Author Topic: Dread, Death, Doom, Gloom and a General Feeling of Poopiness  (Read 7519 times)

Offline jendf

Re: Dread, Death, Doom, Gloom and a General Feeling of Poopiness
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »
McCain will get on Obama about Freddie and Fannie tonight, according to Malkin. Remarks he will make tonight at a rally:

Our current economic crisis is a good case in point. What was his actual record in the years before the great economic crisis of our lifetimes?

This crisis started in our housing market in the form of subprime loans that were pushed on people who could not afford them. Bad mortgages were being backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and it was only a matter of time before a contagion of unsustainable debt began to spread. This corruption was encouraged by Democrats in Congress, and abetted by Senator Obama.

Senator Obama has accused me of opposing regulation to avert this crisis. I guess he believes if a lie is big enough and repeated often enough it will be believed. But the truth is I was the one who called at the time for tighter restrictions on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that could have helped prevent this crisis from happening in the first place.

Senator Obama was silent on the regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and his Democratic allies in Congress opposed every effort to rein them in. As recently as September of last year he said that subprime loans had been, quote, “a good idea.” Well, Senator Obama, that “good idea” has now plunged this country into the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.

To hear him talk now, you’d think he’d always opposed the dangerous practices at these institutions. But there is absolutely nothing in his record to suggest he did. He was surely familiar with the people who were creating this problem. The executives of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have advised him, and he has taken their money for his campaign. He has received more money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac than any other senator in history, with the exception of the chairman of the committee overseeing them.

Did he ever talk to the executives at Fannie and Freddie about these reckless loans? Did he ever discuss with them the stronger oversight I proposed? If Senator Obama is such a champion of financial regulation, why didn’t he support these regulations that could have prevented this crisis in the first place? He won’t tell you, but you deserve an answer.

Offline paladin0

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »
Well when Obama is elected and the 2nd great depression starts, you can tell people "See, I told you so."

I hope that McCain goes after Obama hard tonight, as the thought of Obama as President makes the thought of President Hillary Clinton passable.

Paladin0
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
—James Madison, Federalist No. 10

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 01:42:44 PM »
Well when Obama is elected and the 2nd great depression starts, you can tell people "See, I told you so."

I hope that McCain goes after Obama hard tonight, as the thought of Obama as President makes the thought of President Hillary Clinton passable.

Paladin0
It's more than a mere depression.

Add to that: Marxism in schools, Truth Squads in the DoJ and capitulation to every nuclear-armed thug on the planet.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline jendf

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »

Add to that: Marxism in schools, Truth Squads in the DoJ and capitulation to every nuclear-armed thug on the planet.

Good grief, Snuggles. Just get a razor blade and be done with it already.

This little "we're doomed" thread is not helping things.

You must be a blast at parties.

Offline paladin0

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 01:47:27 PM »

There is always the Civil War option.

Paladin0

Offline paladin0

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 01:48:55 PM »

Jen, this wasn't necessary. The last thing we need is to go after each other like this.

Paladin0

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »
Fannie Mae remarks by McCain today:

Our current economic crisis is a good case in point. What was his actual record in the years before the great economic crisis of our lifetimes?
This crisis started in our housing market in the form of subprime loans that were pushed on people who could not afford them. Bad mortgages were being backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and it was only a matter of time before a contagion of unsustainable debt began to spread. This corruption was encouraged by Democrats in Congress, and abetted by Senator Obama.Senator Obama has accused me of opposing regulation to avert this crisis. I guess he believes if a lie is big enough and repeated often enough it will be believed. But the truth is I was the one who called at the time for tighter restrictions on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that could have helped prevent this crisis from happening in the first place.

Did he ever talk to the executives at Fannie and Freddie about these reckless loans? Did he ever discuss with them the stronger oversight I proposed? If Senator Obama is such a champion of financial regulation, why didn’t he support these regulations that could have prevented this crisis in the first place? He won’t tell you, but you deserve an answer.

This is from Hot Air. McCain is fighting back.

Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline jendf

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 01:58:19 PM »
Wow. Snuggs sets possibly the worst possible tone we could have 29 days before the election and I'm told to back off.

Fantastic.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »
I will admit that McCain better start attacking the Obamassiah and putting up a fight.  If during tomorrows debate McCain doesn't come out for blood, rip the little commie to shreads, then spit, kick, and step on him as he leaves, stick a fork in him, he's done.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »

And sometimes the biggest Syren Song is the one you sing to yourself.

I'm not trying to be a doomsayer to demoralize people. I loathe Obama and wish the Heaven above or Hell below that McCain hadn't been our nominee but now that he is I wish he'd fight more.

I'm also a big Palin supporter (in case you missed the sig).

But please exaplin to me how reporting the heathen horde has broken through on the left flank is a report worthy of courts martial rather than a call to shift the strategic reserve to buttress that flank. Tell me how ignoring those reports is keeping a chipper outlook to bolster one's sense of optomism.

I would like to think that as conservatives we can handle bad news and plan accordingly. "Plan for the worst, hope for the best" is a military maxim for a reason.

For whatever it's worth: No, hard feelings. Your desire to stay perky in-the-face-of is understandable.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 02:13:23 PM »
I will admit that McCain better start attacking the Obamassiah and putting up a fight.  If during tomorrows debate McCain doesn't come out for blood, rip the little commie to shreads, then spit, kick, and step on him as he leaves, stick a fork in him, he's done.

We cannot afford a draw or even a marginal win tomorrow.

We need something that is going to make Barry crack.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »
I'm not alone, it seems:

I want happy talk. Give me happy talk. Don't say anything bad about my leaders. Give me happy talk. Do not attempt to change their disastrous positions through criticisms and private lobbying. Just give me happy talk.

Happy talk.

Happy talk.

Happy talk.

Happy talk.

I need me my happy talk, 24/7, even if doing so encourages McCain in his ill-advised inertia.

Happy talk.

Happy talk.

Happy talk.

I cannot bear anything but happy talk.

Hey, buddy? I support McCain when he's right and I criticize him -- in an effort to change his behavior -- when he's wrong.

I have privately lobbied for this change for a ****ing week. I have sent 15 or more emails about this. 20+ is more like it.

Friday night? When I wasn't blogging? I wasn't out. I was sending emails to the McCain camp. I spent my ****ing Friday night pleading with people to change their strategy.

I put up Patterico to posting about this so I could link it. All in an effort to pressure this result, however weakly. I was doing whatever I could.

So take your Stalinist insistence on nothing but 24/7 happy talk and get the **** off my blog. I've had it with you, and idiots like you.

I'm not letting a smile be my umbrella.

You want happy-talk? Well I ****ing want to win.

So who between us is more "on the team"?
http://ace.mu.nu/archives/274960.php

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 02:49:33 PM »
As much of an optimist as I am, I have to agree with MSB's line of reasoning.  We, as a country, are in for a very tough two years as the Dem Senate and House "get revenge" for the last eight years, then are in for a very tough two years as the effect of the first two years of the Dem desire for revenge on conservatives hits.  By then, the majority of the American people who voted for "hope and change" will say, "This isn't what we voted for," and they will correct radically, starting in 2010 by restoring nominal control of the Senate and house to the Republicans (and possibly turning a fair number of state governorships/houses to the Rs), and finishing on Election Night in 2012, by burying Obama with a landslide.  Also, 24 of the 33 Senate seats up for grabs in 2012 will be defended by Democrats.  We could see January 21st, 2013 dawning with President Sarah Palin having 60 to 68 Republicans--conservative Republicans, probably--in the Senate, and 280-290 Republicans--again, the vast majority of them will be conservative Republicans--to not only pass her legislative agenda to pull the US out of the Obama Depression, but to impeach a majority of Obama's Federal Judges and SCOTUS appointees.

On edit:  That's without the obvious economic implications a successful terrorist attack in the US would have.  I fully expect al Qaeda to launch a major attack--on both NYC and DC, to bring down the economic system.  Bambi will respond by attacking into Pakistan, a ****ing wonderful idea--attacking an ally (marginal, but an ally nonetheless) in this war, and a nuclear-armed one at that--one that could easily get those nukes into the hands of al Qaeda.  Combine that with the rhetoric of the Left that will be spweing from every mouthpiece that is in the Obama camp (count the "MSM" in this) and you have the ingrediants for a civil war, just like Paladin0 said.  But, liberals tend to not be gun owners.  Conservatives do.  Besides, the military oaths say "to protect and uphold the Constitution" first, not the President, do they not?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:01:34 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »
Seriously, for the past few election cycles it has not been unusual at all for polls to squirrel around all over the place with very radical moves in the last 72 hours especially, or be just plain dead wrong.  Try to keep from slashing your wrists long enough to vote, at least, for God's sake.  Hell, if Obama wins you should be able to get a bunch of free happy pills to take the edge off, anyway.  Just climb down off the damned water tower, already.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline paladin0

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 03:06:57 PM »
Wow. Snuggs sets possibly the worst possible tone we could have 29 days before the election and I'm told to back off.

Fantastic.

Not back off, but IMHO telling him to take a razor blade and commit suicide was over the top. Maybe because I had a close friend kill himself makes me a little sensitive to the issue, but when I see talk like that it turns me off.

