Author Topic: Dread, Death, Doom, Gloom and a General Feeling of Poopiness  (Read 7521 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Dread, Death, Doom, Gloom and a General Feeling of Poopiness
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »
Those who know me know I wargame a lot. That means taking on the enemies eyes (I've never lost WW3 playing the Soviets). Looking through the eyes of the independent voter who will not follow-up the statements of tonight's debate with independent fact-checking so as the narrative has already been set by the MSM...

Hate to be the doomsayer but: even though Biden was lying through his teeth he was setting the tone. Palin was playing defense the whole game.

All week the dems set the bar, "If Palin shows up and doesn't drool on herself the GOP will call it a win." What that translates to is, "Anything short of a Biden drooling on himself means Palin was only mediocre."

Palin's every response has been pre-coordinated with the campaign because as a conservative she can't like half the shit McCain pulls. Her answer on gay marriage was nuanced bullshit designed to avoid the screams of CRYPTO-THEO-FASCIST HOMOPHOBE! which will come anyway. She capitulated on global warming. Everytime Biden said she was lying she wsan't allowed/didn't respond factually. The ruth ius she sounded as vague as Obama. Now granted, our #2 is stronger than their #1 but their #1 is getting a free pass and she's being judged as a #1 because they keep plugging, "McCain's gonna die mid-term and leave her in charge!!!!" meme. When Biden was saying McCain voted against funding the obvious answer was "because it laid provisions for defeat in addition to funds, but McCain doesn't have to pledge defeat to a radical leftist base." Obama's base is his Achilles heel and she left it unscratched. No mention of Ayers, Wright, Johnson, Raines...

Every missed opportunity was a base line out for our side. We didn't need a tie we needed a win and I don't think this is going to be the clean-up-at-bat we needed. McCain is too damned waffling and inexact--especially in this media environment--on the bailout and he's too ****ing "bipartisan" on half the other shit so as to piss off his base and he's dragged Palin to the center.

Sorry, but I think Obama gets 2 to 4 points out of this debate and that puts it too far out of reach.

It would be nice to be wrong for a change.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Dread, Death, Doom, Gloom and a General Feeling of Poopiness
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:36:52 PM »
Hate to be the doomsayer but: even though Biden was lying through his teeth he was setting the tone. Palin was playing defense the whole game.

All week the dems set the bar, "If Palin shows up and doesn't drool on herself the GOP will call it a win." What that translates to is, "Anything short of a Biden drooling on himself means Palin was only mediocre."

Sorry, but I think Obama gets 2 to 4 points out of this debate and that puts it too far out of reach.

It would be nice to be wrong for a change.

I think you're right.  Obama stutterred and stammered his way through the first debate, but the media still managed to coronate him as the winner.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:43:27 PM »
I think you're right.  Obama stutterred and stammered his way through the first debate, but the media still managed to coronate him as the winner.
And once those polls come in the libs will say, "See! I told you she couldn't impress us! She really is a drooling retard."

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
i dont know any independants really.. but i think Palin did pretty well tonight. Joe Biden did lie quite a lot, and hopefully in the aftermath the MSM will tease that out.

The Dems on the FOX crew are saying she nailed it, so, I'm sure the moonbats on the other channels will be flummoxed and angry. But since I dont watch any of them... I dont care.  :popcorn:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:56:46 PM »
i dont know any independents really.. but i think Palin did pretty well tonight. Joe Biden did lie quite a lot, and hopefully in the aftermath the MSM will tease that out.

The MSM will side with Biden, and air the neccessary stories and material to cover his ass for him.  And I don't know any independents either.  The majority of people in my department are black and, obviously, are supporting Obama.

And I fix't yr spelling.  :-)
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:07 PM »
i dont know any independants really.. but i think Palin did pretty well tonight. Joe Biden did lie quite a lot, and hopefully in the aftermath the MSM will tease that out.
If you believe that you've been hanging out too close to DU and caught a contact high.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »
I watched Jim Lehrer on PBS, only because I was borrowing their streaming video. They said she held her own. Thought she did fine. Even thought that her colloquiallisms were endearing.

I don't know, I like her, so it's hard to be objective like my good buddy Snugs. I think the fact that she did not implode like the left had hoped will go a long way with the public.

