Author Topic: Merged Topics: Bush's Speech & Op Ed by Newt Gingrich  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Merged Topics: Bush's Speech & Op Ed by Newt Gingrich
« on: September 24, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »
Great Article from Newt

Sunday, September 21, 2008
Before D.C. Gets Our Money, It Owes Us Some Answers    [Newt Gingrich]

Watching Washington rush to throw taxpayer money at Wall Street has been sobering and a little frightening.

We are being told Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson has a plan which will shift $700 billion in obligations from private companies to the taxpayer.

We are being warned that this $700 billion bailout is the only answer to a crisis.

We are being reassured that we can trust Secretary Paulson "because he knows what he is doing".

Congress had better ask a lot of questions before it shifts this much burden to the taxpayer and shifts this much power to a Washington bureaucracy.

Imagine that the political balance of power in Washington were different.

If this were a Democratic administration the Republicans in the House and Senate would be demanding answers and would be organizing for a “no” vote.

If a Democratic administration were proposing this plan, Republicans would realize that having Connecticut Democratic senator Chris Dodd (the largest recipient of political funds from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) as chairman of the Banking Committee guarantees that the Obama-Reid-Pelosi-Paulson plan that will emerge will be much worse as legislation than it started out as the Paulson proposal.

If this were a Democratic proposal, Republicans would remember that the Democrats wrote a grotesque housing bailout bill this summer that paid off their left-wing allies with taxpayer money, which despite its price tag of $300 billion has apparently failed as of last week, and could expect even more damage in this bill.

But because this gigantic power shift to Washington and this avalanche of taxpayer money is being proposed by a Republican administration, the normal conservative voices have been silent or confused.

It’s time to end the silence and clear up the confusion.

Congress has an obligation to protect the taxpayer.

Congress has an obligation to limit the executive branch to the rule of law.

Congress has an obligation to perform oversight.

Congress was designed by the Founding Fathers to move slowly, precisely to avoid the sudden panic of a one-week solution that becomes a 20-year mess.

The Rest Here

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Merged Topics: Bush's Speech & Op Ed by Newt Gingrich
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:08:52 PM »
It his best since 9/11 -- straight, fact-based, analytical and a good synopsis of where we are and where we need to go.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:17:33 PM »
As I understood it, he basically stated that we're screwed unless the .gov bails out these businesses. I'm not real inclined to agree. One question brought to mind by one of his statements is why do we NEED credit to get on with our daily lives ?!?!?!? Maybe, therein lies the problem.....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:26:51 PM »
As I understood it, he basically stated that we're screwed unless the .gov bails out these businesses. I'm not real inclined to agree. One question brought to mind by one of his statements is why do we NEED credit to get on with our daily lives ?!?!?!? Maybe, therein lies the problem.....

Then you don't understand the problem.

Do you pay cash for everything?  Your house?  Your cars? 

Do you know about M0/M1/M2, etc.?

Credit makes the workd go round.  And it is based on confidence.  If everyone called in their chits at the same time, the global economy would collapse.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:28:43 PM »

I'm against government bailouts (of course), but I am reading a lot of people that I have always considered to be brilliant as far as the economy goes saying that this could be catastrophic if something isn't done.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:28:50 PM »
Excellent article! I'm spreading that one around.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »

and politically speaking, now obama will officially be part of the "solution", should it come.  and THAT will pretty much rip the "great depression" issue away from him on the campaign trail.  how can we have a depression, when he was one of the ones that just helped fix it?  I assume that he will try to take credit for it, of course. :whatever:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:32:17 PM »

I'm against government bailouts (of course), but I am reading a lot of people that I have always considered to be brilliant as far as the economy goes saying that this could be catastrophic if something isn't done.

This is lynchpin time.  I agree and I am very leery of Government involvement, but this time we need it.

And, as Bush said, these will be investments that, in the long run, should provide a profit.  We, the taxpayers, made money on the Chrysler "bail out."

This is a question of time and cash flow -- the Feds have both.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 08:32:48 PM »
^WE, you have exactly 10000 posts now! :-)

Okay, back to the topic at hand....I hate the idea of taxpayer funded bailouts but I know something must be done. America functions best with her back against the wall. I have faith that we'll pull it together. I believe in capitalism and think we'll survive. It may be ugly for a while, but we'll get there. People do need to remain calm though.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »

Okay, back to the topic at hand....I hate the idea of taxpayer funded bailouts but I know something must be done. America functions best with her back against the wall. I have faith that we'll pull it together. I believe in capitalism and think we'll survive. It may be ugly for a while, but we'll get there. People do need to remain calm though.

that $700B price tag is way higher than it will ultimately turn out to be.  the second the legislation is in place, all of those mortgages are instantly worth more money (than the next to nothing that they are worth now).  I hate the hell out of this, but I will choose it over a catastrophe . . . this time.