But hey, I noticed I picked up two BS so maybe people are siding with you. :)

Paladin0

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »
Not back off, but IMHO telling him to take a razor blade and commit suicide was over the top. Maybe because I had a close friend kill himself makes me a little sensitive to the issue, but when I see talk like that it turns me off.

But hey, I noticed I picked up two BS so maybe people are siding with you. :)

Paladin0
I understand her passion and declined to take offense.

Thanks for being a wing-man though.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »
I understand her passion and declined to take offense.

Thanks for being a wing-man though.

I H5ed you for your sounding the alarm.  I'm watching a clip right now about Bambi accusing McCain of "smearing" him.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2008, 05:06:13 PM »
Some of you are such pussies.   :p

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2098976/posts

(October 8, 2004) Kerry takes lead in new opinion poll

Kerry takes lead in new opinion poll

Washington

October 8, 2004 - 5:29PM

Democrat John Kerry has taken a slight lead over US President George W Bush, according to a new opinion poll.

The survey by the Associated Press found that Kerry had gained ground with women, boosting his overall popularity and cutting into the president's advantage on national security.

The two candidates remain in a very close race ahead of a second debate tomorrow in St. Louis.

Among 944 likely voters, the Democratic ticket of Kerry and John Edwards led Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, 50 per cent to 46 per cent, in the poll conducted for the AP by Ipsos-Public Affairs.

The October 4-6 survey had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

The race was tied at 47 per cent among the 1,273 registered voters in the poll, similar to others showing a tight race.

With bloodshed increasing in Iraq, Kerry sharpened his attacks, and Bush stumbled in their initial debate a week ago. Another possible factor influencing the results: consumer confidence has been dropping in recent weeks, according to several measures of attitudes about the economy.

Nearly three-quarters of likely voters surveyed by the AP said they had watched or listened to the first Bush-Kerry debate on September 30.

About four in 10 - 39 per cent - said they came away with a more favorable view of Kerry, while just 8 per cent felt better about Bush.

"I was more comfortable with Kerry after the debate," said Louis Robinson, a 66-year-old retiree and Democrat from Pittsburgh. "I just like the way he carried himself."

Nearly one-third of those who watched the debate said it gave them a less favorable view of Bush.

Bush advisers privately acknowledge that he cost himself in the first debate by fidgeting and grimacing during Kerry's answers and failing to seize upon openings by the Democrat. They felt better about Cheney's performance Tuesday against Edwards, the Democratic vice presidential candidate.

In the final weeks of the campaign, the president is facing an unsettled electorate.

Nearly six in 10 of all the people questioned said the country was headed down the wrong track, reflecting a gloomy national mood that could jeopardize Bush's re-election bid. His overall job approval rating among likely voters, 46 percent, was at its lowest point since June - down from 54 per cent in late September.

Bush's current job approval falls at the midpoint between recent presidents who won and lost re-election.

President Jimmy Carter had a job approval rating in the 30s in October 1980 before being ousted the following month. President George H.W. Bush, father of the current president, also was in the�30s in October 1992 before losing.

Presidents Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton had job approval levels in the mid-50s in surveys by the Gallup polling organization at this stage of their successful re-election bids.

Forty-four per cent of likely voters approved of Bush's handling of the war in Iraq, down from 51 percent in the late-September poll. Likely voters were about evenly split - Bush at 49 per cent and Kerry at 46 per cent - on the question of who is best suited to handle Iraq.

On the question of who would do the best job protecting the country, Bush led Kerry 51 per cent to 45 per cent among likely voters - down from the 20-point lead Bush held in a Sept. 7-9 poll by AP-Ipsos. Bush has had a big advantage on that issue since the beginning of the campaign.

"The biggest thing is that I feel comfortable with Bush on terrorism, foreign conflicts and any threats at home," said Wanda Burkel, a 54-year-old independent from Lake Forest, California.

While national polls gauge the potential popular vote, the real race for the White House is playing out one state at a time in the battle for 270 electoral votes - a competition that also remains remarkably close.

Eric Schlichting, a suburban Chicago inventory manager who tends to vote Republican, said he definitely doesn't support Kerry, but Iraq is troubling him.

"Up until the last 18 months, I was leaning toward Bush, but the more that happens (there) the worse it gets," Schlichting said. "He sticks to his guns, but his aim is so far off that sticking to his guns is not paying off."

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »
It'd be worse than that if he wins - Barack Hussein Obama is not just another liberal Democrat posing as a moderate, he is a marxist through and through. He has already shown no qualms about using the 1st Amendment to bend to his will.

