Author Topic: So I'm going to tell a story I've never told before to anyone  (Read 39 times)

0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline CC27

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7237
  • Reputation: +2169/-31
Quote
PCIntern (29,173 posts)

So I'm going to tell a story I've never told before to anyone

When I was in my late 20’s and into my early 30’s I was active in an international dental organization that was both philanthropic and anti-discriminatory and was renowned at the time for being so. I was one of approximately 90 so-called international officers who represented geographic regions which were apportioned in the late 1920’s. My particular area had fallen on some very hard times and as a recent graduate and faculty member of the university from which I had graduated, I felt that we could resurrect our chapters and become strong again.

Now in my region we had some very powerfully political individuals within the organization but who did not join our local chapter, the dues for which were less than $150.00 annually. It was curious: these people within the organization were kingmakers and huge contributors but would not deign to join our local and yet they demanded invitations to all functions and were quite active in the pre-doctoral chapters. As you can imagine, this was somewhat frustrating and I mentioned it at a regional meeting to a few individuals who had demanded to know why our membership rolls were so low.

I no sooner returned home than I received a phone call from this very very connected, powerful individual who was raging mad. He really went after me with the “How dare you’s” and the “you are in no position to question my motives” diatribes. At first I was scared to death and then I remembered a story which I had heard some years before.

When he was finished I said, and I’m only slightly paraphrasing: I fully heard everything you just stated to me and I’m taking it as a threat upon my person. I want you to understand that my work and my position mean everything to me, since I have clawed my way up from poverty, and there is no telling what I am capable of doing when I go into an uncontrolled rage. No telling. So I just want you to understand this at this exact moment.”

Dead silence. After that we both pretended that that never occurred and that we were comrades-in-arms both at the university and within the organization. It was tacitly understood that each of us posed a mutually-assured destruction capability. The delicious irony was that when he died, the editor of the newspaper here was a patient of mine and called me to comment for the obituary. I gave him a lovely tribute which was included in the obit and it must have called all of his assholery buddies and hangers-on that I, who had virtually no significant association with him was one of two people cited in the article.

The story which I had recalled in the middle of the phone conversation concerned a dental student from up North who was at the University of Alabama in the 1970’s. He was called into the Dean’s office and was told that although his grades and laboratory performance was more than satisfactory, it was necessary to dismiss five percent of the class and that unfortunately for him, he would be included. He apparently said to the Dean, “ All my life all I’ve ever wanted was to be a dentist. If I am not going to achieve this I have no reason to go on living and believe me, I will take you and your family with me if that is the case.” He just walked out and guess who was not expelled? This is in fact a true story, I taught with a former faculty member who was a visiting professor there and said that the ripples went throughout the school.

The point of this is that there are always ways to deal with aggressive bullying individuals and since for the most part they threaten terrible consequences, then it is a language which they understand and must needs be used against them. If just one Republican candidate all those years ago on the debate stage really went after Trump hard, this could all have been avoided. But they just stood there smiling while he insulted them, their wives, their parents, and their heritages. It would have taken just one of them to go on a vituperative rant, and he would have been smacked like a fly by a flyswatter. Too little, too late now.

https://democraticunderground.com/100221536841

You are one the biggest, self-absorbed, arrogant, and ignorant people on earth.

Offline SVPete

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 34663
  • Reputation: +3961/-248
 :wtf3:  :yourpoint:  :wtf3:  :yourpoint:  :wtf3:  :yourpoint:  :wtf3:  :yourpoint:  :wtf3:  :yourpoint:  :wtf3:  :yourpoint:  :wtf3:  :yourpoint:  :wtf3:  :yourpoint:  :wtf3:
Whose Shampeachment Is It Anyway, where the high crimes are made up, and the evidence doesn't matter

Offline Old n Grumpy

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 10288
  • Reputation: +2353/-13
He's going to break his arm patting himself on the back! :lmao:

His head is so big I don't know how he gets through a door. :thatsright: :mental: :loser: :loser: :loser:

I must confess I didn't read the whole BS story!

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege and toxic masculinity while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline ADsOutburst

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6550
  • Reputation: +2030/-14
Quote
The point of this is that there are always ways to deal with aggressive bullying individuals and since for the most part they threaten terrible consequences, then it is a language which they understand and must needs be used against them. If just one Republican candidate all those years ago on the debate stage really went after Trump hard, this could all have been avoided. But they just stood there smiling while he insulted them, their wives, their parents, and their heritages. It would have taken just one of them to go on a vituperative rant, and he would have been smacked like a fly by a flyswatter. Too little, too late now.

Republican voters chose Trump over those other candidates because they were tired of do-nothing Republicans who talk a good game on conservative policy, but are generally ineffectual politicians. Their non-response to being insulted by Trump is reflected in how they react when insulted by Democrats. How much ground have Democrats gained simply because Republicans wouldn't oppose them wholheartedly?

Indeed, we may not have had a President Trump today if the other mainstream Republicans had shown that they have spine. But that's because there wouldn't have been a need for him.

Offline 67 Rover

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6866
  • Reputation: +1963/-42
Quote
PCIntern (29,173 posts)

So

This is the point at which I stopped reading and called BS. ::)

Oh yea, cool story bro.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:25:23 PM by 67 Rover »
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline RonE

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 661
  • Reputation: +294/-1
Republican voters chose Trump over those other candidates because they were tired of do-nothing Republicans who talk a good game on conservative policy, but are generally ineffectual politicians. Their non-response to being insulted by Trump is reflected in how they react when insulted by Democrats. How much ground have Democrats gained simply because Republicans wouldn't oppose them wholheartedly?

Indeed, we may not have had a President Trump today if the other mainstream Republicans had shown that they have spine. But that's because there wouldn't have been a need for him.

 :cheersmate: :cheersmate: :cheersmate: