Author Topic: DUmmies Ponder World Finance And Natural Resources  (Read 1410 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
DUmmies Ponder World Finance And Natural Resources
« on: October 07, 2008, 07:29:40 PM »
DUmmy Taverner, who matches stevenumbers in financial sophistication, asks a difficult question:

Taverner  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-07-08 08:07 PM
Original message
Seriously - what would happen if the USA went bankrupt?
Say we couldn't pay our bills, no one will loan us money and we have to forclose this country?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4188278

maxsolomon (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-07-08 08:11 PM
Response to Original message
3. the global economy would stop
you could make an argument that this is not entirely a bad thing.
see: http://www.adbusters.org/ 

DUmmy maxsolomon has obviously been listed as a dependent on someone else's Form 1040 every year of his life.

NNN0LHI  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-07-08 08:14 PM
6. Same thing that happened to the USSR
Only real difference is that we lack the natural resources (oil) Russia had to get themselves out of it.

Don

This DUmmy fails to recognize that the United States has more BTUs in the ground, in oil, coal, oil shale, and natural gas, than any nation on earth.

As soon as a few democrats get cold in the winter, they will purge themselves of the environmental wackos, and we will begin to enjoy the bounty we've been blessed with.

Offline MrsSmith

Re: DUmmies Ponder World Finance And Natural Resources
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »
Judging by world markets the last couple days, if the US "went bankrupt," the whole world would go belly-up.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 05:03:14 AM »
Judging by world markets the last couple days, if the US "went bankrupt," the whole world would go belly-up.

And if the US "went bankrupt," it's those of us who are "bitterly clinging to their guns and God" who would have the tools to get through it.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »
Those of the lowest intellect and ability would die off.  The poor (minorities, women, and children) would be hit hardest and 98% of the DUmpmonkies would become homeless beggars.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »
Those of the lowest intellect and ability would die off.  The poor (minorities, women, and children) would be hit hardest

Not my wife or my child . . .
and 98% of the DUmpmonkies would become homeless beggars.

Up from 95%.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline InfamousAndy

• Just Off Probation
  • The Friendly Christian
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »
Their lack of economic and financial education is astounding.  The government is incapable of going bankrupt:  It prints the currency.  The worst that can happen is that our 'fiat' money (money that is only exchangable for goods and services because both sides are reasonably confident that they can exchange it to someone else for the same relative value) has no internal/external value (think of the massive inflation in Germany after WW1.... you couldn't buy a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrow full of currency).

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 09:25:23 PM »
see: http://www.adbusters.org/
Well, DUmmie, the first thing that would happen is the local Quickie Mart where you get your Cheetoes runs out of gas after the fuel transport company says it will only take cash for the transaction.    Next, and in short order, your local grocery store starts running out of daily delivery items such as donuts and breads, for the same reason. 

After that, a systemic crash ensues.  Everyone withdraws money from the banks, which means no more lending which wipes out a lot of peoples paychecks for money they can no longer access anyway. 

In three days to a week, local stores, regarding they haven't seen rioting and looting yet, start noticeably running out of goods.  As necessary items start running into short supply a general panic sets in and the rioting and looting, unchecked by any police force, starts. 

Within a week, the power grid shuts down.  The electric company will run out of fuel for it's plant and workers to operate it.  People who need medicine such as insulin will begin dying within the next week.  Starvation starts setting in.

At six weeks there is general starvation.  Depending on the time of year this occurs, more people malnourished and unprepared for the winter die.  Locally, warlords will form small bands of people loyal to them, and forcing anyone weaker into slavery.  Some even welcome the slavery as better than the chaos surrounding them.

At three months, there are only three groups of people remaining on the Earth.  The warlords and their thugs, the starving, and the warlords slaves. 

Why the any human would think this is a good thing is beyond my ability to understand.  In fact that human may well have lost his humanity.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 10:18:56 PM »
They don't realize that the very system that they hate is the only thing that makes their existence possible.

Without the rule of law and a stable functional economy, the strong do as they will and the weak, submit.

The DUmmies don't realize that they are just not cut out to be a warlord or a thug.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 10:46:24 PM »

And how fast would that piece of human debris be banging on your or my door begging for crumbs when he is cold and hungry in the dark and our homes are the only ones lit on the block? ****ing illiterate whack jobs I swear.  :hammer:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 11:14:44 PM »
They don't realize that the very system that they hate is the only thing that makes their existence possible.

Without the rule of law and a stable functional economy, the strong do as they will and the weak, submit.

The DUmmies don't realize that they are just not cut out to be a warlord or a thug.

I had a guy tell me one time that the Humans would be better offif 95% of us just fell off painlessly, instantly dead.  I told him that he clearly expected to survive that, but he was a fool.  He clearly thought he would survive and be living in a utopia.  He was shocked when I told him 80% of the survivors would be dead within the year, and they would be the lucky ones.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken