Author Topic: McCain Suspends Campaign to Focus on Economy; Wants Debate Delay  (Read 17574 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
McCain Suspends Campaign to Focus on Economy; Wants Debate Delay
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »
McCain Suspends Campaign to Help With Bailout

by Sharon Kehnemui Liss, FOXNews.com
Wednesday, September 24, 2008

BREAKING

John McCain asked the Presidential Debate Commission on Wednesday to postpone Friday’s scheduled debate with Barack Obama so that he can work on the financial crisis bailout plan now on Capitol Hill.

The Arizona Republican senator said he will suspend his presidential campaign on Thursday to return to Washington to help with bailout negotiations. He urged Obama to do the same.

(too short to excerpt)

Link

** used thread subject from second dup for the merged thread;  it was much more descriptive  -- WE**
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:15:48 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Lanie

Re: McCain Suspends Campaign to Help With Bailout
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:09:19 PM »
That makes a good impression on me because it shows he'll put the job before getting elected.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:11:01 PM »

wow.  he suspended the convention for Ike, and is suspending his whole campaign for the bail out bill . . . .

he is certainly putting all of his chips on this deal of the cards.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
McCain Suspends Campaign to Focus on Economy; Wants Debate Delay
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 02:14:21 PM »
 :o :o :o

MCCAIN SUSPENDS CAMPAIGN TO FOCUS ON ECONOMY; WANTS DEBATE DELAY
Wed Sept 24 2008 14:58:02 ET

MCCAIN: America this week faces an historic crisis in our financial system. We must pass legislation to address this crisis. If we do not, credit will dry up, with devastating consequences for our economy. People will no longer be able to buy homes and their life savings will be at stake. Businesses will not have enough money to pay their employees. If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted. We cannot allow this to happen.

Last Friday, I laid out my proposal and I have since discussed my priorities and concerns with the bill the Administration has put forward. Senator Obama has expressed his priorities and concerns.This morning, I met with a group of economic advisers to talk about the proposal on the table and the steps that we should take going forward.I have also spoken with members of Congress to hear their perspective.

It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the Administration' proposal. I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.

Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

The rest of this one is at Drudge--in red.

Also, . . .

McCain seeks to delay debate to focus on economy 

Sep 24 02:58 PM US/Eastern
By BETH FOUHY
Associated Press Writer Write a Comment         

NEW YORK (AP) - Republican John McCain says he's directing his staff to work with Barack Obama's campaign and the debate commission to delay Friday's debate because of the economic crisis.

In a statement, McCain says he will stop campaigning after addressing former President Bill Clinton's Global Initiative session on Thursday and return to Washington to focus on the nation's financial problems.

McCain also said he wants President Bush to convene a leadership meeting in Washington. Both he and Obama would attend the session.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

That one is at:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D93D8TDO0&show_article=1

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Digger

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: McCain Suspends Campaign to Focus on Economy; Wants Debate Delay
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:27:45 PM »
Leadership!

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »
Holy clankin brass ones!!!

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »
There is a poll over at Michelle Malkin's site about how it will be viewed.  As of a couple of minutes ago, the response, "Great chess move--he outflanked Obama" is up with 63% of the total vote.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »
Holy clankin brass ones!!!

Amen!  Sounds/looks like he may actually MEAN his campaign message of "Country First".

This move is - if not the honest first impulses of someone who loves his country (which I strongly suspect it is) - damned near Rovian in it's execution.  Lord Rove should be proud of his Padowan.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »
Classic Judo.

He starts this and calls for bipartisan work on the issue and what exactly is Obama going to do?

Fekking Brilliant!!!

