Author Topic: A sign of the new depression: Fire Wood Thieves.  (Read 2190 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
A sign of the new depression: Fire Wood Thieves.
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x8161852

LeftyMom  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-13-08 06:22 PM
Original message
Somebody stole my whole pile of firewood!
I went out to my carport this morning to get in my car, and apparently sometime between taking out the trash last night at ten and getting out the door this morning, somebody must have backed a vehicle up next to mine and made off with most of a winter's worth of firewood! There are three small pieces sitting there, the rest is gone.

I'd noticed last week that somebody'd lifted a few pieces, but it was unseasonably cold and I wasn't going to sweat it as long as it didn't become a problem. Well, apparently it became a problem.

I don't have anyplace where I can lock it up, even assuming I could track more down affordably this close to heating season it'd probably just disappear again.

There goes my gas bill.

How the hell does someone steal what sounds like a chord of WOOD from your carport without you noticing?

ThomCat  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-13-08 06:27 PM
Response to Original message
1. Damn! @#$%&!
 I understand that people are feeling desperate. But does that justify stealing and putting someone else in a desperate situation?

If that person really, truly needed wood for heat I wish they could have found a way to get help getting some. This really sucks.

Chances are it was some OTHER stupid moonbat.  :whatever:

LeftyMom  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-13-08 06:31 PM
Response to Reply #2
4. I rent, so I can't go putting lights up. 
 And noise wouldn't matter, I can't really hear anything down there, even when I'm awake (I have a hearing problem) and I'll sleep through anything. They probably backed a truck up next to my car, and I didn't hear a thing.
Ahh. That explains a little.

pitohui (1000+ posts)       Mon Oct-13-08 09:05 PM
13. yeah, they tested you, you dfidn't do anything, so they took it all
 it's the give an inch, take a mile principle

it makes sense, you steal a not even a misdemeanor worth and if the cops come out and chew you out, you know to let that house alone, but if there is no peep heard, then you might as well take it all because there will be no consequences

i've had some freaking pepper plants dug up and stolen, worth all of $5 freaking bucks, what do you do?

if you don't sweat the small stuff, then they've tested you, they know it's safe to come back to your house and so it goes

you failed the test, your security is bad, and they know they can rip you off at will, so no use resupplying, i agree w. that much

THERE'S the Left that I know and LOVE!  "Shit man, you better just give up now!!"

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 11:34:55 PM by asdf2231 »

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: A sign of the new depression: Fire Wood Thiefs.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »
Just think of it as a "forced redistribution of wealth", Lefty Mom. That should soothe the hypothermia...
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:54:05 PM »
Just think of it as a "forced redistribution of wealth", Lefty Mom. That should soothe the hypothermia...

From each according to their ability, TO EACH, ACCORDING TO THEIR NEEDS.

I guess someone's needs were great and their ability to steal even more so.

It sucks when the pigeons come home to roost, yes?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »

Mocked by AdBot.   :rotf: 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:01:52 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:07:04 PM »
ROFLMAO!!!!!

I didn't see the ad bot mockery!!!

TFC!!!!

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:08:16 PM »
ROFLMAO!!!!!

I didn't see the ad bot mockery!!!

TFC!!!!

I am telling you, Adbot is the funniest damn poster at the DUmp.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »
ThomCat  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-13-08 06:27 PM
1. Damn! @#$%&!
I understand that people are feeling desperate. But does that justify stealing and putting someone else in a desperate situation?

If that person really, truly needed wood for heat I wish they could have found a way to get help getting some. This really sucks.

Just a day or so ago, in another thread, a DUmmy said thievery should not be considered a crime, if it's something the thief needs.
DUmmyland did not dispute this curious moral stance.

So I guess we don't have a problem here as long as the thief burns the wood.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 09:41:33 PM »
And Ill bet ya that if we scoured the rest of the DUmp we would see some moonbat post about scoring some 'free firewood', lol.  :fuelfire:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 09:42:33 PM »
And Ill bet ya that if we scoured the rest of the DUmp we would see some moonbat post about scoring some 'free firewood', lol.  :fuelfire:

Sort of an atavistic version of Tit's thievery...

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 09:53:57 PM »

Wait a damn minute.................................when the hell did firewood get some damn expensive???

Everyone keep there eyes out for a idjit to post a thread titled "Took all of this Freepers Fundie firewood"
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 10:02:59 PM »
Anyone dumb enough to go on eBay for his firewood deserves to pay a price like that.

Offline jukin

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
As long as it is someone else getting their stuff stolen it's OK with a DUmbass. 

Like free speech, it is a one way street.

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

Re: A sign of the new depression: Fire Wood Thieves.
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 04:18:32 AM »
I wonder if the DUmmie got Algore's permission to kill trees and burn firewood. Surely the raping of our forests and the pouring of smoke into the atmosphere can't be good for the environment.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »
Wait a damn minute.................................when the hell did firewood get some damn expensive???

Everyone keep there eyes out for a idjit to post a thread titled "Took all of this Freepers Fundie firewood"

$200 a cord is cheap right now.  Try getting seasoned firewood up here this late.  Best I could find is $275/cord, 2 cord minimum, plus delivery charge.  Though to be fair, most of it IS hardwood.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 08:49:34 AM »
As long as it is someone else getting their stuff stolen it's OK with a DUmbass. 

Like free speech, it is a one way street.

Nah, didn't you hear?  It's just the Obamanite's "spreading the wealth around", man!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 09:05:02 AM »
Quote from:
LeftyMom

Somebody stole my whole pile of firewood!

I went out to my carport this morning to get in my car, and apparently sometime between taking out the trash last night at ten and getting out the door this morning, somebody must have backed a vehicle up next to mine and made off with most of a winter's worth of firewood! There are three small pieces sitting there, the rest is gone.

Rich Republicans on a Rampage!!!!  It's not enough for them to ruin the economy and keep their jackboots on everyone's neck, now they have to steal what little we do have.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »

Who the hell would pay that much for firewood ? But then again, trees=weeds around here - every year I need to weed my yard of maple saplings. The only one I haven't pulled up was a Japanese Maple that planted itself exactly where I would have planted it.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 09:13:25 AM »
Who the hell would pay that much for firewood ? But then again, trees=weeds around here - every year I need to weed my yard of maple saplings. The only one I haven't pulled up was a Japanese Maple that planted itself exactly where I would have planted it.

Fuel oil prebuy is still $3.80/gallon in places.  Propane and kerosene (especially mix) are worse.  Pellet fuel (IF you can get it) also goes for about $300/ton.  If you're willing to heat on electrical alone (and some folks do), you're looking at a $300 to $400/month electric bill for a small home or apartment.

This is off the state office of energy and planning website:

October 6, 2008

Heating Oil, credit:
$3.687/gal

Propane, credit:
$3.144/gal

Kerosene, credit:
$4.531/gal

Electricity:
$0.16461/kwh

Natural Gas, first tier:
$1.5250/therm

Natural Gas, second tier:
$1.3844/therm

I did a 500 gallon prebuy because I don't have a pellet stove and the fireplace basically is worthless.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »

Adbot mockery!!!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender