Author Topic: FBI Investigating Potential Fraud by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman, AIG  (Read 2018 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
WASHINGTON —  The FBI is investigating four major U.S. financial institutions whose collapse helped trigger a $700 billion bailout plan by the Bush administration, The Associated Press has learned.

Two law enforcement officials said Tuesday the FBI is looking at potential fraud by mortgage finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and insurer American International Group Inc. Additionally, a senior law enforcement official said Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. also is under investigation.

The inquiries will focus on the financial institutions and the individuals that ran them, the senior law enforcement official said.

The law enforcement officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigations are ongoing and are in the very early stages.

Officials said the new inquiries bring to 26 the number of corporate lenders under investigation over the past year.

Spokesmen for AIG, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac did not immediately return calls for comment Tuesday evening. A Lehman spokesman did not have an immediate comment.

Just last week, FBI Director Robert Mueller put the number of large financial firms under investigation at 24. He did not name any of the companies under investigation but said the FBI also was looking at whether any of them have misrepresented their assets.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,426783,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: FBI Investigating Potential Fraud by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman, AIG
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »
Potential?? :confused:

Um...it's no-brainer.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:37:47 PM »

Um...it's no-brainer.

You would think that...but from what I've read and heard in the news...Fannie and Freddie are loaded with former Clinton WH folks.

Nothing will happen with this investigation.  It's a distraction from the fact that the Dems used them both as their personal money jar.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »

Um...it's no-brainer.

You would think that...but from what I've read and heard in the news...Fannie and Freddie are loaded with former Clinton WH folks.

Nothing will happen with this investigation.  It's a distraction from the fact that the Dems used them both as their personal money jar.
I'm listening to Mark Levin from last night and he's played McCainez on 60 Minutes saying he would replace SEC chairman Cox with Andrew Cuomo who, along with the ubiquitous Jamie Gorelick, is one of the architects of the current financial crisis.  So yeah, pretty much nothing will happen.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
Ihope they include Chris Dodd and B.Obama in this
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »

Um...it's no-brainer.

Rush was making the point the other day that "Obama came into the senate with no money, but two years later, he's buying a 1.5 million dollar house?? where did the money come from so fast? yeah, he's gotten more money from Fannie May and Freddie Mac in a shorter amount of time than anyone else. but he's number two on the list of 'donations' from the mortgage giants to buy their way into the White House.

i know a lot of them are corrupt.. but Obama is setting a new standard of late.  :popcorn:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:26:29 AM »

Um...it's no-brainer.

Rush was making the point the other day that "Obama came into the senate with no money, but two years later, he's buying a 1.5 million dollar house?? where did the money come from so fast? yeah, he's gotten more money from Fannie May and Freddie Mac in a shorter amount of time than anyone else. but he's number two on the list of 'donations' from the mortgage giants to buy their way into the White House.

i know a lot of them are corrupt.. but Obama is setting a new standard of late.  :popcorn:

I think when he started running for the WH his book started selling like hotcakes. So most of his income came from royalties.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:20:11 AM »
I think when he started running for the WH his book started selling like hotcakes. So most of his income came from royalties.

I don't know how well sales went for it, but the really big names like Hillary actually reap their profits in the form of advances from the publisher, not waiting for royalty checks to accumulate.  They profit even if their books never sell in the numbers that would amortize the advances.  It is kind of tied up with counting coup and rep in the publishing industry to get one of these big name commitments, actual success of the book is almost secondary, and with political figures there is a certainty that there will be a large soft-money buy of them to take the sting out even if the public at large yawns it off.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:16:22 PM »

I don't know how well sales went for it, but the really big names like Hillary actually reap their profits in the form of advances from the publisher, not waiting for royalty checks to accumulate.  They profit even if their books never sell in the numbers that would amortize the advances.  It is kind of tied up with counting coup and rep in the publishing industry to get one of these big name commitments, actual success of the book is almost secondary, and with political figures there is a certainty that there will be a large soft-money buy of them to take the sting out even if the public at large yawns it off.

Unless your Nancy Pelosi.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »

Um...it's no-brainer.

possibly.. did he start running for the WH right after getting into the Senate?

oh wait... stupid question  :-)