Offline jendf

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »
Still digesting this and not sure how I feel about it yet. But the monkeys over at the DUmp are flinging poo around at breakneck speed in reaction to this move. That must mean McCain did something right.  :lmao:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »
I'm listing to Michael Medved and he just said that Obama's campaign manager is claiming it was Obama's idea first.   :whatever:

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »
Still digesting this and not sure how I feel about it yet. But the monkeys over at the DUmp are flinging poo around at breakneck speed in reaction to this move. That must mean McCain did something right.  :lmao:

H5 for Moral Clarity! ;)

(And I stealed your line to use on eyelids at TOS. :-))

Offline jendf

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »

H5 for Moral Clarity! ;)

(And I stealed your line to use on eyelids at TOS. :-))

Go for it!  :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 03:11:42 PM »

merged the dups in E2008 and BN.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »
I'm listing to Michael Medved and he just said that Obama's campaign manager is claiming it was Obama's idea first.   :whatever:

How dare you even for one second think it wasn't!  Everything is Obama's idea first, everything.  Just ask him. :-)

I think this is a presidential move on McCain's part.  Obama called McCain about a joint statement on the economy.  I don't think suspending campaigning would be foremost in Obama's mind since he has to fundraise every day to pay for those Greek columns.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 03:16:19 PM »
The Obama camp wants to work on a reform/aid package, commence with the debate as scheduled on Friday, and then return to DC if a bill has yet to be sent to the floor for a vote.

Yeah, I'm sure these fragile credit markets will suspend all trading on the NYSE while you and your party counterparts continue with your inanities and roadblocking, jackass.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »

he obviously means it.  this is the equivalent of unilateral disarmament, though.

McCain taking ads down

Aiming to prove how serious he is about addressing the financial crisis, John McCain has instructed his staff to take all his campaign commercials off the air, a spokesman tells Politico.

"As John McCain said, now is the time to put partisanship aside and come together to do the work that the American people expect," said Tucker Bounds.

McCain aides are now in the process of contacting TV station across the country to get their ads taken down, according to Bounds.

Asked how long they would go dark, Bounds only said: "We're taking our guidance from Sen. McCain on that."

Link

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »

he obviously means it.  this is the equivalent of unilateral disarmament, though.

McCain taking ads down

Aiming to prove how serious he is about addressing the financial crisis, John McCain has instructed his staff to take all his campaign commercials off the air, a spokesman tells Politico.

"As John McCain said, now is the time to put partisanship aside and come together to do the work that the American people expect," said Tucker Bounds.

McCain aides are now in the process of contacting TV station across the country to get their ads taken down, according to Bounds.

Asked how long they would go dark, Bounds only said: "We're taking our guidance from Sen. McCain on that."

Link

This is just damn brilliant. I see right now one ready to lead and another still gaging the mood of people first.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »

McCain taking ads down

Link

This is just damn brilliant. I see right now one ready to lead and another still gaging the mood of people first.

he will need to poll this, and check in with the daily kos and george soros before he can take a position on this . . .  :whatever:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »
Unilateral disarmament it may be.

But every time an Obama ad runs in the next five weeks - especially since 77% of the man's ads have been deemed "negative" by those who measure sugh things - I can see teh Obamessiah taking a "HUGH" hit for it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »

the markets were certainly registering their concern:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »
and what exactly is Obama going to do?

Barakstar! will very shortly come down from The Mountainr and after having put it through focus groups opinion polls and and licking his finger and sticking it in the air...read to us from stone tablets exactly what he intends to do to "heal" the economy.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Unilateral disarmament it may be.

But every time an Obama ad runs in the next five weeks - especially since 77% of the man's ads have been deemed "negative" by those who measure sugh things - I can see teh Obamessiah taking a "HUGH" hit for it.

it's a lose-lose for obama.  if he continues to campaign, he is looks craven and opportunistic.  if he submits to mccain's request, he looks like a follower, and mccain looks like the real leader.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »
so will this debate go on Friday night? 

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 03:36:14 PM »
Hell, yeah, country first. Although Barack Hussein Obama would be worthless again even if he did go back to the Senate, and he probably won't. He's probably still waiting on the word from Soros.

But McCain, he is gutsy - this is another one of his bold and courageous, offensive moves that are sincere. Some cable news show said Barack Hussein Obama was supposed to release a statement on this at 4:45 EDT, better fire up that teleprompter.