Author Topic: Boston Gloge columnist screws up and tells the truth: I DON'T support the troops  (Read 2334 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2008/09/18/supporting_our_troops/

Supporting our troops
By Steve Almond
September 18, 2008

PERHAPS the most insidious byproduct of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, has been a reflexive sanctification of the military. To put this in bumper stickerese: Support the Troops.

Well, I have an ugly confession to make: I don't support the troops - at least not unconditionally. When somebody tells me they serve in the military, my first impulse isn't to say, "Thank you for your service!" like those insufferable chickenhawks on talk radio.

My first impulse is to say, "I'm sorry to hear that." Because I am. I'm sorry to know that the person I'm talking to might someday be maimed or killed on the job, or might someday kill someone else. Or refuel a plane that drops bombs on buildings.

I can't see how anyone who calls himself or herself Christian - or human, for that matter - wouldn't be sorry.

The fact that we have an army, that we need an army, is inherently tragic. It's an admission that our species is still ruled by fear and aggression.

There are, of course, plenty of laudable functions that soldiers serve. But their sworn duty is to wage war. They may perform this duty with courage. They may feel great love for their country. But we don't pay them simply for their patriotism or integrity. We also pay them to kill people.

And here it's worth making a point often overlooked. Anyone who pays taxes in this country "supports the troops." We're the ones who subsidize their training and equipment and medical care and education.

I'm happy to do so, as long as I believe those soldiers are being deployed on a mission that feels morally necessary - targeting terrorists who seek to kill civilians, for instance, or trying to prevent a genocide.

The problem with the knee-jerk militarism of the past several years is that it has led to an absence of financial and moral oversight that is fundamentally undemocratic. Our troops have become human shields for war criminals and profiteers.

Asshat of the Year.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Id expect nothing less from the Boston Globe-Democrat. (HT - Michael Graham, 96.9 WTKK)

Offline formerlurker

And here it's worth making a point often overlooked. Anyone who pays taxes in this country "supports the troops." We're the ones who subsidize their training and equipment and medical care and education.

...and they in turn ensure your freedom.    Quite the bang for your buck isn't it?

Offline Woody

As someone who's worn the uniform, and financially supports a number of charities related to the military, I have to say that the feeling is very mutual.

The troops don't support you, either. 
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
LA Times columnist Joel Stein did the same thing 2 or 3 years ago.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline DumbAss Tanker

The evil part of me wishes he was an embed and I was there to lie to him and tell him a building full of head-chopping assholes was already cleared and ready for him to take a look-see.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
But then you remember the paperwork involved in documenting how an asshat reporter embedded with you was too stupid to keep his head out of the line of fire, and it becomes an open toss up as to whether the prick is worth the writers cramp.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

But then you remember the paperwork involved in documenting how an asshat reporter embedded with you was too stupid to keep his head out of the line of fire, and it becomes an open toss up as to whether the prick is worth the writers cramp.

Sadly, yes...hence one of the main teaching points I try to get across to young Soldiers, NCOs and officers I've mentored:  "It's usually a bad idea to do the thing that's going to feel really good - stop and think it through."
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Sadly, there were probably hundreds of idiots in Cambridge coffee houses this morning who nodded their heads like rubbernecked versions of Monica when reading those words.

Why can't we do what they accuse us of doing, like shipping their asses to the camp, etc?  I know, I know--feels good, bad idea.  But then again, one of the benefits of free speech is the ability to see the stupid ones right away.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
If he hates the troops than GET THE **** OUT OF AMERICA!!!!!!!!!! Anyone who hates and bashes our troops should be human shields for our soldiers, so they die, not the soldier. I rather sacrifice my life to save a soldier's life than a journalist's life. Journalists are at the bottom of least trustful people, even worse than insurance adjusters and used car salesmen. Another troop hating scumbag like Michael Crook and Fred Phelps.
:loser2: :bird: :redbird: :foff:

I have even more respect for them after Ike. Well, I always had respect for them period.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:16:14 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Airwolf

The evil part of me wishes he was an embed and I was there to lie to him and tell him a building full of head-chopping assholes was already cleared and ready for him to take a look-see.

Or he could suddenly find himself alone in the middle of someplace he really doesn't want to be without a bunch of well trained guys with guns  and grenades to pull his ass out of the fire. You wouldn't need Jihad Jonnys help,just let him wonder in his mind how hes going to make it back on his own. Fear can make a great weapon in itself. It would probably be pretty funny to see him walking back in the front gate with a brown streak in the back of  his pants and a yellow one in the front.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Peter3_1

It is amazing how mouthy and "brave" guys like Almond can be safe and warm here in the USA. Bozo's like him need to be in harm's way for a while. THEN let's hear from them.

Offline MrsSmith

Our troops have become human shields for war criminals and profiteers.

You know, the media has trumpeted this lie so long and so hard that many people actually believe it.  It's just sad when people don't look into anything, but just buy the "headline" as truth.   :thatsright:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Airwolf

Our troops have become human shields for war criminals and profiteers.

You know, the media has trumpeted this lie so long and so hard that many people actually believe it.  It's just sad when people don't look into anything, but just buy the "headline" as truth.   :thatsright:

If you reread that line it makes oerfect sese if you think of as talking about the media. Between Dan Rathers POS ****up on the TANG papers and how the news media profits on video of dead troops every night on TV that is.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
It is funny how these idiot libs can't contain themselves as we close in on the election.

Keep it up Globe, you ******* asshats.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.