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_10647630

There are all kinds of red flags here - he is no Bill Clinton, or even Jimmuh Carter - he's much much worse.

We cannot afford a draw or even a marginal win tomorrow.

We need something that is going to make Barry crack.

First off, you probably wouldn't, but don't watch it on CNN - they're not: link

I don't think Barack Hussein Obama can win without cheating, but there's widepread voter fraud and the MSM will help him do so. Many of the polls are cooked, the idea is to demoralize the Republicans so they won't even bother to show up to vote at the polls next month.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2008, 05:41:50 PM »
Some of you are such pussies.   :p
Obama's lead today is twice that and I was no where near this bleak in my outlook in 2000 or 2004.

Still, McCain MAY have decided to wake-up and go on offense.

If he does--and relentlessly so--he has a chance.

An Obama meltdown over the truth of McCain's words would help too but I'm not holding my breath. If it is one thing Jr has learned it is how to play a role.

Admit facts: McCain has ALWAYS suffered from a lackluster campaign. It only heated-up after Palin was announced and then he sat on her until the fires dimmed. The relentless slander of Palin through Obama's surrogates in the MSM coupled with Obama's own setting the narrative through blame-shifting on Fannie/Freddie made for the lop-sided polls. McCain seems/seemed determined to lose this election on his own terms. He needs to prove to the base he will fight for them and that means taking note of where the attacks are coming from.

If he wakes up and starts fighting and forgets all this Mr nice Guy BS so be it, but why does his own base have to scream for him to "free Sarah!" put the Wall St meltdown blame where it belongs. He's a big boy now he should have been doing that first, not waking-up from a nap to find the base howling. Last time I looked CinC was a leadership role.

Nov 4th will either be a squeaker for McCain or a blow-out for Obama.

BTW - I spent 2 very aggravating hours dodging traffic and hunting for the elections board through3 different buildings here in CO so I could vote against Obama/for Palin 2012; so please spare me the lectures about not helping the team.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »
Obama's lead today is twice that and I was no where near this bleak in my outlook in 2000 or 2004.

Still, McCain MAY have decided to wake-up and go on offense.

If he does--and relentlessly so--he has a chance.

An Obama meltdown over the truth of McCain's words would help too but I'm not holding my breath. If it is one thing Jr has learned it is how to play a role.

Admit facts: McCain has ALWAYS suffered from a lackluster campaign. It only heated-up after Palin was announced and then he sat on her until the fires dimmed. The relentless slander of Palin through Obama's surrogates in the MSM coupled with Obama's own setting the narrative through blame-shifting on Fannie/Freddie made for the lop-sided polls. McCain seems/seemed determined to lose this election on his own terms. He needs to prove to the base he will fight for them and that means taking note of where the attacks are coming from.

If he wakes up and starts fighting and forgets all this Mr nice Guy BS so be it, but why does his own base have to scream for him to "free Sarah!" put the Wall St meltdown blame where it belongs. He's a big boy now he should have been doing that first, not waking-up from a nap to find the base howling. Last time I looked CinC was a leadership role.

Nov 4th will either be a squeaker for McCain or a blow-out for Obama.

BTW - I spent 2 very aggravating hours dodging traffic and hunting for the elections board through3 different buildings here in CO so I could vote against Obama/for Palin 2012; so please spare me the lectures about not helping the team.

I never lectured anyone about "not helping the team".  I just called you and a few others pussies.  I used it as a term of endearment though.   :-*

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2008, 08:56:47 PM »
It ain't over til it's over.

I really believe the media is trying to play up teh Ooooobama to make conservatives stay home on election day. It's a mind game. We can't let them win without a fight.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2008, 10:04:18 PM »
It ain't over til it's over.

I really believe the media is trying to play up teh Ooooobama to make conservatives stay home on election day. It's a mind game. We can't let them win without a fight.

Durn straight, we'll win or die trying.

I've been praying for our country a lot these last few days.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 02:45:13 PM »
Look people. Everyonehere knows whats at stake. None of us are so stupid as to think that voting for the BO is a good idea. That's what the DUmps for. The thing is this,either vote for McCain or not but you do so at the risk of turning this country over to someone that has some piss poor qualities when it comes to his judgement when it comes to picking his friends and actually has zero experiance in leadership. If thats the kind of person we get stuck with on November 4th 2008 then maybe this quote from a movie should be your guide.

"I think you should stock up on canned foods and shotguns."
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »
Found this Florida poll on FR

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2099860/posts

(October 31, 2004) Florida Poll: Kerry 49%, Bush 44%
Fox News ^
Posted on October 7, 2008 3:45:18 PM CDT by Chet 99