I do think she has to flip off the MSM and get out on the campaign trail and possibly lose the old dude.  :-)
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Lauri

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 09:59:48 PM »
thanks for the fix  :cheersmate:

and after listening to the focus group on FOX, that one elderly lady got it spot on: all of her 'edited' interviews with Couric and Gibson made people see her much differently.

letting people see her full out, will definitely change the polls.

count on it.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »
If you believe that you've been hanging out too close to DU and caught a contact high.

well, in the ratings game, FOX news is the top of the charts and they will definitely talk about this debate for the next few days and look closely at everything that was said.

so, arent they are part of the MSM now.. ?

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »
According to the scenerio you painted, it was lose-lose no matter what happened.  The top of the ticket is going to dictate to a large degree how the Veep is to represent the ticket, that's just the way it is.  You play second fiddle to McCain and he's going to have it composed in a way he believes plays to his strengths since he's the top.  McCain isn't going to upset the radical leftist because I'm betting he actually believes that by not attacking them and Ayers, Wright, Johnson, Raines, he can woo, maybe not them, but some who are marginally kook left.

What the MSM is going to say is what they're going to say anyway, nothing can be done to stop that.  Either the American people, after years and years and years of being documented just how much the MSM is in the tank for Democrats/liberals, know that the MSM is biased or they don't.  If they don't realize it, and it influences them to vote for a couple of Marxists, then they'll get what coming to them for being stupid.  And unfortunately, the rest of us will get dragged into their stupid mistake and have to deal with it, but that's life.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 01:38:21 PM »
It's over.

This renegotiation of mortgage principle and interest will be the last straw for the conservative base. They're going to stay home. Palin can't overcome that.

Offline jendf

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
It's over.

This renegotiation of mortgage principle and interest will be the last straw for the conservative base. They're going to stay home. Palin can't overcome that.

It's not over until someone is declared the winner on November 4th.

A lot can happen in 31 days.

Doom and gloom is no way to go through life, dude.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
It's over.

Through life?

No.

But McCain ain't exactly lighting any fires. Do you see him pulling a rabbit out of his hat in the next 4 weeks?

Obama could be caught on film fongling pre-schoolers and the only thing you'll see in the MSM are headlines screaming, "Obama Reaches Out to America's Youth, McCain-Palin Critical of Career of Child Advocacy".

Offline jendf

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »
It's over.

Through life?

No.

But McCain ain't exactly lighting any fires. Do you see him pulling a rabbit out of his hat in the next 4 weeks?

Obama could be caught on film fongling pre-schoolers and the only thing you'll see in the MSM are headlines screaming, "Obama Reaches Out to America's Youth, McCain-Palin Critical of Career of Child Advocacy".

I'm not an idiot, MSB. I know the MSM is firmly in the tank for Obama.

I understand your fears but I think it's still too close of a race for us to be saying it's over.

It's not over until 11/4. I'm not going to join your pity party until I hear them declare Obama the president.

I wish you all the best, MSB.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
I would never imply you're an idiot and while I'm still voting against Obama I don't see McCain doing anything other than watering down Gov Palin.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
Rasmussen has L'il 'O at 52%.

Dow falls to 9800 and dropping.

McCain refuses to bring up Rev Wright.

McCain focuses on Bill Ayers but media ignores or spins away Ayer's treason.

Cultists run amok brainwashing children with no MSM scrutiny.

Obama is hammering McCain on the financial meltdown calling it the fault of de-regs.

McCain says its too complicated to respond.

Truth Squads

Congress is lower than the 2006 GOP congress but there is talk--not of bouncing the dems--but giving them a filibuster-proof senate.

McCain is just like Bush...too @#$%ing high-minded to defend himself and too damned interested in "bipartisanship" to smack down libs who mean them nothing but harm so they can rule the rest of us.

The GOP is too high-minded. They won't defend us from these @#$%ing predators in suits.

Obama is worse than Carter. Carter at least had experience. Obama is a neophyte born and bred to institute the worst of demonstrably failed policies and inextricably linked to those who would destroy this country. It's gonna take 30 years or more to undo the next 4 years.

BTW - my BS count took a spike after this thread started. Whatever. But unless you have something better than "Buck-up l'il camper. Poopiness never helps." spare yourself the mouse-click. Wishful-thinking never helps either. Facts are useful so if you have something of substance to counter my view please post it. I for one would appreciate the balm.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 11:53:45 AM »
BTW - my BS count took a spike after this thread started. Whatever. But unless you have something better than "Buck-up l'il camper. Poopiness never helps." spare yourself the mouse-click. Wishful-thinking never helps either. Facts are useful so if you have something of substance to counter my view please post it. I for one would appreciate the balm.

Sounds like somebody needs a beer or four!

