Author Topic: Primitives confused by primitively styled statue  (Read 1078 times)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Primitives confused by primitively styled statue
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:15:34 AM »
Seems they can't figure out if this Statue is good or bad - a compliment or an insult - because the artist is certifiably insane.

Quote from: tekisui
tekisui  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Thu Oct-09-08 08:15 AM
Original message

Have You Seen This? Michelle Obama Topless Sculpture Goes Public In NYC

The controversial topless bust of Barack Obama's wife Michelle Obama was unveiled to the public in New York yesterday.

The bust - the work of artist Daniel Edwards - is a topless figure of the U.S. candidate's wife with a Nefertiti-style hair do and the star spangled banner across her chest.

On his website, Edwards describes the artwork as, “an accessorized mannequin bust of Obama that foregoes the conventional pearl necklace, and provides for her a 'signature look' to take to Washington.

“The goal is to create a look for Michelle Obama that eliminates excessive comparisons to Jackie Kennedy.”

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/photos/45114/3/michelle-obama-topless-sculpture-goes-public-in-nyc#gallery

What is this all about?

lots of squabbling follows  :popcorn:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x7380202
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:19:10 AM by miskie »

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Re: Primitives confused by primitively styled statue
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:43:59 AM »
vaberella (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-09-08 08:53 AM
Response to Original message
29. I actually see where he's coming from.
 Or I think I do. He's not trying to be insulting or disrespectful. The point is he's trying to identify Michelle Obama as iconic in Black history as Nefertiti was. The sad thing from the moment of Obama's success and rise as the Presidential Candidate for the Dem party she was idolized in some respects and compared to Jackie O. However, Blacks in America had no one to look up to as being as nationally significant where both whites and Blacks and all people have in some way admired their success. So the comparison to Jackie O, inadvertently shows the racism of America and now we have MIchelle Obama.

In Black History one of the most popular Queens, as in honored for her dignity and rule (this does not include Cleopatra VII) was Nefertiti. Her husband was marked for greatness and she followed suit. I think its in this vein the artist wants to reawaken the specific accompolishments of Black women through his usage (or trying to portray her) Michelle as Nefertiti; rather than the idolized White woman.

I think he's calling into question an element of Black pride in our history, versus being basically white-washed. However, I do understand the symbolism to Jackie O; since in American history it seems no wife has ever met her stylistic persona and that's not necessarily a racialized situation.

I don't think he has a good grasp of her face, however the statue as a whole is beautiful.

eh....There is art, and there is art. Of the two, I think this is...ok.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:53:37 AM »
It's better than some of the "art" that uses elephant dung and urine.  OTOH, I think the artists main goal was to garner attention, publicity and maybe to generate controversy. Then again, isn't that what all artists attempt to do no matter what their medium?

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:11:08 AM »
The artist likes to be controversial, so if Hussein wins he ought to put the image on a T-shirt with the words "First Kaffir."

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 02:16:07 PM »
If the artist would have wanted real attention he would have touched base with the rat from the swamp and painted it glowing green. Ain't nothing says "ART" like something glowing green.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
The campaign logo themed earrings are a nice touch.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 02:45:55 PM »
Well-executed, not to my taste in either the design or the subject, though.  Tits OK, I give them a 7.5.

:popcorn:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 03:48:50 PM »
The first thing I thought of when I saw the statue.

I'm so ashamed.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 03:50:25 PM »
I only saw the top half of the statue...  I thought the same thing.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.