Author Topic: The state that sued homeschoolers...Educators Alarmed by High Dropout Rates  (Read 1330 times)

Offline MrsSmith

Educators Alarmed by High Dropout Rates Among Teens

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,425623,00.html

>>>snip

In California, educators are using new tracking data called the Statewide Student Identifier System to get a better handle on the dropout rate and where kids end up going. Recently, they were surprised to learn the figures were twice what they originally thought.

"When you look at the dropout figures for California, the 24.2 percent figure is totally unacceptable," said Jack O'Connell, the state's superintendent of public instruction.

>>>snip

His research shows California dropouts from a single year, the class of 2009 for instance, could cost state and federal governments nearly $50 billion dollars over the course of their lives in lost wages, social programs, incarceration and health care costs

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: The state that sued homeschoolers...Educators Alarmed by High Dropout Rates
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:08:53 PM »
What a pity.  Their governmental concerns about the citizens are only as deep as the state's pocket.  Drop out rates are unacceptable because the state will lose money, otherwise to hell with the individuals who will suffer. 

Maybe the state should go back and examine what was different about the education system before the drop out rate got so high, and then try to mimic that time.  Something about the present system is obviously failing the students.

Sometimes "regressive" is better than "progressive".     

Offline Jim

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »
How much of that 24% are illegals ?

Hopefully they just went back home.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 04:11:07 PM »
We spend $10,000 and still have problems. It is not about how about how much money we spend. We need to completely change the school system. People should have a choice to go to what school they want too.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
We spend $10,000 and still have problems. It is not about how about how much money we spend. We need to completely change the school system. People should have a choice to go to what school they want too.
The best local Christian school charges less than $300 a month (for 9 months) to educate kids.  Just as with homeschooled kids, the colleges around here fight like crazy for these kids because they're actually able to do the work. 

Conversely, at the Open House for my daughter's public middle school, the science teacher told us that she wasn't getting too particular over the kids' first report because her laptops weren't working right, yet.  One parent asked her why they can't do research in encyclopedias, the way we did.  She didn't answer him.  (And KS public schools get about half what yours get, about $5300 per kid.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:23:06 PM by MrsSmith »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 04:54:07 PM »

I thought that people used to have a choice of where to send their children.  They made that choice by choosing the neighborhood where they wanted to live.  That is  until desegregation came along, they did. Those that could moved to where the better schools were. 

Is there any correlation between increasing enrollment at parochial/private schools and desegregation ?

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 05:46:39 PM »

I thought that people used to have a choice of where to send their children.  They made that choice by choosing the neighborhood where they wanted to live.  That is  until desegregation came along, they did. Those that could moved to where the better schools were. 

Is there any correlation between increasing enrollment at parochial/private schools and desegregation ?

I had a colleague who is Black and she went to a Catholic school all her life. Her parents made her go to Catholic School.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »
24 percent is just the average. Hispanics have a dropout rate approaching 50 percent. Third world status, here we come!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 07:41:31 PM »
It gets worse.  A decade ago, recruiting in LA, I got to see the best AND the worst.  It's truly frightening.  One school (Bell HS--LAUSD) had 2500 freshman, but fewer than 600 seniors, not all of which were going to be able to graduate.  It had been that way for years.

Yes, boys and girls, a 75 PERCENT DROPOUT RATE.

Frankly, the 24 percent figure is low, because the way the CA educator/bean counters figure it out, a kid can drop out of a regular high school but if they eventually get a GED or go to "alternative" or adult school, then they're not a dropout (sorta).

Yet for all of that, in California today, less than 70 percent of the 18-25 population holds a HS diploma.  You can't blame all that on illegals, folks.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »
My mom always insisted that Europe had the right idea...if a kid doesn't want to go to school, or just does very poorly, take him/her out and apprentice them to learn a job.  I don't know if they still do this, but when Mom went to school, kids went until 8th grade and then they started weeding them out and putting them straight into careers.  Essentially, voc-tech instead of high school. 

Going to college wasn't something you "had" to do.  It was something you had to work hard to earn.  If our kids were presented with this...go to a job, or work you tail off to earn a place in a college, it would create an entirely different attitude.  What teen doesn't bust tail just to show everyone they can do it?

Offline Jim

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 09:51:51 PM »
My mom always insisted that Europe had the right idea...if a kid doesn't want to go to school, or just does very poorly, take him/her out and apprentice them to learn a job.  I don't know if they still do this, but when Mom went to school, kids went until 8th grade and then they started weeding them out and putting them straight into careers.  Essentially, voc-tech instead of high school. 

Going to college wasn't something you "had" to do.  It was something you had to work hard to earn.  If our kids were presented with this...go to a job, or work you tail off to earn a place in a college, it would create an entirely different attitude.  What teen doesn't bust tail just to show everyone they can do it?

They get directed pretty early into aptitude appropriate education there.  One reason their dropout rates and overall performance is better.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 07:19:55 AM »

They get directed pretty early into aptitude appropriate education there.  One reason their dropout rates and overall performance is better.
So they still do it?  Knowing how teens think, just the fact that college is difficult to attain would make so many of them see it as a challenge instead of a "have to."  Competition works.  It's too bad our school systems are run by libs who really believe that competition is evil.

Offline EastFacingNorth

• Math Geek
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »

Oh, I absolutely agree.  Most college students truly don't belong in college - they don't have the aptitude and/or they're pursuing careers which in a sane world would require no college degree but a lot more training.

Heck, I do pretty well in college myself (graduating cum laude in December) but if I'd had an established route to becoming, say, an electrician straight out of high school, I doubt I'd ever have bothered with college.
Taxation if and only if Representation.

The Founding Fathers only got it half right.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »

Oh, I absolutely agree.  Most college students truly don't belong in college - they don't have the aptitude and/or they're pursuing careers which in a sane world would require no college degree but a lot more training.

Heck, I do pretty well in college myself (graduating cum laude in December) but if I'd had an established route to becoming, say, an electrician straight out of high school, I doubt I'd ever have bothered with college.
Everything I learned in my Voc-Tech school, I could have learned in high school, if we'd had the correct programs set up back then.  I make as much money with my Associates as Mr Smith does with a AS, a BS, and 2 Masters degrees.  Military training for my job takes something like 6 months, if I recall correctly.  Why does our system insist on forcing kids to go to school instead of just teaching them how to be adults??   :thatsright: