guy is but it is Big!  Bigger than the endorsement of General Quisling!  :whatever:

I can't remember the last time an endorsement changed my mind about who I vote for...Oh, that's right, never.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »
He hopes. Did he say he hopes? I don't know who Ken is either but if he "hopes" then he jumped to the right campfire.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:27:38 PM »
He hopes. Did he say he hopes? I don't know who Ken is either but if he "hopes" then he jumped to the right campfire.
"Hope for the change of the hope of the change!"
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 11:45:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm with you guys, who the hell is Ken Adelman?

Yeah, I wonder that too.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
This is just one of the stupidest damned things anybody could say....I hope that this person in real life is nothing at all like he has been in ,uhm...real life.

Someone explain what kind of sense that makes or are we witnessing a bunch of bureaucrats polishing up their resumes?

I have to agree, the rationale in that does not add up at all.  "I don't like what John McCain did picking a running mate, it doesn't matter that Barack's running mate has a track record of being consistently wrong on every foreigh policy issue he's ever discussed, and that Barack appears to stand against everything I supposedly believe in, I just kind of hope he might turn out different than he claims he will."  Did money change hands for a book deal or something?  'Cause if it isn't that, he needs to get checked out stroke/concussion right away.

On edit - I don't see it as big at all.  Unlike Powell this guy has no national public visibility, except with people who are already highly politicized, and he isn't going to be changing any minds in that group at this point.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:06:48 AM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 11:41:58 AM »
All these people falling out of trees to endorse 'O' make me think the 'O' campaign has some BIG problems and they know it.  They are out beating the bushes for people of prominence (real or perceived) to state they are going to vote for him ..... 

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 05:21:50 PM »
All these people falling out of trees to endorse 'O' make me think the 'O' campaign has some BIG problems and they know it.  They are out beating the bushes for people of prominence (real or perceived) to state they are going to vote for him ..... 

KC
Kind of reminds me of mass hysteria.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 10:33:44 AM »
Ken Adelman is the one who said "cakewalk" and "we will be greeted as liberators" the quote subsequently--and erroneousy--attributed hung about the neck of Dick Cheney, John McCain or whoever else the libs needs to disagree with at the time.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."