Author Topic: GM and Chrysler in merger talks  (Read 4956 times)

Offline RobJohnson

Re: GM and Chrysler in merger talks
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 01:24:42 PM »
If they merge, I wonder how many jobs will be cut?

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »
Ford Says Its Operation Is Independent of Mazda

DEARBORN, Mich. -- The head of Ford Motor Co.'s U.S. operations said news reports about the auto maker selling its controlling stake in Japan's Mazda Motor Co. are speculative. But the executive, Mark Fields, said the companies remain operationally independent despite joint ventures.

The possible sale was approved by Ford's board as part of an effort to bolster its finances amid a downturn in global auto sales and investor questions about the U.S. auto maker's cash reserves, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Mr. Fields, who is president of Ford's Americas operations, said Monday that Ford and Mazda have worked closely over the decades on the basic architecture of vehicles that each company sells under different model names. Nonetheless, each company would be able to function without the other because their design and manufacturing operations remain wholly independent, he said.

"Each company has the full capability" to bring their products to market without the other, Mr. Fields said, speaking with reporters at an event for the company's new F-150 pickup truck.

He declined to comment on recent reports regarding talks General Motors Corp. has had with Ford and Chrysler LLC about potential tie-ups. Mr. Fields said Ford is trying to stay focused on its own turnaround plan despite a sharp drop in its stock price last week to $1.99 in New York Stock Exchange trading on Friday. Ford shares were trading at $2.47

-snip-
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »
If they merge, I wonder how many jobs will be cut?

...only those in the US...and it will be blamed on Boooooosh!   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
Hope you never have to get it fixed.  You'll have to take out a second mortgage to pay the bill.

I had to replace a headlight assembly and the local MB dealership wanted $950 for it and almost $500 to install it. It is an HID xenon with auto level. I bought a used one on eBay for $178 and installed it myself. It has 2 screws holding it in. The toughest part is adjusting it. But I got somewhat used to the crazy parts pricing as my last car, a Corvette, was almost as bad.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »
Like I've told you, once you go German you'll never go back.   :-)

Well I think you are right. This is an amazing car. I am already thinking of an E-Class. I think it would look good having two silver Mercedes in the driveway, lol. And honestly they are cheap right now. Although with the drop in gas prices I dont expect it to last.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline Zeus

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »
I had to replace a headlight assembly and the local MB dealership wanted $950 for it and almost $500 to install it. It is an HID xenon with auto level. I bought a used one on eBay for $178 and installed it myself. It has 2 screws holding it in. The toughest part is adjusting it. But I got somewhat used to the crazy parts pricing as my last car, a Corvette, was almost as bad.

That's because you asked for parts for a Corvette,you shoulda just given the yr and said chevy and saved quite a bit. same with Lincoln/mercury/Ford,all the same parts but three price structures.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 09:19:21 PM »
That's because you asked for parts for a Corvette,you shoulda just given the yr and said chevy and saved quite a bit. same with Lincoln/mercury/Ford,all the same parts but three price structures.

I tried that but the vette has almost no crossover parts. Even stuff you would think to be common such as alternators or AC compressors. Nope. Corvettes use lighter weight, and usually smaller, versions. All of the cast accessory brackets on the motors are tubular aluminim on vette engines. I helped my son pull the starter on it a couple weeks ago and it is identical to an aftermarket hi-perf model at less than half the weight. Everything is higher priced. We call it 'The Corvette Tax'.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 09:43:28 PM »
Ahem, gentle reminder that I'm German  :cheersmate:  :naughty:  :-)  :rotf:

Gotta give you credit for hanging in there, lol. Good luck.  :-)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »

:naughty: :hyper:

:-)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 10:35:23 PM »
And as usual the unions are thinking of nothing but thelselves. Do those yutzes ever think that when a company goes out of business everyone loses their jobs??? But then they will just get unemployment, welfare and whatever the latest Democrat buying-their-votes plan is. The quote below in bold really says it all.

All the nerger talk has made labor suspicious. A spokesman for the UAW declined to comment on the merger but one told TIME neither company has approached the UAW. "No one has talked to us about it," said the official who asked not to be identified. "I don't see what we get out of it. We're both way too dependent on trucks and sport utility vehicles," noted the union official who represents Chrysler workers at a plant near Detroit.

Times story

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 11:10:56 PM »

Born in Germany?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.