(heh.  I saw nine thousand something this afternoon, but didn't think a lot about it. :-))

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 08:41:33 PM »

that $700B price tag is way higher than it will ultimately turn out to be.  the second the legislation is in place, all of those mortgages are instantly worth more money (than the next to nothing that they are worth now).  I hate the hell out of this, but I will choose it over a catastrophe . . . this time.

(heh.  I saw nine thousand something this afternoon, but didn't think a lot about it. :-))

That is only $70,000,000 per WE post.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:43:14 PM by freedumb2003 »

Offline Woody

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:46:04 PM »
Just got free to watch the speech, and it's almost 40 min after it started...

Anyone have a good synopsis?  I hope he covered a few important points:

- This isn't a bailout of companies, but of questionable debt.  
 - We're getting something for our investment.  It may not be worth as much as the actual investment, but it's better than $0.00.
 - Some people will lose their houses, but it won't be enough to set off a "death spiral" of decreasing home values -> more upside-down mortgages -> more mortgage defaults -> decreasing home values... etc.
 - Congress failed to properly oversee FNMA and FHLMC, and the regulatory changes in the 90s were a disaster.

In order to get Congress working, he may have needed to soft-peddle some of that.  But I hope he covered it well.  Bush has always been at his best when he speaks plainly, and I hope he did that as well.
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »

I would like that to be the case, but this is the Government were talking about. Frankly, If this only goes 30% over projection, we will be doing well.

Yes- I expect this to end up costing a trillion bucks when its all said and done.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 08:50:58 PM »
^me too. Ouch. Our grandchildren will shudder when they read about this time in our lives.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »
^me too. Ouch. Our grandchildren will shudder when they read about this time in our lives.

It is an investment, not a bail out.  It may even out-perform 1:1.

The grandkids will be too busy being pissed off paying for the Ponzi scheme known as SSI.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 08:55:06 PM »

It is an investment, not a bail out.  It may even out-perform 1:1.

The grandkids will be too busy being pissed off paying for the Ponzi scheme known as SSI.

Let's hope. Some of these congresscritters can eff up a free lunch. I'm double checking the fine print on anything they pass.

Offline Jim

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 08:58:24 PM »

Cash flow.

Virtually all business incorporates debt instruments to even out the cash flow as its impractical to wait on receipts.  Lines of credit are most common.  Money out, money in and over time its even.  If its allowed to go uneven or even if credit tightness occurs to where cost of cash is over plan, its bad news.  Think Jimmy Carter's stagflation. 
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 09:01:40 PM »
Freedumb, oh I get it. You'll never know just how much I "get it". My ex is a Real Estate broker/ agent. My current situation is a direct result of the collapsed real estate market. However, I'm doing as much cash transactions as I can and avoiding credit like the plague. Apparently I wasn't real clear, but when Bush said that we need to get this fixed in order to get on with our daily lives, that meant to me more than the house and car payments, suggesting it goes much further than those.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zeus

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »

This is lynchpin time.  I agree and I am very leery of Government involvement, but this time we need it.

And, as Bush said, these will be investments that, in the long run, should provide a profit.  We, the taxpayers, made money on the Chrysler "bail out."

This is a question of time and cash flow -- the Feds have both.

The Govt also made money on the savings & Loan bail out.

The Money infusion isn't nec a bad thing. The Changes to the Financial Mkts or how they operate may or may not be so good.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Wretched Excess

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:15 PM »
I think I understand it, but I sure as heck don't like it. I don't trust a single congresscritter or President Bush either. Somebody got real real rich off the backs of the American Taxpayer. They all suck.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 11:46:17 PM »
Call me crazy, but I like Newt's ideas better.  Especially the part about no capital gains tax...

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »
This article explains:

1. the structure of the financial mechanisms that failed

2. the klaws that exacerbated the situation

3. how the bailout doesn't really bail anything out, it resets values for tangible properties that the market is currently unable to assign value to.

4. how the dems plan on seizing even more of the economy under the radar

http://biglizards.net/blog/archives/2008/09/democrats_try_t_1.html

h/t: Ace of Spades HQ
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 06:46:02 AM »
This ain't funny but it is funny.

The world hates us because of our wealth. We use to many resources. We spread to much influence blah, blah, blah. Our economy has a bad case of the hic-ups and the world panics. Now they expect us to bail them out.

I lived my life as a "pay-as-you-go" citizen and saved the money that others have barrowed. Why should I be expected to bail them out now when I'm about to lose my ass? 
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 10:14:54 AM »

Then you don't understand the problem.

Do you pay cash for everything?  Your house?  Your cars? 

Do you know about M0/M1/M2, etc.?

Credit makes the workd go round.  And it is based on confidence.  If everyone called in their chits at the same time, the global economy would collapse.

Exactly.  Businesses work off lines of credit for restocking, payroll, inventory, rent, you name it.  Actually shutting down credit will screw everyone, and Joe Sixpack will get screwed a damned sight worse than the bankers in the deal.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.