:cheersmate:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »
Sounds like somebody needs a beer or four!

:cheersmate:
I'm pouring it on my Cap'n Crunch.

Offline jendf

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 12:00:41 PM »
Buck-up l'il camper. Poopiness never helps.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 12:24:18 PM »
I think the MSM is doing a good job in disillusioning the right. How about Palin going on the offensive, slamming Obama's associations with terrorists? How about the O campaign bringing up the "Keating 5," which was a bunch of nothing, as far as McCain is concerned.

They're orchestrating everything so that conservatives get disillusioned and don't go out to vote. Obama's been running for two years, and we still haven't seen a real hard-hitting piece in the MSM about his associations and his background.

The guy's running on "protecting the middle class," when a whole freaking chapter in his book attacks "middle classness."

Obama is one walking October surprise. I'm still hoping any one of these stories gets national attention. That's all it'll take.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »
Little Green Footballs has a great 8-year-old piece up from Slate magazine on "Why Bush is Toast." It's got some valuable lessons there:

Why Bush Is Toast
By William Saletan
Posted Thursday, Sept. 14, 2000, at 3:00 AM ET
Since Labor Day, the media have released about 20 polls on the presidential race. Three show a dead heat, one shows George W. Bush leading by a single percentage point, and the rest show Al Gore leading by one to 10 points. In the latest polls, Gore leads by an average of five points. It's fashionable at this stage to caution that "anything can happen," that Bush is "retooling," and that the numbers can turn in Bush's favor just as easily as they turned against him. But they can't. The numbers are moving toward Gore because fundamental dynamics tilt the election in his favor. The only question has been how far those dynamics would carry him. Now that he has passed Bush, the race is over.

Yes, in principle, Bush could win. The stock market could crash. Gore could be caught shagging an intern. Bush could electrify the country with the greatest performance in the history of presidential debates. But barring such a grossly unlikely event, there is no reason to think Bush will recover. Ultimately, reasons drive elections. For months, pundits yapped about Bush's lead in the polls without scrutinizing the basis of that lead. Now they're doing the same to Gore. But look closely at the trends beneath the horse-race numbers, and you'll realize why it's practically impossible to turn those numbers around. Gore doesn't just have the lead. On each underlying factor, he has the upside as well.

Why Bush is Toast

Maybe that'll cheer you up a little?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline CharlesD

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »
Obama isn't Gore.  Gore didn't have people fainting in his presence and legions of brain washed youth singing his praises.  I hope something happens in the next couple weeks to turn the tide.  I honestly can't believe that many people have fallen for his smoke and mirrors, but people have always been suckers for the smooth talker.  Somebody talk me away from the edge.
"To those who cite the First Amendment as reason for excluding God from more and more of our institutions and everyday life, may I just say: The First Amendment of the Constitution was not written to protect the people of this country from religious values; it was written to protect religious values from government tyranny."
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.demaristransportation.com

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 01:12:01 PM »
I can't believe that no matter how much Obamamamama talks about hope and change and knowingwhat we do about him that He would end up in the White House. Its got nothing to do with him being black but the lack of character and his full out support and belief in Socialist/Marxist idealogy.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »
I can't believe that no matter how much Obamamamama talks about hope and change and knowingwhat we do about him that He would end up in the White House. Its got nothing to do with him being black but the lack of character and his full out support and belief in Socialist/Marxist idealogy.

I'm with ya, I can't figure out how anyone with a brain can look at the promises for tax cuts and match it up with lots of new government programs, but then nothing said about terminating any old ones.  The soundbite stuff he has put out on his medical plan relies heavily on just magically cutting medical costs, which would make me bust a gut laughing if the lying bastard didn't look like he might actually get elected. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 01:31:45 PM »
I'm with ya, I can't figure out how anyone with a brain can look at the promises for tax cuts and match it up with lots of new government programs, but then nothing said about terminating any old ones.  The soundbite stuff he has put out on his medical plan relies heavily on just magically cutting medical costs, which would make me bust a gut laughing if the lying bastard didn't look like he might actually get elected. 
They WANT to believe.

If Obama gets in, crushes business, spends more without cutting elsewhere and stifles dissent it will be his fault for making the promises, not theirs for believing them...at least in their minds. And I'm talking about the independent middle as well as the leftist core. They want to believe there really is such a thing as a free lunch.

What kid wouldn't buy a broken down sports car from the greasiest used car salesman if the kid walked in wanting to believe the car ran as good as it looked and all for a presumably ridiculously low price.